Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Weather in PP now - 2009 (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/5216-weather-pp-now-2009-a.html)

Gommar Goffer 16-09-2009 12:18

Weather in PP now - 2009

My wife and 6 girl friends are descending on PP tomorrow (God help the place:D) and I wondered what the weather was due to be like over the weekend - can our local Michael Fishes please give a report:) (don't lean out of the window too far though!)

GG

Sparky 16-09-2009 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer (Post 35224)
My wife and 6 girl friends are descending on PP tomorrow (God help the place:D) and I wondered what the weather was due to be like over the weekend - can our local Michael Fishes please give a report:) (don't lean out of the window too far though!)

GG

Have a look at AccuWeather.com Pollensa, they give a 15 day outlook and are fairly accurate. It's looking a bit mixed.:(

Gommar Goffer 16-09-2009 12:45

Thanks Sparky - I looked at accuweather but there is nothing like local knowledge/feel:)

GG

BonysLad 16-09-2009 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer (Post 35224)

GG

Michael Fish ????

" Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she had heard a hurricane was on it's way . Well, if you're watching , don't worry there isn't !!!"

Seriously though Gommar, unsettled all the time but best day will be Saturday but very shortlived.

BonysLad:D:D

bevgt 18-09-2009 15:39

weather

Maybe a silly question but what do you think would be a better idea a few days in puerto pollensa in november or January I mean wth regards to weather ,bars open,and hotels.

sws97sdg 18-09-2009 15:45

As you say bevgt maybe a silly question, depends when in January, if its around the 6th great choice, and I believe there are other things going on in Jan as well, perhaps one of the local reps could comment, my opinion, quietening down in Nov, starting to liven up in Jan, any other views?

Sparky 18-09-2009 16:02

Can't say about November but San Antoni which is around 15th/ 16th January is fantastic, the atmosphere in the port is unbelievable. The nights are cold but when the fires are blazing, you are cooking on the many bbq's and the booze is flowing who cares. January gets my vote :D.

Belladonna 18-09-2009 23:29

Yep, January gets our vote over November anytime!

bevgt 19-09-2009 16:21

Thanks for your thoughts is the san Antoni the same dates fir 2010

Sparky 19-09-2009 16:24

I am a new resident but as far as i am aware yes the dates are always the same.:D

eleanor 19-09-2009 22:38

Can anyone in PP please tell me what the weather is like at the moment please. I have looked at the forecast which still says rain and storms. We have a young child staying at our villa and I just wonder if I need to arrange to have the heating switched on for the evenings if it is chilly? I haven't heard or been able to contact them so assume all is ok.
Thanks for your help.
Eleanor

Sparky 20-09-2009 00:13

Hi Eleanor, it is 1am here, it has just started to rain (heavily) and the wind has picked up.:mad: but it isn't cold it's 21c.;)

Smiddy 20-09-2009 00:34

oh dear sparky poor you
we actually came home on tuesday to quite a nice week
but has turned quite autumnal today
got our heating on too

Sparky 20-09-2009 07:41

Smiddy no need to feel sorry for me, it's nice to have a bit of rain. However i feel really sorry for the tourists especially if they have little ones.:(

joelise80 20-09-2009 07:46

Good Morning Sparky! Flying over at stupid o' clock in the morning so will be in PP for late breakfast and I am now going to repack my suitcase after looking at the weather and reading your report :( The sun will shine on Friday as we head back home...

Sparky 20-09-2009 07:56

Morning Joelise, yes i am sorry but it's not looking good. Just been on AccuWeather it says rain and wind until Wednesday but Thursday and Friday will be sunny.:(

LK1960 20-09-2009 11:00

Hope it picks up for you Joelise, and you manage to get a few sunny days. Of all the weather forecasting sites recommended on here I have found Accuweather to be the most reliable and the 15 day forecast now runs up to to my arrival date so I will checking daily.

Hope you have lovely break, whatever the weather.

eleanor 20-09-2009 11:18

Sparky, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry the weather isn't so good but pleased that at least it isn't cold. I believe this is the first rain since April? Sounds as if it has been stored up. I hope that all those on holiday have a wonderful time in a wonderful place regardless of the weather.
Oh just as an aside - I don't know if this is true but someone once said to me that the weather in the Palma area is VERY different to Pollensa. I realise that there would be some difference but the island isn't that large that it should differ greatly? If that was the case then the new motorway would be heaving with tourists heading for Santa Ponsa!
Thanks again for the update and I hope you all see sun again soon.
Eleanor

kate1 20-09-2009 17:34

Unfortunately we too have noticed that the weather often seems to get decidedly worse as you head to the North of the island - something to do with the mountains perhaps? The cloud seems to sit over them without budging. On several occasions we have left a cold and wet PP to drive to Palma only to find brilliant sunshine... I think the weather forecasts show the weather in Palma so they aren't always reliable.

Sparky 20-09-2009 17:44

Hi, but there have been many times when i have been here and it is a beautiful day, people have gone to the south of the island and come back reporting heavy rain and thunderstorms.
Being a Plymothian this is not unusual to me, the same thing used to happen in Devon and Cornwall, the south coast could be glorious and the north coast wet and vice versa.:D

joelise80 20-09-2009 19:18

Well the case is repacked - but as we are sharing just the one due to pesky no frill airline charges - my wellies wouldn't fit;) I have got 2 kagoules in there though, and on the top for getting the hire car in the morning :) Just watched the weather for here in Yorkshire and it is sunny all week... We were over for a quick 4 day break in early May and we had half a day of sun and the rest was cloudy and drizzley. The only thing for it is to lunch out, dinner out and copious amounts of alcohol inbetween, with some shopping for variety:rolleyes:When we holidayed with the boys when they were younger we would often leave CSV in the rain and head down to Marineland past Palma and it would be clear skies, but it has also happened the other way as well. PP and CSV are just so relaxing whatever the weather.

sws97sdg 20-09-2009 19:43

Have a great time what ever the weather joelise :)

eleanor 20-09-2009 19:43

Hi Joelise, I'm sorry the weather seems to be letting you down yet again but nice to see you have a positive attitude. The island is such a lovely place to be and as you said there are lots of things you can do whatever the weather,
Have a wonderful time and I hope the sun shines for you during your holiday.
Eleanor

whaleywanderer 20-09-2009 20:51

Re. the weather - The forecast was dreadful for the week just past and yes, it did rain but not constantly as in the UK and mostly at night, we have been here a week and have already developed a nice tan. Don't be put off there is still more sun than rain.

Sparky 20-09-2009 22:52

:DWhaley you are so right, the rain has been mostly during the night.

med777 21-09-2009 00:35

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Whaley !
Not in ALL of the UK ! I have just spent most of the last week, Bikini clad topping up my PP tan....and it has bin roastin !...yes... here in the West of Scotland :D

(tho I think it is winding itself up tonight to make up for it ! lol)

Hope ur weather improves and have a nice holiday

Miriam

Smiddy 21-09-2009 11:30

The Weather

When we left PP last Tues the rain was horizontal and making it's way into the apt.:eek: Still as you say most of the other days it rained mainly overnight, which mean't that although the sun may have been missing, during the day it was still nice and warm. Plenty to do, lovely walks, daytime dining, chilling etc.:)

Sparky 21-09-2009 11:46

It is mostly cloudy today but the sun is making brief appearances 25c and quite windy.;)

joelise80 22-09-2009 19:55

We have had thunder, strong winds anf 132mm of rain today! It is wet n warm though!

eleanor 22-09-2009 20:10

OMG that is over 5 inches of rain!! - In one day! - Poor holidaymakers, what a shame.

whaleywanderer 24-09-2009 22:15

Just a quick update, it's been sunny and warm all day:D, the rain was a welcome relief for the plants and gardens. Still wonderful in PP.

Sparky 25-09-2009 11:33

As the Port webcam is still down i thought i would let you all know, it is a beautiful day here and my thermometer is reading 29c.
Unfortunately the forecast for Sunday/ Monday is for rain and thunderstorms.
If it is OK with Pollensa, i will give you a daily update until the webcam is back on.

pollensa 25-09-2009 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 35641)
If it is OK with Pollensa, i will give you a daily update until the webcam is back on.

Of course it is Sparky. Such a shame all I got during my visit was thunderstorms & it's sunny as soon as we left....:(

Sparky 25-09-2009 15:26

Thank you Pollensa.

Francesca 25-09-2009 18:28

As We have not managed to get to Puert Pollensa this year and are now getting withdrawl symptoms can anyone who lives there say what the weather is generally like in October? As this is the only time we could now come. Thanks

Sparky 25-09-2009 19:30

Hi Francesca, for 26 years before moving here i took my holidays in October and May. Both months can be changeable, in October, 2 years ago we had 4 good days out of 14 but last year it was very hot and sunny every day.

eleanor 25-09-2009 20:04

Look forward very much to your updates, Sparky. Thank you.
Eleanor

LK1960 25-09-2009 23:00

Yes, me too. Thanks Sparky.

Sparky 26-09-2009 09:29

Good Morning PP fans, there is a lot more cloud about today but it is dry and sunny at the moment. It is quite breezy and 26c at 10:30am.
The temperature on my balcony peaked at 40c yesterday at 5pm.

pescador2009 26-09-2009 23:03

Great to see 'actual temperatures for PP' rather than just those forecast.
Presumably the thermometer on your balcony is in direct sunlight to hit 40 at this time of year? On the other hand this is accurate for dedicated sun-worshippers (not me) as they don't often sunbathe in the shade.
Safety Note - "use plenty of sun tan lotion"