Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Is it just me (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/4087-just-me.html)

scotty 10-11-2008 17:49

Is it just me

Hi

I know from reading the posts on here that some of you like to vsist in the colder months but I always think of PP as a sunny destination place. Is it not a bit forlorn and sad with most of the restaurants closed ?

I should add that I am writing this from a very wet windy and freezing cold Glasgow . So I suppose I should say that PP would be better that this but still .......

Scotty Lady

debz1 10-11-2008 18:49

Hi Scotty Lady

We left PP this morning at 9am to catch a flight back to a wind lashed, rainy, bleak UK. The sky was clear blue, it was warm and the sea looked like glass. The only people on the front were the odd jogger and dog walker :)

PP is very different and diverse in the winter months. Yesterday we were at La Fira in Pollensa..which is like the market on Sunday only 6 times as big! The tourists were all wearing shorts and tee shirts...the locals boots and jumpers (as soon as it's November they don their winter gear regardless of the weather!!) We sat outside and had a fantastic lunch at C'an Costa.

Two weeks ago the weather was wet, stormy and blowing a hurricane...but you don't really care when you're in a cosy little restaurant with a nice rioja ;)

The beaches are often deserted, although we did spot an old boy having a swim a couple of days ago :eek: I love to walk along Formentor beach,then sit with a picnic and a flask of coffee gazing at the views.

Eating out in the winter months is fantastic. The restaurants that stay open are the local ones...the good ones! The atmosphere is relaxed as the waiters aren't rushed off their feet.

I would definitely recommend a long weekend in the winter. The weather can be a bit hit or miss, but often it's warm and sunny..... and just being in PP is guaranteed to give you a boost :)

Debs

Sharonh 10-11-2008 21:24

Debz

I agree with you - I love PP in the winter. Last year we went out on 27th December and stayed until after New Year. You find you eat in places that you wouldn't go to at other times of the year - some good, some bad. I also think that you really see the true character of the place.

Can't wait until this Christmas to head out again.

Sharon:)

med777 10-11-2008 23:07

Hiya Scotty Lady,

I have sat in the pouring rain for 2 weeks solid, mid summer in PP and that was far more depressing !

I really enjoy the island at this time of year, it has a lovely calm, chilled feel about the place. Yes it is quiet and going out for dinner can be a bit of an adventure... which restaurant is open on which nite ! and its not the first time we have got it so wrong and ended up back home raiding the fridge to see what we could put together !
Oct/Nov has many autumn fairs and they are so interesting. And it is also a time to do all the other things on the island that you haven't got round to cos it was too hot or u wanted to just take the rays !

And I have been checking on the temperature now... and its sure as hell a lot warmer than here ! lol ( hope it stays that way, we arrive Wed )
I live just south of u, Fenwick moor, it's blowing a hooligan rite now, and all I can say is roll on wednesday ! lol

Miriam

scotty 11-11-2008 09:12

Thanks for your comments the way you have all described PP in autumn /winter makes it sounds so much more inviting thast I had imagined .I might just be tempted now .

Cheers

Scotty Lady

Gommar Goffer 11-11-2008 12:51

Hi Scotty Lady

I agreee with Miriam - this time of year is great for getting out and about. Doing the wals that it is too hot for in the summer. Visit Palma when it is quiet. Go to Cala and watch the waves when it is stormy! Or walking along desserted beaches.

And thern out to eat in a cosy restaurant - with a fire preferably.

You experience totally different aspects to the island.

Belladonna 11-11-2008 17:12

I agree with all the above and will just add that its also a great time to photograph the sites that are not filled with tourists! And if the weather is rough - all the better!!:eek:

pollensa 11-11-2008 18:15

Quite agree. Have literally just got back - Yes we were at the fair too on Sunday & the weather was lovely.

At this time of year there are definitely enough restaurants open to eat out every night or lunchtime if you want to - & many do a Menu del Dia which they don't do in the Summer. We also walked along Formentor beach on Saturday morning (it looked as if the cafe was preparing to do lunch) and drove to LLuc on Sunday afternoon. At Lluc & on the way all the 'recreation areas' were packed with people taking picnics and using the freely available barbecues.

Out of season flights are cheaper as is car hire. If you're looking for self-catering then these are also available at cheap rates & then you can take advantage of the much cheaper produce in the supermarket & market & have a go at cooking - we do this occasionality at this time of year but it's difficult to beat the MDD at 10 Eur including 3 courses, wine, bread etc.!

Give it a go - it really is worth it!:D

gers1873 11-11-2008 22:13

only ever been in the winter months once (early march)

weather was totally miserable, blowing a gale and cold rain all week

perhaps we were unlucky but wont go at that time of year again

wifes parents spent xmas in pp one year and had the afternoon on the beach in 18 deg on a beautifull calm day so you never can tell for sure

we prefer early summer or autumn ourselves

suemo 12-11-2008 12:34

PP - Winter Months

After previously reading wonderful reports about PP in the Winter, we did consider a long weekend in maybe November or December however when I tried to book all was fine with flights, but I struggled to find any accommodation available during those months.

Could any winter regulars tell me where they stay?

Thanks

Suemo x.

pollensa 12-11-2008 14:28

Hi Suemo,

I think you may find it difficult to find hotel accommodation during the winter but do try searching with Alpharooms or contacting some of the smaller independant hotels directly - see Hotels, Apartments - Puerto Pollensa

However I am sure that you will be able to rent an apartment in the low season for a good rate & owners are normally flexible on changeover days at this time as well.

See the standard search on Rent Villas & Apartments in Puerto Pollensa and also Last Minute Deals for the next 8 weeks - Late Deals in Puerto Pollensa - there appears to be plenty available.

Good Luck!

romanb 12-11-2008 20:57

We have booked a week in December with Individual Travellers, they also do long weekends. Heating was extra but the villa was reasonably priced.

spudbag 19-11-2008 09:57

I can only endorse those comments reflecting the tranquility of pp out of season. We had a long weekend in March a few years ago and enjoyed the unspoilt, clean, fresh appearance of the town at that time of year.

While other resorts look utterly abandoned in the winter, pp looks like it is gently resting and recharging its batteries.

But then, maybe I'm a bit biased......like the majority of you!