Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 21:41

Red face What to pack

Hi All,
Just a quickie, bit of a daft question really...

We are leaving for PP this Saturday. Getting the cases down from the loft ready to pack tomorrow. Do you bother taking anything else with you apart from the essentials? Is it worth taking food? All we stick in the case, apart from clothes, sun cream, toiletries, and my addictive Nicorette chewing gums, is a couple of jars of coffee and then buy everything else in the supermarkets when we get there. Any helpful suggestions?
Four days to go!
Regards,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 22:51

We don't take anything except for clothes

There is nothing you will need that you can't get there so no point taking anything .............. that's my philosophy
Old 07-07-2009, 23:04

Deodorant, shampoo and suncream, all cost a lot more there or they don't have the brands I like.

My Mrs takes her Chinese Green Tea, you cant buy it there, even in the myriad of budget Chinese owned stores and she swears on her GHD hair straightener, as a No.3 buzz cut type of guy, that is mystifying to me.

A couple of CD's for the hire car, I burn one of mixed hits that suit me, Mrs 1875 and my laddies, along witha copy of Bob Marley's 'Legend' which has 'done' Mallorca with me since 1985. All a bit like the old days of making up a compilation tape. Funky and fun when scuttling about an island which has awful FM signals.

Travel plugs (2 for a pound in the £1 shop), a lightweight four gang uk extension, and our long serving elasticated washing line also stay in our case year to year.
Old 07-07-2009, 23:31
Super Moderator

I have just put my flak jacket on, so this is my take on what to pack. You will be here for maybe 2 weeks, surely you can manage without the brand names for that long.
Most airlines are reducing your allowance so just bring the basic stuff, there are always equivalent local brands to buy at a fraction of the cost.
OK people fire away .
Old 07-07-2009, 23:40

I take mp3 player and lead to plug into hire car, my wife and daughter bring a DS each and a few books. These are mainly for the airport and the flights. Travel plugs and chargers are the only other things we bring apart from clothes. Anything else we need we get locally.
Old 07-07-2009, 23:48

Smile

Thanks Mark and CD. You've just confirmed my attitude to what to bring - as little as possible. But I agree with Mark, a compilation cd is a must, the radio recption is none existant. As for hair straighteners...I'm a Grade 1, ie bald! so I don't need those.
A printed-off list of recommended restaurants from PP Forum folk and a map of the island and I'm all set to go.
Old 07-07-2009, 23:55

Whatever you take you will have too much! The only thing that has to go with me is a jar of Gold Blend - this isn't the BBc is it? i think I can say that. Coffee is expensive if you like it a certain way. Just pack you worries and leave them there.
Old 08-07-2009, 00:47

Lightbulb

Need to confess I do bring something actually forgot about it because so much a part of me as it comes everywhere
iPod touch it holds all mY music I use it for notes so actually type in any tips from forum re eateries before I go and then make notes when there
I download some interesting podcasts to listen to and of course use it to access email and Internet from wifi spots and to play suduku and solitaire use the Spanish phrasebook I have loaded on it
All the above plus a trip lead to play music via hirecar radio all fits into small purse purchased on Market
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59

Default What to pack

I've always packed the same way, get everything i think i need, then half it! No point in carrying clothes and shoes (both ways) if your never going to use them. You also run the risk of your luggage being overweight, 7 euros a kilo for things your not going to use? bit of a no brainer. Although i do confess to taking some packets of bacon, Scottish shortbread and tea bags
Old 08-07-2009, 17:57

Tea bags for OH, milk shake mix for boys, and lots of shoes for me! Seriously though, you can get just about everything in PP now, it is quite civilised you know Oh and we sometimes take a DVD player and DVDs depending on accomodation and time of year we are there.
Old 08-07-2009, 21:00

coffee,teabags,bacon and cheese (cos you cant get a good strong cheddar and if u do find it then its expensive) - we buy most other things there as it is just as cheap - in fact some things can even be a little cheaper...Roll on Saturday...early flight out of Bristol hope to be in PP by lunch time
Old 08-07-2009, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
coffee,teabags,bacon and cheese (cos you cant get a good strong cheddar and if u do find it then its expensive) - we buy most other things there as it is just as cheap - in fact some things can even be a little cheaper...Roll on Saturday...early flight out of Bristol hope to be in PP by lunch time
remember the lotion and the ray bans!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 21:43

Smile

Ooooooooooooh you are all so good. we take full luggage allowance and full flight bag allowance. We take bacon, cheese, steak, loads of tins and at least half a kitchen. Cool bag, freezer packs for lots of picnics on the beach.
(Formentor in the evening - magic)
ipods, assorted plugs and connectors, sun tan lotions, everything for the bathroom.
too many books.
too many shoes.
too many clothes.
Is it just me!
Old 08-07-2009, 22:11

No susiejb! It's not just you! It's me too. We are flying from Belfast Friday morning and our luggage allowance is 4 x 22kgs and I'm having no problem using it up. Mmmmm...cool bag...good idea. Wonder if I could get that in too!
Old 08-07-2009, 22:18

the last time we took a coolbag the airport staff told us to ditch the blue plastic ice blocks urging us it was dry ice and not going on the flight so watchout for that