Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 10:06

I am sure it applies to all customers new and old, I have stopped using mine

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 27-02-2011, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Just checked the Moneysavingexpert site as they have a guide to the cheapest way of spending abroad. On there it says that the change in conditions for the Nationwide credit card is for new applications and does not apply to existing card holders who will continue to get commission free purchases (not cash) in Spain. I have emailed Nationwide for confirmation.
The small print on the Nationwide website - and perhaps they should know, says
"Eligibility:

* If you already have a credit card with Nationwide, and want to switch cards, please ring Credit Card Services on 08457 99 88 99.*
* If you've closed a Nationwide Credit Card in the last 12 months then you aren't eligible for the introductory offers, but you can still apply by calling us or visiting your local branch"

By this I assume you are able to switch cards - if you couldn't change why invite you to phone?

I understand the eligibility for introductory offers to mean you can't have another '0% interest for x months' deal if you have already had one with your original card, which seems fair enough.

The Rewards card gives new applicants unlimited commision free foreign spend till end of July, without having the necesary Sterling spending. Possibly this will be unavailable to card switchers also. Fair enough, again, I suppose.
Soon find out - I intend ringing today to get the score from the horses mouth, so to speak. With apologies to any Nationwide call centre staff reading this
Old 27-02-2011, 11:54

Just a reminder, the card we all loved and used was a debit card with no charges, a lot of credit cards do not charge abroad but its not the same as having one that you can pre load or that draws form your normal account

On island time!!
Old 28-02-2011, 11:01

Just spoken to a real person in Wakefield.
It seems that if you have an existing Nationwide credit card, then Euro transactions have been, and remain, commision free.
The new card gives commision free worldwide transactions based of the value of sterling transactions previously made.
So, looking solely at PP - and who would want to go anywhere else? - the existing card is the better deal.
Old 28-02-2011, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
......does not apply to existing card holders who will continue to get commission free purchases (not cash) in Spain.
Sorry, this bit didn't register when I read the post the other day. My post above confirms this.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:34

Just received this reply to my email to Nationwide -

Please be advised the article you read was not in reference to your Nationwide Credit Card. The information is in reference to a new credit card offered by Nationwide.

At this time Nationwide have offered all Nationwide Credit Card customers the opportunity to make purchases which will incur no commission fees or a visa fee charge, This includes purchases anywhere in the world.

This special offer applicable to Gold, Classic, Cash reward and the new card will last until July 31st 2011.

After July 31st 2011 To clarify your Nationwide Gold Card will remain commission free and will incur no visa fee charges for making purchases using your card in visas’ European region.

If you use your card by making a purchase outside of visa European region you will be charged a 1% visa fee

Regards,

Christina Critchley
Customer Consultant
Nationwide Building Society: Mortgages, Savings, Current Accounts, Banking, Insurance, Credit Cards, Loans, Investments
Old 28-02-2011, 17:56

Easy way is with FairFX card, used one in Tenerife very good, you load up with Euro's then use it like a credit card no charges, only charge is if you draw cash from ATM 1.50€ standard charge. Dont get the card direct as they charge you go via Martins Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more web site card then is free.
You can load card as and when you like so wait for good rates todays rate is 1.1578 thats what you get. Travel Money Card - Best Exchange Rates - FairFX Currency Card
Old 01-03-2011, 18:36

Don't know if people are aware that if you bank with Santander/Abbey/Alliance and Leicester you can use your debit card free of charges in Santander ATMs at its branches in Spain. Please tell me that the Santander Bank is still there in the port!

I am so fed up with them since they took over Alliance and Leicester but have stayed with them for this reason. I will probably now cancel my Nationwide account, which I only opened for the free ATM! Oh dear, it is so confusing trying to get the best deal!
Old 01-03-2011, 19:54

Yes they are still in the port on the main road just up from barclays.
Old 01-03-2011, 21:11

Thanks Lollipop, I thought it might be just my luck that it had closed!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55

Heres a link to Moneysavingexperts recommendations.

However, it leaves out this excellent Santander perk because it is limited to Spanish Santander ATM's.

My FlickR Photos
Old 03-03-2011, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Just a reminder, the card we all loved and used was a debit card with no charges, a lot of credit cards do not charge abroad but its not the same as having one that you can pre load or that draws form your normal account
but if you have a 'nil' balance, surely you can pre-load in sterling before going away, or do they limit credit balances?
Old 03-03-2011, 16:18

I am not sure, but of cause if you use a zero rated credit card and pay it all off on your return that would be another way round paying charges.

On island time!!