Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   new pedestrian walkway between PP and Pollenca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/4426-new-pedestrian-walkway-between-pp-pollenca.html)

ray 27-03-2009 21:05

new pedestrian walkway between PP and Pollenca

The local council laid the first stone yesterday on the long awaited pedestrian link between the port and the old town .Supposed to have lots of trees planted and public benches en route. Work has started and is scheduled to last for the next ten weeks(right through Easter!)

El Gordo 28-03-2009 08:27

In my opinion, they could spend their money on a better project!! The best walking route is via the back roads. You can take the second left after Gotmar, its very pleasant.

In fact you used to be able to walk through Gotmar, skirting the Puig de Gotmar (or whatever its called) and the join the same road a few years ago but I think a new house blocked off the route. Is there any access to this puig above Gotmar, I would imagine the views would be terrific.

El Gordo 28-03-2009 08:30

Having said that I suppose that safety for pedestrians is important and also for people who have or rent the villas between PP and P, it would provide a pleasant facility.

Mark1875 28-03-2009 08:33

I always felt that as the father of two primary school age boys, the walk from the Rosa Blanca/ White Rose Pub roundabout to the Eroski roundabout was downright dangerous. It was part of the reason we never chose to stay in that area this year. I am pleased they are doing something about it.

El Gordo 28-03-2009 08:42

I stand corrected and totally agree, I was thinking of from the Habitat roundabout to Pollensa, forgetting about the small length of road between the plane roundabout and Habitat.

Mark1875 28-03-2009 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hola its GL (Post 28790)
I stand corrected and totally agree, I was thinking of from the Habitat roundabout to Pollensa, forgetting about the small length of road between the plane roundabout and Habitat.

I think that will make a huge difference to people staying in that part of town. We stayed in Bellauba last year as we took the long route along the new bypass into town when we walked, although that could do with improved lighting for pedestrians too.

Angie 28-03-2009 09:48

This sounds like great news, we are staying on the old town in June and would love to be able to walk to the port :)

Gommar Goffer 28-03-2009 10:48

It is great news. This should have been done years ago when Gommar was developed and the stretch along the main road to the old town will be great for pedestrians and cyclists alike - much safer. There have been numerous people killed and injured along both stretches of road.

GG

Labore 28-03-2009 21:09

Is this the pathway that they started a while ago which runs alongside the river/wetlands at the side of Tolos ? If not when does this open and where does it lead to ?

ryansclan 28-03-2009 21:17

Pathway near Tolo's restaurant

Hi Labore. I think they are talking about a different place altogether. Themain road out of the Port in the direction of Old Town Pollensa. Who knows when they are ever going to open the pathway you are talking about, it looked almost finished when we were there last June. Doe anyone know what the problem is with this area around from Tolos?

Barwin 28-03-2009 23:05

We have stayed in Gommar for 4 years now and tend to cross over the habitat roundabout and walk through Siller into the market area of town. It is not the best lit for walking back but the kids love the noise of the crickets after dark. Cannot wait until the Easter hols when we will be over for 10 days.

binny 29-03-2009 13:14

New Pathway?

Does anyone know what kind of distance it would be and how long would it

would take to walk approx?

pollensa 29-03-2009 16:15

We had a drive out today & tried to see where this had started. Was the first stone at the Pollensa Town end or the Port? Will it it be on both or one side of the road & will it be in addition to or part of the current cycle path? Also is the Pollensa end the Roman Bridge end (near Cellar es Moli) or furthr along?

We couldn't see any sign of it today but hopefully there'll be more when we come back at the end of April.

ryansclan 29-03-2009 17:04

We're going out on Thursday and using only bikes so if we see any signs of work (sometimes easier on a bike) I'll post on the progress. Also on the area around the Tolo's water area.

debz1 29-03-2009 18:34

The īnature trailīnear Tolos is still not open! We went and looked this afternoon after it had stopped raining :rolleyes: and couldnīt see why as all the paths and seating areas appear to be finished.

Sparky 30-03-2009 10:00

I was told the reason it is not open is, there is a dispute between the council and a land owner. :rolleyes:

Gommar Goffer 30-03-2009 10:15

Pollensa - from what I had read last year I imagined it in my mind's eye to be on the left hands side of the road (Rosa Blanca Bar side) as you leave the port and replaces the cycle lane. I imagine it will end at the roundabout as you get to the old town.

GG

whaleywanderer 30-03-2009 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by debz1 (Post 28837)
The īnature trailīnear Tolos is still not open! We went and looked this afternoon after it had stopped raining :rolleyes: and couldnīt see why as all the paths and seating areas appear to be finished.

It may be like the swimming pool, a question of cost and who pays for the upkeep of it.:rolleyes: They have made this area really nice and it's a pleasant walk through to the road that leads into Pollensa (had to get that in to keep it on thread) and to the Eroski supermarket (that used to be Capbrabo). We were fortunate and were able to walk it before they fenced it off.

lollipop 30-03-2009 13:25

With regard to the Pollensa -Puerto Pollensa footpath,there is definitely activity on the road from Habitat towards the Eroski roundabout today, and the La Gola walkway now has maps on the notice boards showing the footpaths and resting areas, so maybe an opening is due.Apparently last summer there was some kind of a party on the area just after it was finished with lots of rubbish including syringes left!!. That is only hearsay I did not see it.

ray 30-03-2009 14:02

The La Gola nature trail hasn't opened because the owner of the "building site"right alongside the information office of La Gola is fighting compulsory purchase of his land . He reckons it's not an eyesore and that the site could open without the need for his bit of land allegedly! The pedestrian walkway is coming out near the cockerell roundabout in Pollenca and alongside the route of the water links between the two places(wherever that is!)I get the impression that it will come from the Llenaire area and along back roads??

lollipop 30-03-2009 19:49

The work that was done last year on the water links went straight along the main road and my understanding was that was to be the route for the footpath,they have definitely levelled the ground on the lower section of the road today.

lollipop 22-04-2009 16:15

Just a quick update on the footpath. It is definitely taking shape and is going alongside the main road from Airplane roundabout(caprabo) to the old town. They have started at the port end ,which makes a nice change. Even saw people walking on the part laid area this morning.

Lala70w 24-04-2009 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollipop (Post 29663)
Just a quick update on the footpath. It is definitely taking shape and is going alongside the main road from Airplane roundabout(caprabo) to the old town. They have started at the port end ,which makes a nice change. Even saw people walking on the part laid area this morning.

That is good news - we stayed in a villa on the edge of siller and that walk along the hard shoulder into town was horrid.

Gommar Goffer 19-06-2009 10:35

Could someone 'on the ground' in PP give us an update on the progress of the footpath please :)

GG

lollipop 19-06-2009 14:05

Hi GG, the footpath is coming along! its about 1/3rd of the way but is not open on the completed bits yet. They seem to be spending quite a while flattening and rolling .

Gommar Goffer 19-06-2009 18:07

Thanks lollipop - I had hoped that the section between the seaplane and Habitat might be finished before the family come out in mid july, Just to make it safer getting to and from the port - hey ho!

GG

lollipop 19-06-2009 19:09

GG , I think it may well be open by then ,well that section at least. I'll keep you posted.

lollipop 01-07-2009 19:34

The footpath section from Aeroplane roundabout to beyond Habitat appears to be finished. There is certainly no work being done on this and apart from the barrier at Habitat end all are to one side. Easy to access even with barrier. People are walking on it although some still walking on road. Should make life easier for the summer for those who walk into the port.

Gommar Goffer 02-07-2009 09:39

Thanks for the update lollipop - have they installed street lighting? It will be a shame for more light pollution to be added to the area but good from a safety point.

GG

lollipop 02-07-2009 13:55

No extra lights as yet,but I'm not sure its completely finished. Waiting to see if they restart on the next stretch!!

ray 02-07-2009 16:11

The whole project seems to have stalled waiting for funding, there was supposed to be seating, lighting and trees planted en route. the 10 week completion date has been passed some time ago!!!

lollipop 08-07-2009 20:36

The barriers are down!!!!!! people using the pathway so hopefully a safer summer for folks.

Gommar Goffer 09-07-2009 11:28

Thanks for the update lollipop - that is good news, just in time for the wife/daughter/friends arrivimg next week. far safer for them to stumble along after a night in chivas - mind you it will probably be light by then :D

GG

sws97sdg 10-08-2009 16:22

The new footpath along the main road in from the Habitat looks great, but still some people were walking along the road :confused: They seem to have started it in the town as well coming down to the port, just around the roundabouts and stretch by the school

mearsy 19-01-2010 12:20

That's great news about the walk way. I havn't been to PP for a good couple of years, but all this could change in May!!

I've been trying to search where it is and only have vague memories of locations of roundabouts etc. I can't seem to find a decent map location for Habitat apartments, so can anyone shed any light on the actual location of the walkway in simple terms?!

Also, how long is it taking to walk it?

lollipop 19-01-2010 15:02

It runs from the Habitat roundabout( opposite White rose ) down as far as the aeroplane roundabout (by the Old Caprabo now Eroski) if that helps, and also runs from the same place towards Pollenca as far as La Villa.

Gommar Goffer 19-01-2010 16:45

I guess calling it a walkway could be misleading - pavement would probably be more apt and descriptive would it not? (or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?)

GG :)

lollipop 19-01-2010 16:58

I guess its more a pathway as not been tiled or slabbed.

jiggggy 19-01-2010 18:21

Isnt it a sidewalk? :rolleyes:

sws97sdg 19-01-2010 18:34

Jiggy you are just being silly now, of cause its not a sidewalk, it is not in the US you know, its a footpath