Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2009, 10:57

Default Memories

Carrying on from my reply to the thread 'A week in September' I thought we could have a thread where we can post our memories of Puerto Pollensa, Pollensa, Alcudia etc.

Hopefully it will give us some good reading over the winter months.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-11-2009, 17:13

Whaley - I am supposed to be starting to get really busy at work from now and you go and start this thread!! My mind will be all over the place

Now it all started in 1968 I think.......

GG
Old 27-11-2009, 19:19

For me 1982 year of the Facnet Race with gale force winds
Old 27-11-2009, 20:05

brilliant thread!

first visited pp about 12 years ago, we were staying all inclusive in the don pedro in csv and visited friends for the day who were staying in the pollensa mar apartments, 1st time in pp and loved it from day one

we decided to book the pollensa mar for the following year soon after we returned home, duely booked me, mrs gers the 2 bluebells and the inlaws for the following summer (the inlaws had visited pp many times between mid 60's and early 80's but hadnt been for about 20 years)

flight left very late from glasgow and we didnt arrive in pp till about 4 in the morning, not good with a 3 year and 7 year old girls, after a few hours sleep went next door to the bonanza for a bite to eat and thats where it all really started, we were welcomed by a fat spaniard with a broad scottish accent (miguel) as we found out later that day the accent was picked up from his long term girlfriend at the time as she was from rutherglen and he had it down to a "t" and my girls, wife and mother in law loved it i myself wasnt as impressed when he disclosed he was celtic daft

over the years when our children were young we holidyed up that end twice a year and have great memories of watching our children learn to swim in the pool, memories of friends and family who came with us over the years and great memories of people whom we had great times with there that are no longer with us, has also been great meeting new friends too

as time went on i became great friends with miguel and was honered a number of years ago to be invited to his and frans birthday party (yes they are actually twins) the bar was closed for the evening and wile juan, raffa and manolo cooked up the fayre in the kitchen mrs gers and myself were made to feel very welcome by the rest of the family, one of the best nights out of our lives

we all feel badly about the demise of the bonanza as i'm sure many others do but we are very much looking forward to our first visit to batacuda in the next few weeks, cant wait to share a beer with my old friend
Old 27-11-2009, 20:19

Restaurant Daus on the Calvario, now the material museum. What a setting
Old 27-11-2009, 21:21

Default First Visit to PP

I think we first went to PP about 12 years ago. We were staying at a hell hole in Alcudia and had hired a car to get away from the place and stumbled upon PP and CSV on a drive out one afternoon. We were very taken with CSV and stayed there on and off for the next 10 years. We raved on about the area so much that my parents went to the Daina where they have returned to year after year. One of my best memories is of my two boys diving under the bench at the begining of the pine walk (near Corb Mari) to retrieve stickers their grandad had hidden there a couple of weeks earlier. They were no way waiting for the elderly German couple to move on and just went between their legs
My husband insists that we stopped off once before in PP in pre children days but I have no recollection of this, so don't believe that I wouldn't remember somewhere that is now so special to all the family!
I am looking forward to reading lots more on this thread - thanks for starting it whaleywanderer
Old 27-11-2009, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Restaurant Daus on the Calvario, now the material museum. What a setting
So true. I had many a good night in there.

The last person to run a restaurant at Daus was a French lady called Christine who, previously, had run La Font dell Gall. I think she ran into some problems at Daus with the landlord and had to go. She tried to set up another restaurant in the Mal Pas area of Alcudia but it didn't work out. It was a great shame as both La Font and Daus were great when she was running the show. Don't know what happened to her after the Alcudia venture....

Last edited by Alcanada; 27-11-2009 at 23:30.
Old 28-11-2009, 11:49

Noo - this is all too much Brain has gone into melt down! Off to write chapter 1 now

GG

Skinny dipping comes into it somewhere!!

Last edited by Gommar Goffer; 28-11-2009 at 11:51. Reason: Add a little spice!
Old 28-11-2009, 15:49

Our first visit was staying at the Ora Playa and we stayed there the following year before hiring a villa for a couple of years and then taking the plunge to buy our own apartment, having spent two weeks in Corfu wondering what we were doing there and now I am lucky enough to live here permanently.
Old 28-11-2009, 17:10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcanada View Post
So true. I had many a good night in there.

The last person to run a restaurant at Daus was a French lady called Christine who, previously, had run La Font dell Gall. I think she ran into some problems at Daus with the landlord and had to go. She tried to set up another restaurant in the Mal Pas area of Alcudia but it didn't work out. It was a great shame as both La Font and Daus were great when she was running the show. Don't know what happened to her after the Alcudia venture....
Really interesting, I know she also ran Can Costa, and I think it was Christine who got Font de Gall and Can Costa their excellent reputations
Old 28-11-2009, 18:35

Ray - didn't know about Christine's involvement in C'an Costa. The first time I became aware of her was at La Font, which was superb. She really did know how to run a restaurant. As I understand it the landlord of the Daus property was very difficult to deal with and would not renew Christine's lease on the place.

Her last restaurant was called "Christine in Alcudia" and it was on the road to Ermita de la Victoria, not far from Malpas. I guess it was a poor location and didn't really work. Someone told me her son was still around and doing something (restaurant or bar?) in Cala San Vicente.
Old 28-11-2009, 19:44

The Daus - oh my goodness, that brings back many happy memories! That was a wonderful restaurant and she was a fabulous host. I think Christine used to run the Daus with the guy (my mind has gone blank as to his name) who now runs the Siller Restaurant. He was certainly involved with it in some capacity.
Old 28-11-2009, 20:55

Kate you are right Manolo from Restaurant Siller did used to run Daus.

Mind you must be over 20 years ago now
Old 28-11-2009, 21:55

Love for the island began 20 years ago for us when we rented a couple of apartments in Alcudia in the Siestas from a friend whilst my husband put in the airconditioning in what was then a very original Ca Vostra. It was constantly flooded out before the top was extended out with its large windows. Food was totally Mallorcan and run by Miguel and Tony. Tony retired and Miguel sold the restaurant which became La Mediterania (or something close) before it got sold again and is now Tango Ca Vostra.
Miguel now has property all over the island and runs a successful expanded estate agents in Alcudia and Sa Pobla.
We subsequently bought the apartments in Alcudia for a few years then managed to sell them and buy our apartment in PP.
I always remember saying I didnt think it would be a good idea to buy as we would probably get fed up with going to the same place for a holiday every year!
20 years later and almost 3 times every year .................!!
Old 28-11-2009, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Kate you are right Manolo from Restaurant Siller did used to run Daus.

Mind you must be over 20 years ago now
Indeed it was in the 1980s - the great days of the Spanish Peseta when you walked out of a restaurant scarcely able to believe how little you had paid !

Going back to Daus - I think, although wouldn't bet the bank on it, that Manolo ran Daus before Christine moved in.