Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 23:00

Default pp is getting quite dirty

Have not long come back from pp and although I appreciate it is getting to the end of the season I cant believe how dirty the Pine walk was....lots of dog mess and dirty pavement in general especially around sis pins....a good going over with a power washer would'nt go amiss....and the square....the grafitti on the church....shame
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2009, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceroundthemarina View Post
Have not long come back from pp and although I appreciate it is getting to the end of the season I cant believe how dirty the Pine walk was....lots of dog mess and dirty pavement in general especially around sis pins....a good going over with a power washer would'nt go amiss....and the square....the grafitti on the church....shame
An article this week in the MDB told that they had arrested somebody in connection with the graffiti in the square and on the old school, which is just off the square. Lets hope that that will be the end of it.
Old 21-10-2009, 00:27

Already posted on this earlier this year... and sadly, dont think that catching someone for a bit of the graffiti will do it.

The Church is run down... thier previously lovely gardens are a dry and barren mess. Thier lovely building is daubed with 2 years old graffiti that I am aware of...and they seem to have made no attempt to clean it up.

The Square is very run down... I presume that is the councils responsibility.... they should be maintaining the Square... they are not. There are roundabouts on this Island better kept !

A bit of apathy rules, ok ! compounded with credit crunch and exchange rate.

Lets hope it improves.................soon
Miriam
Old 21-10-2009, 17:09

Default PP is getting dirty.

I agree, this last few weeks when we visited the Port for meals, bars etc. with some friends it was noticeable just how much worse the problem is, against the Old Town which was much cleaner. We actually stayed in the Old Town and saw quite a few council workers cleaning both during the day and at night, which I remember seeing years ago in the Port but this year we only saw one guy in the Port with a blower sending rubbish flying rather than collecting it.
Old 21-10-2009, 19:19
Super Moderator

Actually Tonsyl the guy blows the litter into the road and the sweeper van follows behind picking it up, but at the end of the day people should show some respect and put their rubbish in the bins provided.There are plenty of them, even in the back streets, and they are emptied daily, which is more than could be said about my hometown where bins were few and far between and maybe emptied twice a week if we were lucky.
Old 21-10-2009, 19:32

I agree with you Sparky. Whilst on the subject too perhaps we should remember how many large rubbish bin areas there are around the Port. These are emptied 6 nights out of 7 I believe. We only have to look at the news here in the UK to hear of many areas complaining that weekly collection has now become every 2 weeks! Also most things are taken by the bin collectors in PP unlike in my home area whereby if you dare to put one small item into the wrong coloured bag then it is left behind.
There is always room for improvement and yes sometimes there is rubbish left around but as Sparky says it is a lack of respect by the people who do such things. As for dog mess - it has only been over the past few years that this situation has improved in the UK. and that has been by educating people to accept that it is anti-social not to clear up after their dogs. I am sure within time this attitude will be accepted not only in Pollensa but in many other Countries as well. Well we can but hope!
Old 31-10-2009, 23:38

Thing that I really love is how easy they make it to recycle compared to the UK.
I can do it so easily here but in the UK, I tried but it works out that I have to do 'special' visits... like a recycling run... and have to admit , for me, in the UK it fails miserably
Miriam
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03

Having just got back from a week's stay I did make a special effort to judge whether the Port was in a poorer state than previous years... have to say it seemed absolutely fine to me, although obviously there weren't the tourists around to create the litter. Some of the side streets are obviously used as comfort stops for dogs, but nothing new there, and I did see several people picking up after their pets - haven't noticed that before. I also saw several street cleaners doing a pretty thorough job and the beaches were spotless (and virtually empty of people, which may explain their spotlessness!) I also didn't notice any graffiti, or not more than usual. I've never thought the Square was the jewel in the crown of PP but it didn't look different from previous years, apart from the lack of holidaymakers. The problem is that there are so many businesses/properties up for sale and empty, which always gives towns a neglected feel. Have to say as soon as I got back to the UK I was aware of how squalid the streets of my home town are compared to PP - broken glass and litter everywhere.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35
Super Moderator

I noticed on Sunday that most of the graffiti on the church has been painted over.
And as Kate says it's people who create dirt and litter.