Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-2008, 15:18

Default Insecure Property

We are just back from a holiday with a certain company who I will not mention. Security on the property was inadequate and subsequently we were robbed to the value of £2000 in euros when we went out one night for dinner - on our second night at the villa. It was between pollensa and puerto pollensa on a hillside - the gates were like ladders and could not be locked. The property is prestige and worth well on the way to one million euros. They entered the property by the shutters on the 1st floor bedroom using force and kicked the door open. They hacked the safe but only stole cash. The villa was insecure and should not have been rented out. We spent a day at the police station and going to the western union to collect new traveler's cheques.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-08-2008, 16:28

Angry

I am so sorry to hear that. Have nothing constructive to say that will help - but just knowing it can happen to any one of us at any time makes me feel extra sorry. Have been through it ourselves to a lesser degree - video camera and cash one stormy night. Hope it didnt totally ruin your holiday.
Old 21-08-2008, 17:33

This happened to us last year. We only had cash stolen from the locked safe. We didn't let it spoil our holiday to be honest i think if these individuals want to break in to properties they will no matter what security measures are taken. The only lesson we have learnt is not to take anything of sentimental value and get cash from the hole in the wall as and when needed. Hope it didn't spoil your holiday. Seems this sort of thing is happening more and more. Very sad.
Old 21-08-2008, 17:38

Burglars will target places they reckon they're going to find stuff - like the better quality houses. We've been "done" twice at home. We've got good locks, strong doors and an alarm. Last time, they just ripped out the whole kitchen window.
Old 21-08-2008, 18:46

Please "name and shame" Pollensa Dude. We had a similar experience last year with a property rented from Villa Parade, but to be fair the security is the villa owner's responsibility, and as it is their home during the winter months there's not a lot that can be done.

As other have said, commited thieves will get in, no matter what.

I reckoned that "lightning doesn't strike....etc" and went back to the same villa this year with no problems.

So sorry you had such a bad experience.
Old 27-08-2009, 20:23

Just a warning to take special care. I have relatives who have a villa in Llenaire which they rent out. The renters returned home this evening, having been out and about all day, to find the property had been broken into via the utility room at the back of the property. It seems the shutter had not been secured properly. They have had money, passports and other items taken plus they believe items from the actual villa including a cd player.
What is interesting is that they had noticed a blue van with 3 young men driving around the area yesterday on more than one occasion. They also noticed that the wall to the side of the villa had been marked with white paint or chalk.
This sort of thing can happen anywhere we know but it is distressing for all concerned.
As I said - just a warning to be on guard.

Sorry - I think this is in the wrong forum and i'm unsure how to move it!

Last edited by eleanor; 27-08-2009 at 20:35. Reason: Attempted to move to correct forum but can't!
Old 27-08-2009, 23:16

This is an interesting but disturbing bebate - most property owners will I think say what security measures they have in place with regards to safes and the like. If they have none they obviously will not think to mention the fact. The disturbing thing for me is the mention of money/property being removed from locked safes. this smacks of an inside job - somebody with access to keys. I think it would be unlikely to be agents but probably their employees which is very hard to police. I have had occurences wit my apartment where it was obvious that people had been staying without my knowledge - presumably because keys had been copied allowing access.

These types of crime will always happen which is is why we must all make sure that we have adequate insurance and use our common sence regarding security.

I appreciate that this will not deter the determind or even opportunist criminal.

Thankefully it is still a rare occurence in PP

GG
Old 28-08-2009, 10:21

Default Break-ins

As one of the previous posters suggested the best way is not to take anything of value, jewellery etc. I,ve had a apartment for going on 17 years and never had any problems. I always make sure that if a break-in happened, there is very little of interest to a thief. It's my holiday home, why stuff it with expensive equiment?

Some years ago we were all packed ready to go home, thought we'd go for a bite to eat before leaving, unfortunately i managed to slam the door behind us and had forgotten the keys. Cases passport all inside! Panic!

Apartment was closed, big shutters at the back etc, strong heavy wooden door.

My neighbour helped us out, gained access............with a small paint scrapper
Old 28-08-2009, 12:21

GG I don't think it is an inside job,it is happening the world over. We had an attempted break in last year while we slept in a villa on the main land. I also know of someone who had the safe removed from their hotel room!!!!!. We all just need to be extra vigilent and make sure thing are closed as securely as possible as a deterrent. I am sorry that it happened to you Pollensa Dude.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:53

Default Burglaries

Sure it's been mentioned before, but it's worth saying again: be extra vigilant immediately after turning up at your villa or apartment. Thieves watch for people arriving and make their move in the first few hours.

We had an opportunist break in at our place early this year. The thief was in and out in seconds - along with laptop, handbag, cash and passports!! Nightmare.

Of course, we should have known better.
Old 28-08-2009, 13:29

It seems that the people staying at this villa did not use the safe but left their belongings just hanging around! No idea why.

Apparently it was mostly the renters things which were stolen along with a CD player and CD's which seems a little strange but maybe they were disturbed.

To me the worry is that the villa may have been marked. What was thought last night to be either chalk or paint on the wall was infact chalk.

Like anywhere you have to be on your guard. These people get to know which properties are rented, i'm sure - especially in a place like Llenaire where there are open spaces and roads and lots of rented property. It is easy to let your guard down whilst on holiday. We always stress to people to check with us or check ID if anyone comes to our villa as it shouldn't happen. We try always to give notice. Even in a mostly residential area in Gommar where we are, it is always essential to be on guard. Its the world we live in and certainly is happening in many places.
Old 28-08-2009, 23:19

lollipop - sadly it is all too often an inside job. We know for a fact that a maid spent at least 3 months living in our apartment over the winter months

GG
Old 29-08-2009, 12:10

That is awful! How did you find out? - did you turn up? Bit of a shock to arrive to find someone in your bed!!
Old 30-08-2009, 12:06

No- when we arrived in Feb of that year it was obvious that the apartment had been occupied as it was not as we had left it and there were various things to indicate someone had been living there like unfamiliar food etc in the cupboards, magazines that were not ours, furniture moved,etc. Talking with the neighbours it became apparent what had been going on. They presumed we knew!

GG
Old 31-08-2009, 17:02

Default Burglaries

GG, Sorry to hear that, we have a few neighbours who live all year round and know of anyone in our apt, these people are always known to them as we only let known friends use our apt, and they tend to go every year. Your apt was obviously been lived in, the evidence is quite clear. A good double check is to take a note of the meter readings when you leave, no matter how someone wishes to cover their tracks, it would be obvious someone was staying.