Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 10:43

Default smoking ban

Just read in the local paper in Palma that a smoking ban starts tomorrow, anybody heard anything about it in PP. Hope its true (sorry smokers)
GPM
Sponsored Links
Old 31-12-2009, 15:21

Don't know what this is all about, as according to the goverment they where still putting the final touches to the non-smoking bill two weeks ago, before then putting it too the parliment for the vote, early next year...
Old 31-12-2009, 15:27

This year (2009) went into Anthony's leather shop restaurant (Inca) - no smoking signs on all the tables - guy with a blue shirt smoking away - was about to say something to him until I realised he was a policeman!
During the summer I had reason to visit the Guardia Civil office in the Port. Signs on the door say building non smoking - Policeman on reception was smoking a cigar!
Old 31-12-2009, 16:37
Super Moderator

The Spanish will probably ignore it, i will let you know tomorrow if i am not too hungover to venture out.
Old 31-12-2009, 21:49

number of places we were in folks were talking about it, being a smoker myself my only comment is that it is bad maners to smoke indoors with non smokers! its no great hardship to go outside for a quick puff
Old 01-01-2010, 20:49

If only every smoker thought the same, don't want to start another tedious thread about the for/against, but on a recent visit we had the misfortune of having quite a few smokers sitting next to us, we tried to ignore it but it became so bad we had to vacate the table and sit elsewhere. Is it too much for these people to step outside and enjoy their smoke, a bars bad enough, and you can easily walk away if it's bothering you, but a enclosed restaurant becomes a nightmare, you're unlikely to abandon a expensive meal.
Old 01-01-2010, 20:50

Totally agree gers - if we want to live in harmony we puffers have to be respectful of those who do not

GG
Old 01-01-2010, 21:10
Super Moderator

It seems that the ban is going to happen, but it has not been made law yet. Talking to people today, it looks like it may come into force in the late spring or summer.
Old 01-01-2010, 23:43

smiddy/gg, while at trio for our xmas lunch there were 2 young spaniards puffing away like mad at the table next to us, it was getting in my youngests eyes and was making her cough, i simply approached them and pointed this out to which they refrained from smoking, not the first time i have done this when abroad and never had a bad reaction to my plea, perhaps its a british thing that we just dont complain enough
Old 02-01-2010, 00:40

Hmm, harmony GG ? when smiddy refers to smokers as 'these people' ? ... and smiddy... whats ur tipple... after dinner brandy? a wee whisky or a lovely rich coffee... like to take it outside? ( ur from glw for heavens sake ! does the idea of standing outside for the final touch to ur meal appeal ? )
tedious.... u got no idea how tedious
Rant over !

AFAIK.. restaurants must have non smoking areas... for a fact Trio does (in fact - the majority of the indoor seating area) and in Trio u have to request a smoking table.(as is the case in most restaurants) So Im sorry to hear gers, that u had a problem, especially as it was ur xmas dinner tho as u say it was relsolved without issue, just not sure especially in Trio, how it happened.

A realistic balance would be good, but seems difficult to achieve as it appears that even when non smoking areas are supplied problems still arise.

Miriam
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by med777 View Post
So Im sorry to hear gers, that u had a problem, especially as it was ur xmas dinner tho as u say it was relsolved without issue, just not sure especially in Trio, how it happened.
we sat just inside the main door to the left near the front widow, the young couple were sitting by the whisky bottle dispaly on their own, as i left between courses for a puff a waiter seen me leaving with my cigs in hand and told me no reason to go outside as was ok to smoke there, i refused the offer and went outside

Last edited by gers1873; 02-01-2010 at 01:25.
Old 02-01-2010, 13:23

Med, A rant indeed! If you must know my tipple is a nice wee glass of Rioja, but strangely enough i sit at my table and drink it quietly not spoiling my fellow diners enjoyment, maybe if i poured it over their heads it would annoy them? And yes, i am from Glasgow, were everyone from day one has respected the smoking ban and simply stand outdoors, nobody's asking you not to smoke, but i have no desire to inhale your end product, it ruins a non-smokers meal. What part of that polite request do you not understand?

Last edited by Smiddy; 02-01-2010 at 13:25.
Old 02-01-2010, 13:40

Gers, you are gent indeed and the first gold star of the new year is awarded to you! This is such a bad topic to get back into though as it never changes peoples attitudes one way or the other. Those who dont smoke will never see the enjoyment of second hand smoke, and those who do are split into the ones who understand the non smokers and the ones who dont. Is there an answer that brings harmony to us all? Probably not! Roll on the summer so we can all sit outside again!
Old 02-01-2010, 13:42

I think it's best that we close this topic now as I can't seeing it adding any value to the forum. If you would like to debate the discussion further, you're all welcome to come to the Tapas Bar.
Closed Thread