Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15

Default Watching Barca on TV

On the same subject, we will be in PP when the Champions League final is on. I presume that there will be great local support for Barca should they beat Chelsea this week. Can anyone advise where we can watch in PP for the best local atmosphere? If it's a Barca v Man Utd final we will definitely be rooting for the Catalans!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
If it's a Barca v Man Utd final we will definitely be rooting for the Catalans!
always beats me this one, i assume you are from this fair isle of ours so why would you possibly support a spanish team rather than a british team

watched wimbledon a couple of summers back in pp when murray was playing nadal and most of the brits were wanting nadal to win

even being from north of carlisle i would still rather see/support a british team/person win rather than a non brit
Old 03-05-2009, 23:57

Good for you Gers. By the way, does that go as far the other Glasgow team who wear hoops?

I would usually want the English side to win, but I have my reasons not to in this scenario, as would thousands and thousands of others for similar resons.

Again, any ideas where we could experience a good local atmosphere for the game?
Old 04-05-2009, 00:51
Super Moderator

Hi Paul, if you are staying in the Gomar area The Golden Lion ( that's where i will be ) would be a great place to be as they are Barca fans, like me, however if you are nearer the port area i think just about any bar that is showing it would be good. JK's have big screens and 3 tv's, Mulligans has a big screen and tv's.

Last edited by Sparky; 04-05-2009 at 09:55.
Old 04-05-2009, 00:52

Good for sticking to the thread Paul......I am sure you will get plenty of sensible answers.......but hope we get to hear Gers answer to your question!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25

Thanks guys. Sparky, what will the atmosphere there be like? Will there be a general party / carnival atmosphere in PP generally or only in certain bars?

May all be academic of course, if Chelsea manage to strangle them with their brand of cattenacio.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:39
Super Moderator

LOL @ Paul, it seems like the whole place erupts when they win a big game, not just Barca, there are a lot of Real Madrid fans here as well. You get fireworks and rockets going off every few seconds and some of them drive around waving flags and holding flares out of the car windows. And it seems the celebrations go on well into the wee small hours. It's brilliant to be here to witness it.
Old 04-05-2009, 14:13

" Some say that footba' is a matter of life or death, but I can assure you it is more important than that " The great and legendary Bill Shankly.

Was going to do a seperate post but as someone asks the place to be last Saturday night was the Bar Cultural. Big screen up above the stage , place packed and standing room only. Predominantly local but heavy presence of all the people that keep this place ticking over , maids, taxi drivers, local shopkeepers etc etc , it was the place to be. Mainly Madrileno's cos the front rows became funeral as the match unfolded. Few young Barca fans at the back. Wonderful , wonderful atmosphere with only a few footy shirts in sight. You realise the history and issues that go into supporting either of these teams and the underlying passions.

Barca were awesome and demolished Madrid , Chelsea , be afraid, be very afraid !!!!

BonysLad
Old 04-05-2009, 15:36

Sounds like the place to be if Barca reach the final! I saw the Madrid v Barca game on tv here and although you are right to say Barca were awesome going forward, Bonyslad, Madrid were as dire in defence as they were against Liverpool recently. I fear Barca will find it a lot more difficult against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. In the first leg they seemed to resort to rolling around on the floor after 20 minutes or so when they saw the game was not going to plan. Credit to Chelsea for "killing" the game. However, I cannot see Barca failing to score again as Chelsea will have to play a bit more progressively at home, and will probably have to score two or more to win. In terms of individual talent, Barca are probably the best in Europe at the moment, but often fail against better organised and highly motivated sides.

Personally, I was delighted to see Real get a pasting. I wonder who their next manager will be?

Actually Sparky, I am quite suprised to hear there are so many Madrid fans in Mallorca given the history and everything, and the proximity to Catalonia. Although, maybe I shouldn't be when you consider the widespread geographical support for teams such as Man Utd in England.
Old 04-05-2009, 15:48

Ca'n Picoteo (next door to Oliveras) is another possibility- its not a big bar but a great atmosphere there on Saturday night..(.although Miguel was nearly having a heart attack when he could not get the sat box/card to work at 5.30pm!.).The place was packed -nearly all Barca supporters but there were a few Real madrid fans there too.
Old 04-05-2009, 18:16

Quote:
Good for you Gers. By the way, does that go as far the other Glasgow team who wear hoops?

I would usually want the English side to win, but I have my reasons not to in this scenario, as would thousands and thousands of others for similar resons.

Again, any ideas where we could experience a good local atmosphere for the game?
PaulB,

I would go to JK's as I have done on many previous occassions, it's a good atmosphere etc. and will be busy.

regards,

jimbo
Old 05-05-2009, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo the Jambo View Post
PaulB,

I would go to JK's as I have done on many previous occassions, it's a good atmosphere etc. and will be busy.

regards,

jimbo
Jimbo, You're right but last Saturday night JKs were showing rugby league for all those of you from ooop north !!!!

When there's an ENGLISH team in the final ( as there inevitably will be ) I expect JKs to be buzzing.

Incidentally, should I book my seat now for Scotland in next year's World Cup ??

BonysLad
Old 05-05-2009, 15:19
Super Moderator

BUT JK's (and i love it there) is a Real Madrid Bar . LOL.
Old 05-05-2009, 19:01

Default Barca

Quote:

To our eternal pride, let's not forget, the 1st British team to win the "big cup", all with a team who all lived within 30 miles of their home stadium, and the only British team who will ever win it with 11 of our own nationals.
Old 05-05-2009, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
Good for sticking to the thread Paul......I am sure you will get plenty of sensible answers.......but hope we get to hear Gers answer to your question!!!
well spoted favies, neither the time or the place to go into the politics of this here as its a pp forum but the hoops are not and never will be a truely british side, read the their "history" but well tried

as for when the the tic won the "real" cup in 67 there were 8 brothers in the team including the manager

jk's would be my shout for the old socerrooni
Closed Thread