Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 10:01

Default Trip report

I know, i know,we're getting a bit off track on this thread, but was just reading a letter on the MDN (on this site) someone havind a right good go at PP about the cost of things and the locals "laughing" at the tourists as they rip them off. Also complaining about the cost of various trips (what's that got to do with PP) Talk about drama queens?? What world do these people live in? Nobody is happy about the cost of a holiday these days, but if anybody feels the're getting "ripped off" they've only themselves to blame for letting it happen. Shop around, if your unhappy about getting charged 4 euros for a pint of beer, then go to, say, the Hotel Paris, were you'll get one for 1.5/2 Euros. there's plenty of places giving good deals.

I suppose i could have taken my holidays at home this year (Scotland) but speaking to a friend who was charged £160 A NIGHT for a fancy B&B, i'm glad i chose "rip-off" PP.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-07-2009, 11:28

Hi Treoesman, What a shame that you were let down by your rental agents. Most owners take special care to ensure that their property is up to spec for their renters. I have ensured that my villa is a home from home. We rent directly though this site to enable us to speak with the renters and hopefully build a relationship with them. This is good for both sides. If there is a problem then we have excellent people on hand in PP who we pay to look after the villa and deal with any problems asap. I think this probably is the case for most owners who advertise on this site. We bought in PP as we love the place and as such love our properties too and take care of them.
I think you have been very unlucky this year. Glad you had a wonderful time though - it is hard not to, isn't it? Best of luck for next year. My advise would be to take a look at this site and get to know the owners through personal contact then make a decision about booking. Most owners would welcome this approach.
Old 28-07-2009, 13:32

Hi Sunny,

WE were having a look at them at the weekend. We're going to have a look on the 1st August and see if the return flights are on, if so we'll more than likely book them and they should be about £500, less than half from Edinburgh. The only downside is that next year, for the date we want, they're incredibly early in the morning. Having said that we'll be in PP for lunchtime and can have a siesta in the afternoon, although the kids will be wanting to go to the beach.

Last edited by Puerto Bello; 28-07-2009 at 13:35.
Old 28-07-2009, 16:00

Smiddy - all I can say is "good ridance"

GG
Old 29-07-2009, 00:34

Hi all
Just a snippet that might be relevant to this thread ....

A few friends of mine booked a cheap week deal to Mallorca, so cheap it was a designated resort and hotel on arrival basis, i.e they knew they were going to Mallorca but did not know anymore until arriving at Palma airport meeting a rep who gave them the info they were on coach number (x) going to resort (x) and staying BB in hotel (x).

They ended up in P Pollensa and had a good time with good accommodation. They are in their late 30's enjoy a drink but sensible with it not your rowdy type.
My point being allocation on arrival is like a lottery and if a group of younger rowdy late teen early 20's lads 9or lasses) had been in that position they obviously end up on the streets of Pollensa.
I think the current financial climate probably has a lot to do with things. I visited another fav of mine (NERJA) on the Costa Del Sol a few weeks ago and I see a change in the type of clientel visiting that resort, as an example some yobish behaviour by a group of SPURS fans, well, I assume Spurs fans as one guy walking around singing clinging to his pint glass had SPURS tattooed across the base of his spine, that was just one example of a number.

I usually alternate trips between PP & Nerja, although I have not visited PP for 3 years and will be my next trip so I hope it has not changed too much.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:22

Oscar, No it has not changed much, i was there for 3 weeks in June and did not see any football shirts.

P.s: If i were a Spurs fan, doubt if i'd be singing about it!!!
Old 29-07-2009, 16:20

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of people having a good time and I have nothing against people with tattoo's, have one upper arm covered myself, but the reason I visit PP is to get away from life for a while, chill-out as my son would call it and enjoy that unique atmosphere you only find in PP and to a degree Nerja and really dont want to see Football shirts and topless men showing their tatted chest at 9 in the evening.
Old 29-07-2009, 21:01

Oscar III - another Nerja fan...i first went there in the mid 70's (when there was nothing there and you had to walk along a deserted clifftop to get to Burriana beach and Torrecilla beach was also empty)..again in the 80's and then in the 90's (when my daughter was small.)..it was my first love but PP is now my current.It is surprising how may people you speak to who love PP have also been to Nerja......
Old 29-07-2009, 23:45

Yeah Cath, Nerja is kinda similar to PP in a way, I suppose it's because it is not crammed with Brit theme pubs and has a more up market feel by retaining it's Spanish pueblo qualities.

Funny thing I noticed the other week (or not so funny as I don't like to see anyone fail financially) in Nerja was a British bar empty and two more traditional tapas bars either side full of people sitting outside relaxing. I find the 'Rusty Nail' and 'British Bulldog' type of pub offensive on the eye in both resorts.
That reminds me, is the Burger King hamburger joint still there in PP? When I see that place appear a few year ago I was gobsmacked and thought it was a disturbing sign of things to come in PP .

That's one thing I have not seen in Nerja but it wont suprise me to return in a few years to see a Macdonalds on the Balcon de Europe.

Anyway, looking forward to returning to PP very soon.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar III View Post
That reminds me, is the Burger King hamburger joint still there in PP? When I see that place appear a few year ago I was gobsmacked and thought it was a disturbing sign of things to come in PP .

That's one thing I have not seen in Nerja but it wont suprise me to return in a few years to see a Macdonalds on the Balcon de Europe.

Anyway, looking forward to returning to PP very soon.
Yes Oscar, Burger King is still there, but does not seem to attract rowdyism or yobish behaviour, don't forget PP is a family resort and rightly or wrongly most children love burgers.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:46
Super Moderator

Yes, even the local kids use it.
Old 30-07-2009, 13:14

Hey, I have no problem with these establishments, infact i've taken my son in there for burger and chips, I personally think it's an eye sore and it's where it's situated, the BK sign looks absolutly lovely looking at PP from out at sea.
Don't know if they are still there but there was a Only Fools & Horses bar and Rovers Return bar in PP, those two place were there for peoples enjoyment if they like that sort of thing but they are kind of discreetly tucked away but easy to find if you want them, just not my kind of thing.
BK may not attract rowdyism and I never suggested it did, I was just asking if the eyesore was still there, cheap fast food joints, Pubs, clubs and cheap & cheerful package holidays go together well so no point complaining about the clintel who start arriving.
I used to visit Ayia Napa in Cyprus 25 year ago, superb relaxed place back then. Slowly little things similar started to creep into the place, 25 year later the place is a vulgar hole.
Old 30-07-2009, 13:49

You thinking of Trotters Bar in side street down from the river inlet on Calla de Temple Feilding.
Old 30-07-2009, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
You thinking of Trotters Bar in side street down from the river inlet on Calla de Temple Feilding.
Yeah, believe so. Had a yellow 3-wheel Robin supervan outside as well. I am not having a go at these places and think it is situated in a perfect place for those who want to use it, infact I popped in there once to watch Amir Khan win his medal in the Olympics, I just rather see things like BK not be thrust to the front line and think town planning/council need to use a little thought when granting approval. Sure there are many more places BK could have been sited with accessibility.

Anyway that's just my view
Old 30-07-2009, 19:59

I do agree that local councils must accept reponsibility for keeping the character of a resort. I would hate to see the same thing happen to PP that has happened here in Newquay.
Having said that - I think PP still retains its magic and our holiday earlier this year in June was probably our best ever.