Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-2009, 13:29
Founder

Default Has the Credit Crunch/Euro Affected your Holiday Plans?

Dear Forum Members,

you've all gone very quiet - please do come back! I'm hoping this isn't indicative of your general feelings about holidaying in Mallorca this year.

It would be interesting to know whether the current financial situation is affecting your holiday plans this year.

From what we can see, there is a lot of 'looking' this month but actual bookings are definitely down. It has started picking up this week.

So are you booking later than usual? Have you changed the type of holiday you'll book? Will you spend less? Eat Out less?

Or have you decided to go elsewhere or stay at home this year?

Do let us know & please do start posting again...
Sponsored Links
Old 22-01-2009, 14:07

Smile

Hi

No change for us will be in PP in july for 2 weeks. Why should the exchange rate affect it if you stay at home then you pay nearly the same for drinks and meals and it could rain for 2 weeks. Yes we will take more to spend but we all work hard so 2 weeks out and spend time with the family priceless
Old 22-01-2009, 14:24

Thumbs up

We will still pop out for a long weekend a couple of times, and maybe a week in the summer. We have now realised that we can eat and save money by choosing the menu del dia which is usually more than adequate and the wine has always been good (famous last words probably).

It has definately made us think more carefully about what we do actually spend, but we still feel that we need a break away now and again, and to be fair, PP can still be good value for money and the anti stress factor is priceless!
Old 22-01-2009, 15:13

Well we booked an apartment and flights last July and I'm certainly not going to give up my two weeks in PP although I may make some economies by choosing different restaurants, maybe not order a bottle of wine with the meal etc. We may just eat out twice a week for dinner instead of three. We will just have to wait and see what the Euro situation is nearer to the time.We will probably have to miss a second foreign trip this year and take a UK break in the autumn.

For the last two years we have rented an apartment on the Pine Walk near the Illa D'Or and the pleasure I get from looking out over the port from the second floor terrace far outweighs the credit crunch doom and gloom.

I have always looked on a holiday as a necessity, well you have to recharge your batteries somehow.

Roll on June the 6th
Old 22-01-2009, 15:20

I booked my usual two weeks in July as soon as I came back last year - mainly to get the best flights as soon as they came out. My flights have since increased substantially in price, but could of course be reduced nearer the time. I'm happy with what I paid. I also booked my accommodation for July 09 in August 08. I keep saying that if I hadn't already booked I probably would have cut down to one week this year, given the credit crunch/euro situation, but wouldn't like to give up my family holiday completely.

This year we certainly plan to eat out less and to shop around for good value menu del dia. We will definitely have to try to make our money go further once we are there as we are unlikely to be in a position to bring any more than usual. However, for me part of the joy of a holiday in PP is the looking forward and we all can't wait.

LK
Old 22-01-2009, 16:17

We are booked for a week in May and a possible two in October.........IF the situation allows !
Like others, we shall be eating out but looking for better value if possible. One big chance however is that the planned purchase of a property is now, unfortunately, on the back boiler.
Old 22-01-2009, 16:38

Booked up last year for a week coming out on 30th May, as we had already booked our 2 week hols for Portugal in September. We'll be hoping that the places we visited last year like Brisa Marina, Trios and the like are still offering their excellent menu of the day, we are self catering and eat out each night and really look forward to it as well as our pre-dinner drinks, El Cafe here we come again!!! Still looking forward to it even though the euro is down
Old 22-01-2009, 16:57

Going to Florida in May, were just going to have one holiday but kids too upset not going to Pollensa! Have booked appartment for October just waiting for Easyjet to release winter flights.

When you look at how much it would cost to go away for week in UK, plus costs of eating out Pollensa still works out cheaper.

We will still eat out but probably have couple of glasses of wine in appartment before going out to save some cash. Will miss going in summer tho
Old 22-01-2009, 17:01

We are doing our PP holiday differently this year for 2 reasons. The terrible teenagers don't want to come away with us so we are coming on our own for four nights in mid May, this let us get cheap flights and cheap accomodation. We will see if home is still standing on our return and if it is OK we will try and do the same in September. That said September will depend if we still have jobs then. We have been thinking of buying in Mallorca for a few years now and I do like browsing and seeking out Se Vende notices but the credit crunch has put paid to that for now Eating out is reasonable if we stick to MDD but we tended to head home for a drink or three after eating last August when we would have stayed out in previous years.
Old 22-01-2009, 17:30

Smile the euro

We booked last year for our month in P.P. but sadly we only paid the deposit. Having agreed a price while we were in The Port we paid in Euros,wish now we had paid in full. Still the "crunch " is not going to spoil one single hour of our break and we shall as always lose ourselves once again in the beauty and calm of P.P. Yes maybe as we are there for a month we wont' eat out as many times as normal, but with all the fresh food avaliable in the market, self catering becomes fun.
Roll on June let get there and enjoy.
Slipalong & Lola.
Old 22-01-2009, 17:38

Default Holiday plans 2009

Rule no.1: Money is no good to you if you don't spend it!

We're coming out next week to celebrate our double birthday, always have always will! Have booked 3 weeks in June, i know we all worry about times like these, but it should be remembered that the prices i'm paying for flights this year are far cheaper than 10/15 years ago, when i was earning a lot less.

I will continue to eat out most nights, last year 122 to the pound, this year (at the moment) 107 to the pound, not a drastic change, is it?

According to The Sunday Times, last week, it was reckoned places like Turkey/Egypt are no better value than the Euro Zone, they have simply increased their prices dramaticaly to take advantage of the Euro's problems.

It is also likely the Euro Zone will have to cut their interest rates shortly which in turn should make sterling more attractive and as a result the R/E should improve.

As far as cutting back i find it much easier to do this at home, so, that's what i'll do.

Last edited by Smiddy; 22-01-2009 at 17:41.
Old 22-01-2009, 17:47
Super Moderator

Seriously guys, we moved here in early December and i am not going to lie to you. The exchange rate has made it more expensive but you still get a lot more for your money here than back in the UK. I have started to post some prices on the "Tapas Bar" ( do join, we are a friendly bunch) , when more places open up i will post info on here so you can select where to go, according to your budget.
Old 22-01-2009, 18:45

We actually booked earlier for this year than normal, which gave me a better choice of apartments. We have booked an apartment in Pinaret this year, which was recommended by another forum member and I saved about 500 euros over other apartments I have stayed in. My flights are about £120 per couple cheaper this year and I have 2 of my children coming out with their partners over 2 separate weeks, so I guess I'm quids in. The car hire seems more expensive. It may be more expensive to eat and drink out this year but we sussed out some more realistically priced bars and shunned those that rip off tourists especially when I found out from an ex pat that he gets 30% discount at one of these bars. There are always plenty of good restaurants that are far cheaper than back at home.

As somebody else said it could rain back here for 2 weeks.

Anyway lifes too short to worry about the cost of holidays and being in the building game things "ain't" good, so it's PP here we come. Roll on August.

Timberman
Old 22-01-2009, 21:28

I booked my holiday as soon as i got back last year. I will still be eating out at night but will probably stop having snacks and drinks during the day. I have a busy life so i look forward to my holidays, that would be the last thing to go.
Old 22-01-2009, 21:53

we booked the July appartment (2 weeks) as soon as we came back last year (paid the deposit when we were out in October and we too wish we had paid in full but never mind).and booked the flights as soon as Easy jet released them in November - we have also booked 1 week end of april and another in October (....so in fact we are now spending more time in PP than we used too )...I would rather spend my well earned holidays there and if I have to cut back a little on eating out or that extra drink then so be it

Now how many sleeps is it til end of April

Last edited by CathB; 22-01-2009 at 21:53. Reason: typo