Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-03-2009, 21:03

Default We love it but will they?

My husband, my daughter and myself love PP, we have been going twice a year every year for the past 6 years. We were introduced to it by my father-in-law who visited for years with my late mother-in-law. They loved it and we fell in love with the place straight away.

Took my Mum and her friend back in 2005 and they now love it and have been going every since.

This year we have decided to go with a couple of a friends and their daughter, who is the same age as my daughter (and they are best friends at school). Our friends left it up to us to decide where to go and this was obviously our first choice and our friends said "well if you think we will like it then that's fine by us".

I am a little bit anxious now. We go at the end of May and I so want them to love it as much as we do and have a wonderful time. But what if they don't? What if they don't see what we see?

This is their main holiday (and the first time we have been away with them) and they are spending their hard earned cash on our recommendation. I am starting to feel a huge burden of responsibility looming on top of me

I would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience? Has anyone been in my position and their friends/family haven't enjoyed?

I realise that people like different things, but I just thought this might be interesting/fun topic.

Sue x.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-03-2009, 21:37

Hi Sue

What sort of activities do the other family & yourselves like doing ?

Do you have use of a car ?

How old are the girls ?

Where will you be staying ?

hope you don't think I'm being a nosey parker !!!!
Old 19-03-2009, 22:12

Hiya Sue,

Know how you feel...I was in the same predicament about this time last year.
My sister and Brother-in-law decided to join us as I had ranted so much about how great PP was..(they usually holiday in Italy, had never been to Spain or Majorca) Time grew closer and like you I was very concerned that as you said "they wouldn't see it as us PP lovers do". Well needn't have worried, in spite of the rain last May they adored the place so much so my sister now dreams about living there!! I am sure your friends will be the same!
Old 19-03-2009, 22:14

Hi Labore,

I do not think you are being nosey at all. I feel that as couples we are quite similar in what we like to do when we are on holiday, this was discussed when we had the initial discussion about holidaying together. We enjoy chilling out on the beach and people watching and so do our friends. We won't hire a car as I feel we did the sightseeing things in our "couple" days (our friends feel the same), plus you can get to most places by public transport (my favourite being Pollensa).

Both girls are 5 (one is only 3 days older than the other!), and as they are both an only child, we thought it would be nice to go together as they would have a playmate (we have known this couple for the past 5 years, we met at baby clinic when the girls were only a few weeks old). It is difficult to get them off the beach our out of the pool at that age (another reason why we won't get a car).

I booked the Flora as we have stayed there before and you have the option of the pool and the beach nearby.

I have shown our friends all our holiday videos from the past 6 years and I have rambled on for hours about how lovely it is, so they do have an idea of what's in store location wise.

Sue x.
Old 19-03-2009, 22:20

Hi Favie,

You must have been there the same time as we were last year in May as we had the rain too That's also concerning me a bit - the weather. Our friends are used to long haul holidays. Last year while we struggled with the up and down weather in PP, they were in the Dominican Republic!

I am hoping that the weather is slightly better than last year, because it has been up and down when we have been at the end of May previously.

They DO know that the weather will not be the same as in the Caribbean but I still feel slightly responsible

Sue x.
Old 19-03-2009, 22:31

Hi Sue,

Last May was a one off!!?? Remember though, on the good days it was really beautiful. We have been in May a few times and had glorious weather.......never seen rain at all!! Fingers crossed
Old 19-03-2009, 23:04

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemo View Post

I have shown our friends all our holiday videos from the past 6 years and I have rambled on for hours about how lovely it is, so they do have an idea of what's in store location wise.

Sue x.

Hiya Sue,

I dont think u have anything to worry about.. ur friends have sat thru 6 years worth of holiday vids AND u rambling for hours...and they still said yes ! By the time u all get over there, they will know it so well, they will be taking u about town !
Seriously tho, dont fret, so long as u all give each other space I'm sure u will all have a great time.

Have a good one!

Miriam
Old 19-03-2009, 23:22

Sue . I dont think you need to worry

First the weather ............ we went the last week in may for 11 years ( until daughter left primary school and we couldnt get 2 weeks hols any more at that time) and normally the weather was great ........... most years we had wall to wall sun and when it wasnt quite so good we would only get the odd day bad weather .......... last year was a complete one off

Secondly re whether friends will like the place ......... over the years I have recommended to or brought with us many family members and lots of friends ......... even done the school friend and her parents routine and have NEVER found anyone disappointed ........... all bar 1 family we have introduced to PP have returned.

We are actually going last week in may again this year and bringing 3 couples with us, one who we introduced about 6 years ago and this wiull now be their 4th trip and 2 PP Virgin couples

What we have found is that despite knowing friends nad family really well, the thing that we have disagreed upon is restaurants .......... people do have their own taste and some of our favourites havn;t been so for friends and they have found other places that we thought not so hot.

Basically your girls will have each other and so they will be happy and therefore both couples will also be happy .......... with 5 years olds it tends to work that way.

Last edited by its cd; 19-03-2009 at 23:25.
Old 20-03-2009, 08:24

Hi It's CD,

Thanks very much for your reply (and to everyone who has responded) I am starting to feel a little better now. I know you are right about the weather being a one off last year, we have been previously at the same time of year and had fantastic weather (looking at the webcam the last few days we should be there now).

I agree with what you are saying with regards to restaurants. Our friends and my husband and I enjoy going out to restaurants (we are going out tonight actually!), so we have an idea of their tastes in food, however as you say what some people thing is good, others may not. I am usually quite happy to try anything or anywhere once, so there may need to be some compromise

We are all quite laid back in our approach so we should be OK. My 5 year old must be picking up on my vibe as I have heard her in the playground telling her friend about the Pinewalk, and her favourite restaurants (Centric and Trio)

Sue x.
Old 20-03-2009, 12:35

haven't met anyone yet that says any thing bad about PP.

We recomended to friends couple of years ago with daughters same ages think about 7 at time. They stayed in different appartments but met up most days/nights they loved it. Think as long as you have similar tastes and ideas it's fine we all agreed at the start of holiday that we didn't have to be together every day and it worked out great (although even when not arranged we bumped it to them, similar tastes!). The girls still talk about it now at school would do it again.

Have a fab holiday.
Old 21-03-2009, 09:42

Sue,
The real concern here is one of you being TOO determined to please and getting stressed in the process. That means you are placing too much on your own shoulders and you have to take a more laid back view IMO.

I've sorted many hols our for friends who have little organisational tendencies and while you can do all the pre-planning in the world, in the end it's up to them to make the most of the holiday in terms of each days experiences. Some folks will take a half full attitude to the holiday at that point in time and some won't. My wife had a terrible tour of Italy that everyone else enjoyed all because of pre-birth hormones, there are many circumstances that cannot be controlled which can affect people's attitude so you can only do what you can do..no more.

Perhaps the best advice I'd give you is losing any anxiety or pressure of expectation that your are putting on yourself..this anxiety will be infectious and make you all feel a little uncomfortable in the end. It's like the first dinner parties you threw when just married... can be a little tense (remember those? lol!). In the end, you will always enjoy chilling with good friends.

So I would suggest that you prepare a list of tips on both places to each and things to do from this site and then take a relaxed attitude that you are happy to do most things as and when they feel like doing it... it'll stop any danger of them feeling constrained (by you enthusiasm to please!)... and stress that you may not do any of them if neither of you feels like it.

Let them create their own set of PP experiences, do have some chill time on your own no matter how much you love one another's company and ..be flexible but most of all make sure you are happy yourself and all will be well!
Enjoy!
x
Old 21-03-2009, 15:11

We have been on holiday with another family and more recently with two other friends as well as with other members of our own family (sister, parents and cousins)all of them have fallen in love with the area and re-visited. Sometimes with us and other times on their own holidays. I am sure your friends will love it!
Old 22-03-2009, 11:21

similar thing as us a couple of years ago

friends of ours joined us for a long weekend with their daughter same age as our youngest, they usally go to large resorts with lots on, busy places with theme bars etc you now the type of place

they really weren't turned on by pp, too quite for them they said not enough buzz

we all had a great time though as they are good friends they were happy to see us happy, sure your friends will be the same even if pp isnt their cup of tea
Old 22-03-2009, 14:22

Default weather

Hi Sue

If the weather is good while you are there I'm sure both families will have a great time as its easy to keep the munchkins happy on the beach or by the pool .

The real test will come if the weather takes a turn for the worse so be prepared and try and think of things to do in advance should the worse happen.

Hope you all have a great time - I'm sure you will.
Old 11-06-2009, 19:46

Dear All,

I started this thread back in March, and I am delighted to report that we are back from our holiday and our friends LOVED PP

All my worrying was for nothing and thank you again to all of you who reassured me.

The only worrying time was when we were on our transfer coach and we dropped off in the middle of Alcudia (not the old town), there faces were visibly concerned, however we reassured them that PP was very different (my apologies to all Alcudia lovers - it's just not our kind of place)

As a family they have never taken a holiday in the same place twice, but they did say they would definately go back to PP and could see why we returned year after year.

So all my worrying was for nothing - we had a fantastic holiday.

Yours

Relieved (Suemo)