Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Thomas cook - cash passport (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/4949-thomas-cook-cash-passport.html)

CHALKFAMILY 14-07-2009 18:11

Thomas cook - cash passport

Has anybody used the Thomas Cook Cash Passport. Apparently its a visa card that u load up with money as much as you want then u can use it at ATMs or in restaurants, supermarkets etc. Wondered about doing this rather than bringing all our money in Euros or travellers cheques. Any comments greatly appreciated.xx:)

pollensa 14-07-2009 18:53

You can also buy a Cash Passport (pre-paid card) from travelex - see Foreign Currency in Majorca - Euros - which you can order & top-up online.

Mark1875 14-07-2009 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHALKFAMILY (Post 32527)
Has anybody used the Thomas Cook Cash Passport. Apparently its a visa card that u load up with money as much as you want then u can use it at ATMs or in restaurants, supermarkets etc. Wondered about doing this rather than bringing all our money in Euros or travellers cheques. Any comments greatly appreciated.xx:)

I went to Greece with Thomas Cook in May, I wouldn't use them again if they gave me a holiday for nothing. Simplest thing, get a Nationwide Flex account and don't get charged for it or use your UK bank card, it does the self same thing!

Rangers1 15-07-2009 07:17

Post office do a card as well and if you dont want to spend time opening a nationwide account that will in the future have charges then use the post office travel card and the only fee on that (as long as you load it with euros before you go and you get a better rate than normal at the post office) is 2 euros each time you withdraw.

I can see why people on here like the nationwide account but charges will start to creep in on these accounts over the coming months;)

Mark1875 15-07-2009 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers1 (Post 32545)
Post office do a card as well and if you dont want to spend time opening a nationwide account that will in the future have charges then use the post office travel card and the only fee on that (as long as you load it with euros before you go and you get a better rate than normal at the post office) is 2 euros each time you withdraw.

I can see why people on here like the nationwide account but charges will start to creep in on these accounts over the coming months;)

Because I have used the Nationwide Flex Account for years without charges and with the best rate of exchange rate on the market.

Where do you get your information from that things might change with Nationwide? A 2 euro per transaction is not cheap?

Rangers1 16-07-2009 06:28

Im very pleased you have had your nationwide account for years and get the best exchange rate on the market but its not for everyone and this is a forum to pass ideas on.

I work in the banking industry and its a common known fact that charges will come in. With regards to 2 euros being a high charge this is less than most charges for cash machines in the UK ( you know the ones that do charge not normal bank ones) and i would sooner do this than have another bank account and thats the charge for withdrawing money all other transactions there are no charges . Each to their own i guess and the forum is a great place to pass on evryones views.:rolleyes:

Mark1875 16-07-2009 07:19

Ahh, so its a common known fact in the banking industry? However as we type this no charges are levied by nationwide to withdraw cash from cash machines in Spain?

Rangers1 16-07-2009 14:11

If you remember there was a post early this year saying charges had been brought in on the nationwide card (credit card i think) but not in europe which i think is correct. but this will change as margins on other banking items shrink the banks will look to get the money from elswhere and someone like nationwide who look to their savings etc to balance the books will have to pull money in from else where as rates on savings are low and mortgages are not selling.

sws97sdg 16-07-2009 14:24

Thats always possible rangers, but just to clarify at present Nationwide doesn’t charge for withdrawals on its flex account in Spain, plus can I add it was painless and quick to set one up, about half an hour.

Rangers1 17-07-2009 07:14

I know it does not charge and i didnt say it did and it might be painless to set one up but the WHOLE idea of a forum is to share different views not everyone wants more bank accounts that you use once a year just to save the odd few euros here and there.

El Gordo 17-07-2009 10:59

If we could all predict the future we could all be millionaires!

I believe that Nationwide was just passing on new charges levied by Visa for overseas transactions, with Visa Europe not charging a fee. If this changes, no doubt Nationwide will pass the fee on.

In transactions their are two aspects to fees, the standard charge circa £2.50 per transaction and the exchange rate. Some banks charge the £2.50 and also give a poor exchange rate, others like Nationwide don't charge at the moment for Europe and give the interbank rate which is very good.

The best site, as far as I'm concerned, is Moneysavingexpert.com, where it discusses all about getting the best deal, that suits the individual, one size does not fit all!!

Here is a link: Moneysaving expert Cheap Travel Money.

Scroll down the page to identify "The cards from Hell". If you've one of these be particularly careful using abroad!!

Its great to see that posters ask for advice about these topics as it gives the opportunity to point people in the right direction to get unbiased opinion, backed up by up to date facts, as given via the above site.

Read it, do the research, and make your choice which is best for you. Lets not bicker about opinions and unknowns!!

Rangers1 17-07-2009 12:23

Yes your right if only we could predict the furture but rest assured these charges will come in on these accounts.

Seems alot on here take comments to heart sorry my view is against the view of all on here but thats life.

Thanks for the breakdown on charges i was fully aware of how they work as for bickering im not just giving a view .

I will sign off now and let you all get on with your lives in your world through rose coloured spectales:p

pollensa 17-07-2009 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hola its GL (Post 32681)
Read it, do the research, and make your choice which is best for you. Lets not bicker about opinions and unknowns!!

Thank you - exactly my sentiment.:)

Kezza66 17-07-2009 13:00

I am not in Banking.
I have found the postings of all concerned on this (and other previous ) financial postings interesting and useful .
The forum gives me the opportunity to see and weigh up different perspectives ( and sometimes add my own views ) but at the end of the day it is down to me to do my own research and choose whichever arrangements suit our particular circumstances.( Each to his/her own )

CHALKFAMILY 17-07-2009 13:53

Thanks for all the comments I too have found them all really informative and I was happy for Rangers1 to give his opinions as this is why I posted the thread in the first place. Thanks very much.