Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 00:54

Question

Pollensafan,
You certainly started one hell of a Post here! 7 pages of responses, and counting. That's what this site is all about.
But I did ask a simple question early on in reply to your original posting - Where are the replies from the owners of these restaurants and shops who are "ripping us off"? I personally don't think they are ripping us off, they are just trying to make a living. But I would just like to see them justify their price increases. Do they charge these inflated prices because their rates, taxes and costs of food, drink etc have gone up so much or what?
I know that the business owners read these posts, so where are they?
Are we being ripped off or is there a real and justified reason for the prices that they charge? Just let us know. Speak to us. And we might be more sympathetic.
Like I've said before, I don't mind paying that bit extra in such a special place as PP, the higher prices keep out the riff raff and the yobs. But I'd hate to think that I was being mugged just because I love the place. Surely their attitude can't be - "Oh, It's the Brits, we can charge what we like." I just don't believe that.
I know, by talking to the owners and staff in such wonderful places as Bar Coral and Zarzoles, (my two favourites in PP), that they depend on regulars returning year after year and that is what keeps them going, so they are not going to risk ruining their businesses by ripping us off. But where are their responses?
Tony
Sponsored Links
Old 27-09-2009, 07:18

I would like to confirm we have booked for next year and will go to our usual places to eat! The present economical situation does not encourage hols to Europe but we love it!!
We will enjoy the lack of cheap alcohol etc.
Keep the standards up and we will keep comming,
Edward
Old 27-09-2009, 13:23

With a little forward planning and common sense, I still think PP represents great value for money. I'm heading out next week for a 4 night break. Return flight from Belfast to Palma £59pp. 4 nights B&B £71pp. Resort transfers £20pp. That's a total of £150 which I think is great value and is cheaper than anything similar in the UK.

I won't be ripped off when I'm there, because I can't afford to be. I'll use past experience plus all the great advice on here and only eat or drink in the places I know will serve good food at reasonable prices. I still believe there are plenty of them in PP and look foward to giving them my support.

Last edited by LK1960; 27-09-2009 at 13:49.
Old 27-09-2009, 13:39

I do feel that the response is lacking from those ripping off for that very reason - they know they are ripping us off! - What is there to say?? There have been many examples here that qualify the statement and not just with restaurants. The Brits do keep coming and the Brits do keep spending and then the Brits have something to say on sites like this. Sorry but I feel if we want response from those 'rippers' then the matter should be brought to their attention directly. It would be so nice to read on here from someone giving us the info of being ripped off and then telling us what they did about it, other than pay and leave unhappy. Perhaps then things will improve. If the Brits allow themselves to be ripped off then it will continue to happen. I'm sure I will take a battering for these comments but sorry I have just had a wonderful 3 course lunch in a restaurant here in Southend, overlooking the sea in wonderful sunshine for just £10!! ( perhaps thats why I have the courage to write the above - the wine (£7.50) was lovely!
Eleanor
Old 27-09-2009, 17:17

LK 1960.....£71 for 4 nights B & B sounds very good......do you want to share with us where you are staying for less than £20 a night
Old 27-09-2009, 22:49

Hi ragdollabbi. Hostal Bahia. (Gone up £2 from last year!)
Old 28-09-2009, 10:14

I agree 100% with LK1960 PP can give exellent value providing you are not tied to school holidays.Over the last 10 years have been going three times a year Feb/March in an apartment and May and October in a villa. I shall be there again next week, Flight £147.90 Villa £165.03 Car 116 Euros (£109) total £421.93 +petrol .For that I have flight 3 bedroom villa with pool,plus transport. This must represent excellent value for money at£211 each for the wife and myself. This is about average for the last 5 years
BJ
Old 28-09-2009, 13:45

Hi Pollpott, thanks for your comments, although i'm not sure i agree with you when you say" Thats what this site is all about". You only have to look at one reply to jackie's post to see that some folk want no negative remarks whatsoever. To those who seem to think there are no problems may i suggest you take a look at another post running at the moment on the dog muck everywhere. Strange when i posted the same thing about dog muck 1 year ago the general opinon then was it was not a problem and it was no worse than it had been for years. Still you know what they say "there's nowt so queer as folk". However i digress. To those who insist we are not being ripped off i keep bringing you back to the subject of wine ( yes i know yawn, yawn) but this is the most glaring example of outrageous price hiking i have ever seen. mallorca is a very small island is someone going to say the restaurants are sourcing their wine from hundreds of outlets charging astronomical prices because that my friends is an insult to our inteligence. To those who say "We dont want it turned into another magaluf" I say dont be ridiculous. It wasn't a "Magaluf" when the prices were cheaper before so why should it be in future. As i've said in earlier replys the same bottle of wine varying by 15eurs a bottle in different places in my book has no justificaition. My one theory is that wine merchants have got their claws into some of the owners and told them that they can get far more for the wine than they have been charging. I draw this conclusion because of one particular establishment that i have used for years. His wine prices were always typed into the back of his menu and were always excellent buys. This year he had a flash looking wine menu seperate from the food one and at the bottom in small print was a well know wine producers name and the prices having gone through the roof. Just my opinon you understand and i'm willing to be corrected.
Old 28-09-2009, 18:12

Amazing,

Just walked past Bonys ( 6.45 p.m.) , it's packed to the gunnels with Brits and it ain't stopped storming here since lunchtime. Pretty cheerless scene, the Square, absolutely soaked , people decked in kagools, huddled under umbrellas, trying to make the most of it.

What do you reckon, his "happy hour" with cheaper drinks working or perhaps the weather has driven everyone to drink ???

BonysLad
Old 28-09-2009, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLad View Post
Amazing,

Just walked past Bonys ( 6.45 p.m.) , it's packed to the gunnels with Brits and it ain't stopped storming here since lunchtime. Pretty cheerless scene, the Square, absolutely soaked , people decked in kagools, huddled under umbrellas, trying to make the most of it.

What do you reckon, his "happy hour" with cheaper drinks working or perhaps the weather has driven everyone to drink ???

BonysLad
Well bonyslad If it's the cheaper drinks that are responsible we had better take cover because according to some posters on here it will be magaluf before you know it.
Old 28-09-2009, 20:24

Have not logged in for a while and have read this thread with interest.

As PP attracts a huge amount of British visitors then my feeling is that it is the restaurants that adapt to the fall in the euro that will survive.

This may well be easier for some than others and may depend on whether restauranters own the property. If the restaurant is owned by a family and there is no mortgage then responding to present market conditions should be so much easier. As pointed out by Bonyslad the situation regarding the euro is unlikely to change over the next few years.

Other thoughts are that the resort, as a whole, may look to other markets - Eastern Europe?
Old 28-09-2009, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by B J View Post
I agree 100% with LK1960 PP can give exellent value providing you are not tied to school holidays.Over the last 10 years have been going three times a year Feb/March in an apartment and May and October in a villa. I shall be there again next week, Flight £147.90 Villa £165.03 Car 116 Euros (£109) total £421.93 +petrol .For that I have flight 3 bedroom villa with pool,plus transport. This must represent excellent value for money at£211 each for the wife and myself. This is about average for the last 5 years
BJ
OK BJ Spill. What company will rent a 3 bed villa with pool for £165. Return flights for £75? (including taxes?). Tell us your secret!!!

Adios

Dave
Old 28-09-2009, 21:14

I was wondering the same thing ..... in fact a change of bedding; towels and the preparation and cleaning of a 3bed apartment will cost about £120 so how can they rent it for £165 ?
Old 28-09-2009, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
To those who insist we are not being ripped off i keep bringing you back to the subject of wine ( yes i know yawn, yawn) but this is the most glaring example of outrageous price hiking i have ever seen. My one theory is that wine merchants have got their claws into some of the owners and told them that they can get far more for the wine than they have been charging.
Pollensafan,

Next time you're here take a trip down to Al Campo. Here, you will bump into loads of PP restauranteurs buying their wine retail to resell. Equally, ever seen Jose's lad struggling out of the Tex Mex Tabac/Liquor store with a supermarket trolley laden with the old electric juice , straight over the square to resell ? It's the market working and long may it continue.

"caveat emptor" , my friend " caveat emptor" !!!!!

BonysLad
Old 28-09-2009, 21:44
Super Moderator

Bonyslad,
You make a good point there, i have even seen owners in Eroski and Hypercentro with trolley loads of booze.