Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 20:28

Default lobbying pollenca council

Good to see front line businesses in pp have joined up to lobby local council for improvements in the front line trading area. We had all the pedestrian only nonsense earlier in the year and the digging up along the front during holiday season etc etc.Perhaps the group should include all interested businesses to help their campaign. Even locals say that the council money is used far more in the old town than PP and that the mayor is not interested in promoting tourism. Our council are apparently bankrupt yet Alcudia just down the road continues are well in surplus and continue to spend upgrading facilities, public amenities etc in both PA and their old town,All town councils in mallorca have been funded for new public services jobs(I think Pollenca got 18) Guess what alcudia are directing a numbe rof theirs to improving parks and public amenities and Pollenca are improving their admin posts. How much is the refurb of the Pollenca council office in the old town costing and how many council buildings do they need( there are at least6!) Ex pats are entitled to vote in local elections and need to make sure their views are heard. How's that for a new post
Sponsored Links
Old 22-11-2009, 11:17
Super Moderator

Yes Ray it's about time the business people started to question the councils policy. It's great that the Gotmar area improvements have begun but what happened to the plans to improve the square?. For far too long the old town has taken up all the funds and as you say the offices being refurbed is a joke in itself. The other day i was told by a resident that the builders have a chute outside the building but there is no skip at the bottom of it, so all the rubble is just going directly on to the road and pavement .
Old 22-11-2009, 12:55

I think that it is very important for all users of PP, be it residents, property owners or visitors to tell the local authorities what they think and what they want. Is there a council customer service e-mail address?

GG
Old 23-11-2009, 23:23

GG... as a property owner, but not a resident, I agree... but even if there is a contact point, without being able to speaka de lingo well enuf, not sure how seriously it would be taken.
And its a sorta 2 fold thing in my head... the Square is really annoying me as it is so pretty and with a very little TLC, it could be lovely again ( from an overall local angle, not from a tourist view point... tho obviously, a make over would certainly improve the charm) ...and secondly, where my property is, the condition of the road/lighting is terrible. Not being a resident, has always made me feel that really I have no right to complain... but other side of that is we do pay the taxes.

Miram
Old 24-11-2009, 10:13

Miriam, the Gotmar residents association which we are eligible to join are doing a good job lobbying the council. I notice the chairman G. Bonsall posted on the upgrade of the area. Unfortunately being up the hill we are at the end of the 4year plan!!! The square was due to be upgraded this year so we need to wait and see if it happens.
Old 24-11-2009, 18:34

the council have a web site, and yes, I think its all Catalan. That being said anyone whos a resident can arrange to meet the mayor and they do have people in the council offices who spaeak English. Interestingly enoug the EU gave out a loadof money to various countries to help get EU citizens settled in other EU countries provide advice etc. Pollenca has an office by the Claustre and guess what they've given the job to a woman who speaks neither English nor German and even seems to sruggle with Castillian Spanish. Well done the Gommar residents, shows what can be achieved
Old 24-11-2009, 19:04

Miriam - like you I own but do not reside! However that does not mean that we do not have the same clout as those who do reside - we all pay our taxes the same - so do not be afraid and make your voice heard!

GG
Old 24-11-2009, 21:40

Lets face it - its so easy to avoid paying the full and proper amount of tax in Spain and then we moan when things aren't up to scratch.
Old 25-11-2009, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labore View Post
Lets face it - its so easy to avoid paying the full and proper amount of tax in Spain and then we moan when things aren't up to scratch.
since i don't avoid and do pay the proper amount of tax... Im missing the point here ????

Miriam
Old 25-11-2009, 10:10

Labore, you must be an accountant!!
Old 25-11-2009, 10:23

lol@gpm

Miriam
Old 25-11-2009, 14:51

Quote:
We pay the full and proper amount of tax and always have done so and will continue to do so! Therefore I feel we should have a voice.
Old 25-11-2009, 16:36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oops!! Labore seems like you have made a faux pas. We are paying our dues. Are you?.
Old 25-11-2009, 17:01

Maybe not so much of a faux pas. I can think of several people we have met who own apartments / villas in PP and who rent out but do not pay as much tax as they should, either by not declaring the full earnings or not declaring any earnings at all. Maybe what Labore was eluding to was, like in the UK, if one is not totally honest, and you take a chance, you can often get away with things and still expect more. After all, how many Spanish politicians are under investigation, not to mention UK Members of Parliament !

Last edited by Tonsyl; 25-11-2009 at 17:06.
Old 25-11-2009, 19:16

After thinking about it. There cant be many of us who have bought property in PP, who were not asked to jiggle the price about to save tax for yourself and the seller.So, Let he who can cast the first stone. (I of course refused to jiggle)
Gpm