Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-04-2009, 10:49

Default Radio Pollenca

Hi All,
Does RĄDIO POLLENĒA 107.9 FM transmit in English? I've never been able to pick up any radio stations at in PP. Is it just me and my cheap little radio?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 17-04-2009, 10:57

Hi Pollpott
No its not just you, its not possible to pick up much with a radio, in the car its different but I think all the stations have a very limited range, and all the mountains in the area dont help, as you drive around the island you find stations coming then going all the time. You can listen online if you are wireless, or maybe if you have satellite TV you may get some from that. I just take my iPod and speakers and use that.
Old 17-04-2009, 13:24

Wink

Thanks SWS97SDG,

I'll just have to bring my cd player.
It would be nice to know what's going on locally though through the radio. Maybe someone could set one up! Could be a nice little earner for someone. Radio Pirate Pollensa.

T
Old 19-04-2009, 16:18
Under Moderation

It's funny you should say that, I work in radio in the UK and over the last couple of visits we've had to PP I'd pondered setting up a station. Just got back last night from a week of fun and research with the aim of getting an English language station on the air for the North of the island.

I'm looking initially at an online trial service to be up and running shortly with an island based FM service sometime in the future (lots of legal stuff to sort).

Was keeping this under wraps but as the subject's come up (and it's about time I contributed to these forums rather than just read them) what would you like to see on a future service? Would it be something you'd listen to online in the UK as well as in the hire car?
Old 19-04-2009, 17:37

Three years ago, when the terrorists were thwarted from setting up bombs with liquid (remember?) we were just about to fly home from PP. The TV in our villa was terrible and we couldn't pick up any news at all. It would have been so useful to have had a radio station that we could listen to and get updates on the news. I resorted to having to call home to get news about what we had to do to fly home.

So, good luck with your venture! I would love to be able to listen to a Radio station, that was based in PP, online!
Old 19-04-2009, 21:02

Making the radio station island wide would give more scope for material of interest and potential listeners,I think. Good luck, I will listen in any case!
Old 19-04-2009, 21:02

Hi,

Yes, I'd also love to be able to listen online from the Uk. It would be great to keep up with local news, weather & gossip.
Good luck & keep us informed!!
Old 20-04-2009, 08:29

What could be better on a dull UK day than watching the PP webcam while listening to local news and events, close your eyes and you're there. Keep the music middle of the road (radio 2ish) though.
Old 21-04-2009, 12:04

Thumbs up

I'd just like to repeat what Cherylbb said, so I have.

"Hi,

Yes, I'd also love to be able to listen online from the Uk. It would be great to keep up with local news, weather & gossip.
Good luck & keep us informed!!"

A local station would be great. News, weather, a bit of gossip, and some good music. Not too bothered about the rest of the island. I only ever go to PP. And I'd certainly listen to it at home, on the Internet.
Old 21-04-2009, 17:48

Hello RB and welcome. If you are thinking about FM broadcast are you restricted on the power output and that is why the current stations are so weak?

GG
Old 21-04-2009, 22:35
Under Moderation

Certainly there are likely to be some power restrictions, but most of the existing stations broadcast from the south of the island. The mountains block a lot of signals too.

Lots of forms in the process of being looked at and dealt with at the moment but we're making good progress on getting a web version up and running.

It's great to hear that so many people would be interested in tuning in from the UK too while watching the webcam.

Thank you for your comments so far.