Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2009, 11:00

Default Could Puerto Pollensa become a winter tourist destination?

After reading an article in todays Majorca Daily Bulletin reporting that there has been a significant increase in tourists to PP this winter, my thoughts are that the area could be developed so to attract many more off season tourists.

The weather is still much better than in the UK, albeit not sunbathing weather but this would attract a different type of tourist, the walkers, cyclists etc. Puerto Pollensa isn't like a ghost town in the winter, there are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants open. I feel many more people would come if the airlines did not run such a scant service during the winter months and also hotel accommodation was more freely available, I'm sure deals could be done with the tour operators to offer short break packages, thus enabling them to remain open.

Of course the tourist board would have to do their bit and promote the area with international advertising to encourage off peak visitors. Perhaps this could be done via their new web site. Majorca is only a 2 hour flight from the UK and the delights of the North of the island would make an ideal short break.

Encouraging winter tourism would maintain employment in the tourist sector as well as enabling retail and hotel establishments an income during the winter months.

These are my thoughts - any other comments?

Well done Kevin at JK's for a good report in MDB
Sponsored Links
Old 26-02-2009, 12:55
Super Moderator

Hi Whaley, i agree with you and although we had been told that nothing would be open when we moved here in December, we have had no trouble finding places to eat and drink. It is a glorious day today and my thermometer is reading 19 degrees.
Old 26-02-2009, 22:15

Hi Sparky - I'm so envious.
Old 27-02-2009, 08:29

Default winter

When I first moved here (18 years ago!! lord where do the years go?) Puerto Pollensa was already an established winter holiday destination. Globespan brought hundreds of Scottish pensioners over to stay in mainly the Daina and Pollensa Mar Apartments for three months over the winter, at prices that made it cheaper than payng to heat their homes in the frozen north. It was self-catering so, as a result many more restaurants and bars stayed open to cater for this trade.
I'd love to know why it stopped. Was it because there were no holidaymakers, or did it become more expensive or (my favourite theory) did the hotels which own the apartments decide it wasn't worth their while staying open.
At that time there was always at least one hotel that stayed open all winter, but since most of the hotels got bought up by one group, that too has stopped.
It seems a catch 22 situation. If there's nowhere for people to stay they won't come here, but hotels close when there are not enough people to justify them being open. Vicious circle.
There have been several campaigns to attract winter tourists, some by the government, some local, they just never seem to get their act together to follow through on campaign promises. The government run Winter in Mallorca series of events is terrific, lots of free or cheap concerts and excursions locally.
Having said all that, PP has always been a year-round living breathing town, so there have always been places open to go to. I love the winter time, but I'm ready for the summer now!

Last edited by ann; 27-02-2009 at 08:30. Reason: typo
Old 27-02-2009, 11:31
Super Moderator

Yes i can remember seeing adds for the winter in the Daina apartments.
Even though we have been told this has been the worst winter (weather wise) in memory, we love it. The port has a completely different feel to it, now we are waiting to see how we cope in high summer as we have only ever visited in May and October before.
Old 27-02-2009, 11:33

It seems that it's the big organisations that hold the key to unlocking the future or winter tourism in the North. If they don't (or won't) make it available then I suppose there is nothing that us individuals can do

I didn't realise that there had been winter tourism in the area previously, although I knew that this was the norm in other parts of Spain where retired people escaped the British winter for a 3 month break in the sun.

It's such a shame that these longer breaks could not be reintroduced, it would keep the airlines and hotels going over a normally quiet period.

In the current hard times, the airlines and hotel chains would be able to maintain employment hence helping to sustain the economy, surely it would not be that hard to regenerate the ailing tourist industry.

The way I see it, all it would need is a dedicated advertising campaign to drum up interest - but of course, as you say Ann, we are held to ransom now by the few large organisations that seem to own most of the airlines and hotels.
Old 27-02-2009, 23:57

Our first ever holiday to PP was in oct/nov about 16 years ago, to the Pollenca Mar, and I just loved it ! Yes it was much quieter but there didnt seem to be any prob at all eating out in the evenings.
But in more recent years holidaying at the same time...evening meals have been a bit hit or miss and the resort seems all round quieter. One of the problems is that the restaurants that are open, all have a different closing night. I try to remember to get a biz card from each place we eat in and record which nite they are closed..... and of course this all falls down after about day 4 lol ( then its login here and see if its posted !)
A wee bit more winter tourism would be nice but the way things are rite now, cant see it happening anytime soon.
Im just keeping my fingers crossed for all the independant businesses out there rite now.

Miriam
Old 28-02-2009, 21:09

Wife & I returned on Thursday last after 5 days in PP, spring cleaning apartment & applying a lick of paint. We thought the town looked jaded. Lots of empty shops, few restaurants open lunchtime & evening, combined with not very warm weather. On Thursday morning at 7.30 am the temperature on my south east facing terrace was 0 degrees!! Things may have to improve somewhat if PP is to be considered as an all year round resort in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04

Default PP Winter Destination

What a difference a few days can make !

We were out for a week from 16th to 23rd

Yes it was colder than the same time last year; Yes we needed coats in the evening

But almost every day was bright and sunny and if you found a sheltered spot, it was lovelly and warm ............... daughter managed to lie on balcony reading her book in bikini most afternoons - and you can't do that in the UK in February

We saw a few families on the beach with their fishing nets and buckets and spades, even a few children paddling

I love this time of year in PP .......... everyone is getting ready for the new season , as each day passes you can see places getting closer to being ready to open ( will post separately re what I fund out about opening dates )

Granted - not that many places are actually open

However there are plenty enough to have a great lunch/meal every day ..... Neptuno; C'an Ferra; Trio and Tango; Centric; Stay; La Llonja; Cella Parra; Bar Joker to name a few

Shame about the drains work on the front -but they were cracking on with it at a fair pace so I assume its not too far off complete now

Getting back to topic - I do think if the hotels opened and offered good deals for winter breaks the tourists would come ........... the pensioners go to Palma Nova in the winter for goodness sakes .......... we went one day and ok it has a nice beach and yes none of the drunken louts are there at this time of year - but it's not pleasant; it looks like a ghost town ; the gaudy shops and bars are either boarded up or open but empty; the stuff in the shops is just tourist tat there is nothing "normal" about the place, there is no sign of local life

PP may be quiet in the winter but it is a propper working town , with "life" ...........

I can't believe anyone over the age of 25 ( and most under ) would rather spend a winter break there , than in PP ............... they just go there because that's where hotels are available

The Illa D'Or only closes for a short break , it was certainly open in early Feb and it was really nice wandering round for a coffee .......... the tables were out on the front; there were plenty of people around to say "hola" to as we passed on our walk

I recognise the Illa D'Or is towards the high end of the price bracket ( though not as expensive as some may think ) but I do believe that if the more mid priced accomodation was on offer, people would come

Last edited by its cd; 01-03-2009 at 12:07.