Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Political Action in Puerto Pollensa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/4110-political-action-puerto-pollensa.html)

pollensa 20-11-2008 14:12

Political Action in Puerto Pollensa

Some of you may already be aware of a blog written by Andrew Ede who is also involved in the publication of El Puente and other advertising magazines.

There was a very interesting article on Weds - see alcudiapollensa: One Voice about the Gotmar Residents Association and their atttempts to get issues resolved in Gotmar but also touches on consultations regarding the pedestrianisation, street cleaning etc.

In particular they are referring to an EU law "which establishes the obligation on behalf of local authorities to consult with their constituents in respect of matters affecting the local environment."

Anyway do read the article and watch his blog, it can be very interesting!

Lillianna 20-11-2008 20:36

Thanks for that link. What a well written, and most interesting article that was! I shall definitely be reading more of his blogs.

PeRu 21-11-2008 00:30

Many thanks for the link Pollensa.
As Lilliana says, a very interesting read.

PeRu

Sparky 21-11-2008 00:43

Yes very interesting indeed, i know Gary and he cares passionately about what is happening in Gotmar. It is good to hear that the residents are flexing their muscles and making the politicians sit up and take notice. Good Luck to them.

ann 21-11-2008 10:21

political action

If you are interested in the political moves mentioned you may also be interested in a letter written by Hans Monheim which has been published in the Spanish press here. Hans produced a large glossyl book of photos of the area two or three years ago which celebrated the beauty of the area around Pollensa and the port. His letter is a scathing comment on the current council and what they are doing (or not doing) to spoil that beauty including the chaos of the pedestrianisation project, lack of street cleaning, unemptied rubbish bins which are filthier than their contents, the unopened swimming pool, public areas filled with council rubbish etc etc. There is a copy of the letter (in Spanish) up in my Talk of the North office window for anyone living locally who missed it. I also have on my computer a load of photos Hans took to back up his arguments.
I have been gearing up to do a big "Sin Verguenza" (shameless) piece on the council in Talk of the North, but the last time I did such a piece (several years ago when I worked for the Daily Bull and the port had been left in a mess) I got hauled over the coals for ruining tourism in the area! I was trying to save it, (and a new council got in and really improved things at the next election) but I don't want to be blamed for what has been a poor season this year, so at the moment I am content with backing Garry and his Gotmar group in any way I can.
There are several Mallorquin groups and individuals also expressing their concern over council incompetence.
Watch this space

Belladonna 21-11-2008 13:47

Interesting point Ann. Its always the ones who put their heads up that get shot down isnt it? Another saying; you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs!! As you say, by bringing up problems surely you are, in the long run, making the area better by calling for improvements. Good for you. It doesnt make sense for the council to be complacement and ignore what is wrong without being seen to act upon it, and its only the people who are there all the time that can actually push things along. Perhaps if there is a petition to sign in your shop for those of us who do care but are only there sporadically, it would show that there is even more concern.

Sparky 21-11-2008 13:56

Bella, you have come up with a good idea there. Do you think it would be possible to set up an on-line petition that we could all sign, to show our support for Gary and the Residents Association. Pollensa and Ann what do you think?.:)

ann 21-11-2008 16:05

political action

Sounds a good idea. Garry has just set up the Gotmar association's website, maybe that would be the best place for such a petition. His website is Gotmarvecinos’s Blog but it is still in its infancy!

Pollpott 22-11-2008 23:54

Well said, Belladonna,
I, like a lot of other people on this forum, only visit PP once or twice a year but I still have a strong and passionate feeling for the place. If there is anything I can do to help improve the area I would be glad to help - signing petitions etc...
Obviously the people who live there have got more of an idea about what's going on with the local council but I am sure all visitors would be willing to help in any way they can to keep PP as beautiful as possible.
It seems to me as if the council aren't too bothered about the declining standards of Pollensa. If that is the case, then what is it they are bothered about?
Just another thought - in a lot of places, in many countries, where the main income is tourism the locals seem to have a love/hate relationship with tourists. The visitors flock in every summer, clogging-up the roads, using the water and electricity, taking over the place. And then in a flash they're all gone and it's the locals who have to struggle through the winter months, leaving the place almost deserted and with mass unemployment.
Is that how the locals see it? Are us tourists just a necessary nuisance? I'd hate to think it was like that. Do the tourists also buy up all the available property leaving the locals unable to buy affordable places to live?
I'd be very interested in what the locals think of us transient tourists.

ann 23-11-2008 15:00

politics

Unlike in many holiday resorts, I don't think local residents in Puerto Pollensa resent tourists or visitors at all. It was one of the main things that first attracted me and many others to the town -- the lack of any ill-feeling. Certainly in the 18 years I have lived here I have never come across a single instance of resentment. People here recognise the value of tourism, everyone who lives and works here relies in one way or another on tourism for their livelihood. People look forward to the end of the season as they then have more time to spend with their families, but they also look forward to the start of the season and the promise of renewed income.

But there has always been the feeling in the port that the people of the port earn all the money in the area and that the local council spends it on Pollensa town. Some years this has definitely been true, other years not. We seem to be going through a "lets spend it on Pollensa" phase at the moment or, more accurately, "lets not spend it on the port", possibly because there is no money left to spend (don't know where it's gone, not the bypass because that's a government funded project, not the swimming pool because it's closed, not the old people's home because no work has been done on that for ages, not the street cleaning because there are still only two guys wandering around with a noisy sweeper/blower and anything that can't be blown off the pavement, eg dog poo, stays put -- I could go on)

Anyway, sorry about the tirade I got carried away, but to answer your question pollpott. There is no resentment against tourists as a body, they are welcomed by the people and businesses. Obviously the odd individual causing a disturbance may elicit temporary anger, but even drunken singing late at night is more or less tolerated as part of the package. Puerto Pollensa is still the same friendly relaxed place it always has been, and all are welcome to share the beauty and the atmosphere

Gommar Goffer 23-11-2008 17:42

Ann - I wish someone would tell the Mallorcan individual who lives in Gomar and swears and hurls abuse at tourists, that he is supposed to like us!!!

JMD40 23-11-2008 19:33

Ann, I personally really think we should ALL have refused to pay our council taxes - which have increased by so much this year - and hit the streets in a silent demonstration during this month. I am refusing to pay mine until the very final day. As you know the council has apparently NO MONEY and that is why we are in this awfal mess - and it is no joke as here in the Port it really is unbelievable the lack of cleaning and upkeep of everyday basic requirements. Not to mention the pool, La Gola humid park, that lovely building infront of the park, the dog poo, etc.etc. I, like you, fight my corner at every opportunity, you may have seen my letter in the Punt Informatiu and the Diario de Mallorca during the summer - but of course we have to smile and pretend all is well face to face to the tourist. The Mallorcan, Spanish, Ex pats and tourists all feell badly let down by the council and none of us no the way forward - the Spanish prefer to complain amongst themselves but never speak out loud infront of others. Perhaps we need another group which is not so linked with Gotmar - the situation affects us all.
Hans has a large advert yet again in the Pollensa bi-monthly that simply says SR. MAYOR, A LITTLE CLEANING IN THE PORT WOULD BE VERY WELCOME!! and so say all of us!! I AM WITH YOU WITH ANY IDEAS.