Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 07:58

Post What's happened to the Church in the Square?

Hiya,

It's not that long ago that people were choosing to come out to PP to get married in the lovely Church in the Square but for the past couple of years it has been looking the worse for wear. The gardens unkept, weeds growing at the front door and all the grafitti. The Hall aslo seems to be unused whereas it always used to be busy.

The Square is also looking shabby, the grass all gone and no flowers.

....just a sign of the times ?

Miriam
Sponsored Links
Old 24-06-2009, 08:43

Hi Miriam, the square is scheduled for a facelift this year according to local press a couple of weeks ago and also I think the seafront.!!! Watch this space.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:58
Super Moderator

Hola Miriam, there is a thread on this section, entitled "Square to be upgraded" by Bonyslad. Think it was written back in May so you may have to scroll through a couple of pages or just type it into the "Search" facility.
Old 24-06-2009, 23:25

Hiya,

Thanx to both... but still doesnt cover the Church angle. I am more suprised by the state of that, than the square.
The square is down to council... and we all know how these things work. But I would have thought that the Church, its enterance and garden areas would have been well looked after. In our Village, the parishioners take a very active part in the care and maintenance of the Church and grounds...and I would have thought more so in this part of the world.

Miriam
Old 25-06-2009, 10:23
Super Moderator

Yes Miriam i agree the church does seem to be being neglected, it's a shame because it is a focal point in PP.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:01

Hi,unfortunately the Church is part of the Spanish Catholic church and I don't think the current priest is as good as the previous one and maybe local people not interested!! The Church of England only rent the facility for their service hence the time (0900.)
Old 28-06-2009, 12:43

Default Church in the square

I've just returned after 3 wonderful weeks! But agree the back of the church, were the old buddies used to play bowls, looks sadly neglected! Graffiti in any church never mind a catholiic one in a catholic country is sacrelidge. This stuff is easily removed, yet no attempt was made to remove any of it while i was there.

Slightly of topic, i wouldn't normaly dine in the "square" even if they were giving the food away for free! But did go to the new Chinese one just beyond the chain across the road ( a WONDERFUL restaurant), which is situated to the left of the church and was amazed at the number of kids/youths playing football, kicking balls against the walls, running bikes all over the place, running bikes down thru the diners etc. Sorry folks i just don,t get this "local colour" nonsense, these kids are a absolute menace and should be removed from the square, pronto!
Old 28-06-2009, 18:57

Must say it is the most disappointing square I have ever visited but thankfully Pollenca square is one of the nicest. PP is such a beautiful place so lets hope the square and Church gets a well deserved face-lift!!

Last edited by favie; 28-06-2009 at 19:03.
Old 29-06-2009, 19:23
Banned

Hi all

We are regular visitors to PP and I totally agree re the square and church area. The square is in dire need of a makeover so let's hope the council pull their fingers out and get on with it.

The church has a lot of graffiti on it including a swastika and a phalic symbol. What is wrong with some people? Why has it not been pressure-washed off or painted over? It would take an hours labour at most.

While on the subject, there is an awful lot of dog mess in the town centre area. Do the police or local council not enforce penalties for not clearing it up? And please don't anyone tell me it's a "Spanish thing"!

Do the town council ever get told any of these complaints does anyone know?

Rant over!

Nick
Old 29-06-2009, 19:42
Super Moderator

I am told that the local residents association have regular meetings and all these problems are passed on to the mayor. While i agree that the graffiti could be removed, quickly and easily, the dog doo thing is more of a problem. The man with the blower is out every morning but by lunchtime there are fresh piles to be seen, some owners are very good and pick up after their dogs but as in the UK a lot just don't care. To be honest when was the last time you heard of anybody getting fined, as in the UK it is very difficult to catch them in the act.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:53

Angry lets shame them!!!

Surely we as holiday makers with ready cameras could take pictures of the culprits and publish and shame them!!!
Could we have a new photo section for this!!! or are we invading their privacy!!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 30-06-2009, 09:09
Super Moderator

Gordon, the problem is a lot of dogs just roam around the square and streets. I don't know if they are strays or if the owners just let them out, so it would be pointless taking photos.
In my opinion the problem is no worse than where i come from in the UK, but it gets cleaned up quicker here.
Old 30-06-2009, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Gordon, the problem is a lot of dogs just roam around the square and streets. (
We haven't eaten in the square much at all, in fact only twice and that was in Centric, first night entrance side but the second time facing the square and I remember well a few dogs running round the tables looking for tit-bits to eat from diners .....can't say it was very pleasent as they were quite ferocious looking!!
Where I come from all dogs must be tagged, if found roaming on their own the appropriate department is phoned and dog returned to owner, if not tagged the dog is taken to kennels. Quite a good practice I think! Sparky pass that one to the PP Council......surely it could work in a small place like PP.

PS: very rarely see stray dogs and this in turn helps with the other "Doggie" problem!

Last edited by favie; 30-06-2009 at 23:52.
Old 30-06-2009, 22:17

Thanks Sparky and Favie

I understand the problem and was trying to generate discussion/ideas to improve the situation. Which has worked.

How do we move on from here?

Maybe a petition? How can we create an online petition from the forum to be presented to the powers that be. I'm sure active members would add their names in support.

Anyone got other ideas?

My FlickR Photos
Old 30-06-2009, 23:18

I'd willingly add my name to the petition to stop dog owners letting their dogs foul the streets. I don't think you need photos, just a strongly-worded letter, along with the petition, to the local council. And it's obviously not just the tourists who object to this 'foul' behaviour (sorry about the pun) but the locals, too, who must be disgusted by it.
What is the law in PP concerning dog fouling? Do they provide dog litter bins, as they do in other places?

I think something needs to be done, and if the locals won't, or can't, do anything, then the visitors might have to. LET'S GET A PETITION GOING!