Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Paying by Debit Card (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/4270-paying-debit-card.html)

suemo 05-02-2009 20:30

Paying by Debit Card

Dear All,

I am looking for some advice. We have booked directly with the Flora Apartments this year and they are asking us for a deposit and for our credit/debit card details.

The hubby and I don't have credit cards (a statement which always draws huge gasps from our friends!), my moto is always "if you can't afford it you can't have it"!!!!!

Anyway, my hubby is very nervous about giving out our card details to virtual strangers as he is concerned that the card details could be duplicated. We have checked with our bank and if this happened they said that we wouldn't be covered.

I was just wondering if anyone has every paid by this method directly with a hotel/aparthotel? I am sure that nothing untoward would happen but I just wanted some advice.

Thanks

Suemo x. :)

JH02JLH 05-02-2009 21:10

We rented a private villa a couple of years ago and paid both the deposit and the balance by a bank transfer. The only problem with this is the charges levied by the bank. You can choose to pay the charges or pass them onto the person you are paying.

I understand your anxiety - I wouldn't be happy either. Can you contact the apartments and ask if you can pay by transfer? You could split the charges between the two of you.

CathB 05-02-2009 21:38

we too have paid deposits by bank transfer rather than give credit/debit card details.It does cost a little more but it is worth it for peace of mind..we also find that the bank euro rate on transfers is slightly higher than the high st so it does help to offset the transfer charges a little .

El Gordo 06-02-2009 00:49

Isn't it about time you joined the real world!! Sorry I did not mean to be insulting but the advantages of credit cards far outweigh their disadvantages if you are sensible and always pay off what you borrow each month.

Nationwide have an excellent card (amongst others) that allows you to use it abroad without charging the usual 2.5% commission and gives you the interbank rate which is always better than the high street.

You are also protected from fraud and also if firms go bust as they are jointly liable. They say you have to spend over £100 for this protection, but I have managed to get back £25 when a parking provider went bust a few years ago. Not so paying by most debit cards!

There are also advantages of debit cards especially from Nationwide etc who do not charge for the service and you always get better than the rate offered at the hole in the wall.

Get yourself on Moneyexpert.com and find the best deals.

It will be worth it for peace of mind. I have a Nationwide account, debit card and credit card I use only on holiday. I keep a small amount of money in the account to keep it open and top it up by either cash or bank transfer from my main bank before I come abroad.

Kezza66 06-02-2009 09:39

With regard to credit cards and debit cards we have been using them effectively and safely since they were first invented with no problems but always on the principle of not spending what we don’t have and paying off the credit card before the due date to avoid interest charges.
Like GL we have a Nationwide credit card for use abroad as that seems to us to suit our purposes best.
So far we haven't used a debit card abroad.
We always ask for the bill to be in local currency (we never ask the shop/restaurant etc to convert to sterling ) and the rate of exchange applied by Nationwide is very competitive and there is no conversion charge.
Unlike some cards it can be used worldwide and last year we used it in Barbados.
Like GL we like the reassurance that if the supplier goes bust and the transaction is over £100 the Card provider will refund you but ( touch wood ) have never had to use this feature
With regard to card safety, as I understand it if you are careful when using your card and keep your details private the card provider would be responsible in the event of any loss by fraud.
Martin Lewis who gives financial advice on GMTV has a very useful site about all aspects of Finance etc including a section on Foreign Money and debit and credit cards and a section on Travel – The link to the Foreign Money part of the site ( including advice regarding credit and debit cards ) is Cheap Travel Money: Get the best exchange rates and pick the right plastic...

El Gordo 06-02-2009 11:28

Thanks Kezza for amplifying and correcting my views and the link to Martin's site that I got wrong. It was nearly midnight!!!

I find the Nationwide debit card very economical to draw out local currency to spend and also to top up my Spanish bank with euro cash to avoid charges. The thing you have to remember is when you draw cash you must say NO to the machines offer to charge ££s to your account rather than Euros.

The only problem you might have with credit/debit cards is if your issuer thinks your transactions are out of the ordinary for your normal spending they may stop your card in case its been stolen, so take their phone number with you!. So its advisable to phone them before you go and get them to put it on file that you are in PP for x days.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I should be on my way to PP if the flight is not affected by the weather/knock on from other airports. Cant wait to get my little card in the machine!!!
Happy hols

Kezza66 06-02-2009 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hola its GL (Post 27603)
There are also advantages of debit cards especially from Nationwide etc who do not charge for the service and you always get better than the rate offered at the hole in the wall.

I haven't got a Nationwide debit card as I don't have a Nationwide Bank account but it is something I will look into as the facility to withdraw cash in local currency without charge for the service would be useful.
Buen Viaje!
Keith

BonysLad 06-02-2009 13:23

[QUOTE

I was just wondering if anyone has every paid by this method directly with a hotel/aparthotel? I am sure that nothing untoward would happen but I just wanted some advice.

Thanks

Suemo x. :)[/QUOTE]

Suemo,

I wouldn't worry re this, the people that run the Flora ( like most local service providers ) are very honest folk.

Sure you'll be quite safe.

BonysLad:):)

sunny 06-02-2009 14:57

I have paid deposit for holiday at Panorama Beach Hotel this way, and every thing was fine.

Have also paid deposit by bankers draft for private rent appartments.

Sure everything will be fine, a wouldn't enter card details onto a e mail or on unsecure site but give over phone.

Have great holiday:)

suemo 07-02-2009 12:48

Thank you to those who have given me some helpful tips, and just for those that think I should get into the "real world" and get a credit card - I would just like to say look at the state of the "real world" we are in now, in a recession bought on partly (and only partly) by out of control credit card spending.

Anyway, I contacted the Flora and they gave me their bank details and we have transferred the deposit so all is well.

Thanks again everyone, roll on June !!!!

Suemo x.

Kezza66 07-02-2009 13:26

Hi Suemo,
I am glad your mode of payment has been resolved.:)
I am not an advocate for credit cards – just think they are a useful payment method for the reasons outlined.
I was brought up never to spend what I haven’t got and that principle has stayed with me. I never incur any interest charges.
I use credit cards as a payment facility and for the valuable protection given if the supplier of goods or services goes bust.
I hope you have a lovely holiday.The weather in June should be ideal.
We haven't fixed ours yet for this year.
Regards,
Keith

suemo 08-02-2009 10:55

Hi Keith,

I agree with what your saying with regards to credit cards being good protection if a supplier goes bust, and in these difficult times it seems to be happening more and more. The reason we have booked directly with the Flora was due to the fact that Winter Sunshine holidays went bust. Luckily we had only paid a small deposit and not the full amount, we are still waiting to see if we will get that back.

You mentioned the Nationwide which I have seen a few other members endorse. May look into that option now x.

Sue x.

Kezza66 08-02-2009 13:34

Hi Sue,
I hope you get your deposit back OK.
Just on protection generally ,I had a problem with XL Airways going bust at midnight last September on the day I booked our flights for 4th October but I was covered by ATOL with RBS travel and by credit card also and have only just got the refund.
At that time there was an interesting point highlighted by the Daily Mail in an article they ran when XL in relation to Debit cards which suggested that in the case of XL all might not be lost for some debit card users as they may be covered by a little known chargeback Scheme in the Visa debit card rules according to a spokesman for "Which"
The spokesman said “If you paid by Visa Debit Card you should be able to get your money back by making a chargeback claim to your current account provider. In the case of XL you have 120 days from the date your flight was due to depart to make a claim." Unfortunately this does not apply to Maestro debit cards.
My debit card is a Maestro card and does not have that protection.
I think the Nationwide debit card is a Visa one ( as their credit card is ) so I think I will look at that as an extra option as you need to protect yourself every which way in the present economic climate.
We have been using the Nationwide credit card just for holidays for some time now with no problems.
Regards,
Keith

suemo 09-02-2009 20:15

Hi Keith,
It's interesting you say that about XL. My Mum and her friend had their flights to PP cancelled last September when they went under (my daughter and I luckily had book separately with a different agent). If you went out on the 4th October last year you would have been there at the same time as us, we flew out on the 5th!! My Mum paid £800.00 by credit card and she hasn't got anything back yet. Not sure what credit card she used, I wonder if it takes longer for people to get a refund, dependent upon their credit card provider.

As I have mentioned I am not a credit card expert. My Mum is getting a bit cheesed off with the situation now!

I will have a look into the charge back scheme and see if it can help us.

Regards
Sue x.

Mark1875 09-02-2009 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kezza66 (Post 27609)
I haven't got a Nationwide debit card as I don't have a Nationwide Bank account but it is something I will look into as the facility to withdraw cash in local currency without charge for the service would be useful.
Buen Viaje!
Keith

Keith

Get a Nationwide account, I travel to Europe weekly with my job and the savings on currency exchange with the Nationwide rate really do mount up. There really is no catch.

Mark