Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 15:59

Default Bomb??

Hope this is untrue but have just heard a bomb has gone off in Palma Nova - does anyone know anything about this????
Sponsored Links
Old 30-07-2009, 16:03

Just found this info:-

2 Spanish officers killed in blast on Mallorca
By HAROLD HECKLE (AP) – 2 hours ago
MADRID — An explosion near a police station on the Spanish island of Mallorca killed two officers Thursday — a day after a car-bomb attack blamed on Basque separatists left scores injured in northern Spain.
A Civil Guard spokesman in Madrid said it was still too early to say what caused Thursday's blast in the Palmanova beach resort area, southwest of the resort island's capital of Palma de Mallorca.
Two officers were killed, the spokesman said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with police department regulations. He gave no further details.
Europa Press private news agency and other media outlets said the blast was caused by a bomb and that there were also several people injured.
A car bomb attack on Wednesday left some 60 people injured at a police barracks in the northern city of Burgos. That attack has been blamed on the armed Basque separatist group ETA, along with seven other attacks this year.
ETA has killed more than 825 people since it launched a campaign in 1968 for an independent homeland in Basque region of northern Spain.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:04

Have just read that an ETA bomb has killed 2 people at the Guardia Civil in Palma Nova. Apparently they have closed all airports and ports.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:15
Super Moderator

I am very sad to report that this is true, 2 Guardia Civil officers have been killed in Palma Nova. Also all ports and airports are closed. In these times that is the last thing this island needs. But my first concern is for the families of the victims. A very sad day here.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:25

This is just awful. God bless those who have lost their lives and those who have been hurt. I pray for them and their families.
Old 30-07-2009, 16:57
Founder

Am afraid it is true & the airport & all ports have been closed since then in order to stop the ETA terrorists fleeing.
Old 30-07-2009, 17:10

Terrible. I don't know whether to be sad or angry
Old 30-07-2009, 17:13

My wife and kids are flying out tomorrow morning!
Old 30-07-2009, 17:37

I couldn't believe the news when I heard it. My thoughts are with the two victims and their familie at this very sad time. May they both rest in peace.
Old 30-07-2009, 17:50

Lala, I feel the same. I just want to cry and I feel so angry. I just can't stop thinking of the families who said goodbye this morning and now ......

Please God, let this stop.

Take care everyone. Lots of love, Eleanor
Old 30-07-2009, 19:17

Default Bomb

A sad sad day . Our thoughts go out to the families left behind. Slipalong & lola.
Old 30-07-2009, 20:50

Thumbs up

This is a quote from the BBC News website

""'Over-reaction'

Another traveller, Neil Williams, an architect from London, was due to catch the same flight for a work meeting.

"The reaction to close all the ports and airports seems somewhere between infantile and an over-reaction," he said. "I hope they will tell me what is going on when I get to check-in." ""

If anyone knows this prat, please clip him round the ear when next you see him.

It would seem to me that if you have a small island it is sensible to secure it for a time to stop the bombers fleeing. At least till there is a clear picture as to what has happened. Even though this may be inconvienient for some, for a short time.

The tourist industry, obviously, could well do without this outrage. But the London bombs didn't stop people using London Transport. I hope people will take the same view about continuing to visit Mallorca.

Last edited by clinkham; 30-07-2009 at 20:51. Reason: sorry, don't know where the 'thumbs up' smiley came from!
Old 30-07-2009, 21:20

son flew to PP this morning on the 06.45am flight from stansted. I know he's OK unlike the two innocent policemen. I think they were right to close the airport. If it meant they could apprehend those responsible more power to them.
Old 30-07-2009, 22:39

Default Airport Enquery

Hey Guys,

Well my family and I are due to fly on Monday morning and I myself am deeply concerned as to whether we are going to able to fly as planned.
We are travelling with BMI baby and I would be extremely grateful if any one could give any more information or shed any more light on the airport situation.
Replies would be taken with deep, serious gratitude.

We love Puerto Pollensa so much, my family and I have visited several times. It is such a paradise like environment and the thought of not being able to travel would be truely unbearable.

Thanks, Mazin (:
Old 30-07-2009, 22:48

A sad day indeed. Lets hope they catch the culprits, but i'm not holding my breath.