Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 23:11

Yes it was called the Bec Fi restaurant before it became the Corb Mari.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43

Thanks Lorenzo - old age setting in and the memory has gone

Probably still have a card for Bec Fi on the notice board in our Apt.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:54

Like CD we visited on a day trip from Cala Bona that was 1978 we then holiday most years till kids grew up had 8 year break around 1990s but now back to our once a year visit roll on March 2011 wasting my time away.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40

Thank you beadnut. These are fantastic. I really enjoyed looking at them.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:45

We are mere newcomers compared to a lot of people on the forum. Our first visit was roundabout 1988 when we took a bus ride from Alcudia where we were staying. I remember walking along the Pine walk and that it just narrowed to a small path with lots more pine trees than there are today.

Liking what we had seen we visited quite regularly after that but only for short trips, as we always stayed in Alcudia (never seemed to be able to find packages to PP). In more recent times we still holidayed in Alcudia but spent most of our time in PP so it made sense to try to find somewhere to stay in PP.

The first place we stayed was Villa Concha, followed by Playa Mar and whilst on holiday in October 2007 we just happened to find ourselves in an estate agents shop and the rest is history, needless to say we will not be holidaying in Alcudia anymore!

Thanks Beadnut for posting all your photos to flikr, it is a wonderful trip back in time, although many of them I could not place. It would be good if those that can, could place comments beneath the photo of the possible locations etc.
Old 10-08-2010, 13:55

beadnut - I have posted some comments on Flickr - hope they are right!!
Old 11-08-2010, 20:21

Default Holiday 2010

Great Pictures! will have to see what we've got hidden away.

As a family we have been visiting PP for 29 years. We have a particular affinity for the Hotel Daina where many of the same friendly and welcoming staff are still in post, notably Louis the head waiter. (Still referred to by the kids as ‘Uncle Louis’ even though they are now 20 and 23!)

Over the years our choice of accommodation in the resort has varied to meet the changing needs of our party. Given that the eldest are now 79 and 83 they now appreciate the home comforts of a front line apartment.

This years visit saw us in the roof top penthouse rooms at the Daina for 3 nights before moving to our beachside apartment. Views of the resort from floor 6 at the Daina are spectacular . The buffet style meal there we find excellent . This year they have introduced a ‘speciality’ table from which we have enjoyed suckling pig, tumbet, and squid

Having moved to our apartment and being joined by our son, we had a couple of visits to Brisa Marina where an enthusiastic welcome from the two Francisco’s awaited. Again excellent value for money and now home to one of Mom’s cross stitch pictures of fishes (hanging by the bar).

A visit to Celler La Parra on August 1st found the two brothers there Jaime and Alex sporting extra facial hair ready for their roles La Patrona (re-enactment of the battle between the Moors and Christians) at Pollensa on 2nd August which they explained to us. The wooden swords used were also shown, it’s a wonder no one gets killed for real! However, the John Dory fish were huge. Mom was happy with a couple of fried eggs Mallorcan style and we all rounded off with the Almond cake and Ice cream

After 29 years of looking at Puig de Maria, this year we finally made the assent! An over night thunder storm cooled things down and lingering dawn clouds made it the ideal time to visit the monastery and its refectory for breakfast at the summit. Maybe we were just ready for a good drink after the climb but it seemed like the best cup of coffee we had for the whole of the holiday. Croissants hadn’t arrived yet (that’s how early we were) so more huge portions of Almond cake were substituted instead and dare I say even better than Celler La Parra!

Suitably refreshed, we took time to take in the tranquillity of the place and the spectacular views of the Formentor peninsular and the Port, Tramuntana Mountains and Pollensa far below looking like a satellite mapping image from the internet. Eventually we made a leisurely descent from the peak and made our way to Pollensa to browse some of the beautiful shops there. It is so pleasant to meander around in the cool of the narrow streets in the peace and quite of a non market day, ending up in Placa Major for a large tapas lunch and San Miguel before taking the bus back to the port.

This year we were rather dubious about the water quality in the bay. Maybe it was just our patch but it was not the usual crystal clear turquoise that we are used to and looked very cloudy at times. The sea bed sand it seems had been washed away during the winter thus exposing the sharp rocks of the bay. The jelly fish were also present as some bathers were stung . Needless to say there were no early morning swims to feed the fish this year. Has anyone else found this to be a problem this year? For some quality swimming we visited Cala San Vicente and Formentor instead, which we had not done for quite a number of years and in fact we enjoyed the change.

The growth in size of PP that we have witnessed over the years that we have been visiting is phenomenal as is the influx of visitors to the resort following the construction of the motorway to the north of the Island. Just how much longer it can retain its charm I begin to wonder with the likes of ‘Souvenirs from Nepal’, Burger King and the Sports Bars appearing along the front line.

For the time being however, it continues to cast its magical spell and I expect we shall be on the beach again next year surrounded by the many folks and friends that we have got to know who also visit at the same time and sit in the same place year on year!
Old 14-08-2010, 08:48

Wonderful memories,I have been going off and on to PP to 35 years, first as a child with my family, don't remember much just that it was a beautiful place and I got heat stroke on a trip to Soller,I then returned later with my family who all fell in love with the place, we'd love to buy somewhere and look every time we visit, it will happen one day, the dream helps in the dark cold winter nights.We're already looking for an apartment for next year as our daughter is now old enough not to need clubs. PP as said is a truely magical place, even after many years and changes.
Old 14-08-2010, 13:40

Great pictures Beadnut, they bring back a few memories!

I first moved to PP 43 yrs ago with my Mother as a 5 yr old and although I now live back in the UK myself and my wife have always come home to PP at least twice a year with the kids (back in Sept ) and our daughter is taking our granddaughter for the first time this year so she will be the the 4th generation to be "coming home"!
Old 14-08-2010, 18:04

My first visit was as a 10 year old to the Hotel Panoramic in Old Alciudia, which still stands to this day as I discovered only last year. That was 35 years ago!!

I flirted with Port De Soller for many years as a a young man, and again when my kids were little, but returned to PP regularly and have been to PP eight times since 2000 ( I think?). I have to say, its one of only a few places in the world, where I arrive and immediately feel relaxed.

Last edited by Mark1875; 14-08-2010 at 18:07.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:00

Gosh what lovely feedback from you all on my little ol' family pictures. Little did granny and grandpa know how their photos would spread!

What else can I share with you? Well as a kid, most afternoons - after the enforced siesta when all the shops closed (bliss!) - we would walk into the village for icecream at the Brisas, Iru or Cactus bar which always intrigued me as they sort of merged together, but you could tell where one ended and the next began as the chairs changed! There was an old guy on a push bike with a big refridgerated cart at the front who would go along the beach front shouting "Helado!" at the top of his voice.

A local fisherman took us in his boat called "Byp" across to Cala caletes for a swim and a picnic, and then introduced us to the delights of eating raw spiny sea urchins. In the 1960s this was like a local secret in that there were no organised tours etc, so it was an eye opener to go back to Cala Caletes in summer 2010 and find it mobbed by pleasure craft and jet skis.

As a 6 year old I remember the regular visits we made walking up a quiet valley in the heat to Castell del Rei - a ruined mysterious castle built for (I think) Jaime Primero.

My dad was daft on bird watching, so he would get very excited when he spotted an Eleonora falcon circling above in the thermals. His favourite bird spotting treks would be up the Boquer valley, to the salt flats near Alcudia (all drained now perhaps?) and a long days outing to the lighthouse at Cabo salinas on the southernmost tip of the island. At night we would listen to Poop's owl calling as we enjoyed the cool of the evening, and having had a proper afternoon siesta, us kids were fresh as daisies and would play ping pong, card games, charades and read old copies of the Reader's Digest.

Our parents took us to the Roman ruins in Alcudia, the old Roman bridge in Pollensa and showed us the prehistoric talaiots at Ses Païsses. I guess dad just found out about these places by asking at the hotel and our lovely, ever-smiling guide who drove the hotel minibus. Us three kids just soaked it all up without a thought. Oh the joys of no Nintedos!

We became friends with Miguel Pericas who later became mayor of Pollensa or the Puerto, and went out to his father Lorenzo's finca one afternoon before the plain between the puerto and Pollensa became built up with holiday villas. I remember eating ripe figs off the trees. The straight "back" road to Pollensa that runs from Llenaire restaurant was an unsurfaced dust-bowl of a track and when we heard a tinkling sound we couldn't place what it was, thinking it might be running water, but as we passed a hedge, we found a flock of sheep rust-red from the soil and it was their sheep bells that we had heard in the distance! The roadside was ablaze with delicate blood red poppies.

OK - enough of me waxing lyrical about the 1960s and the lack of folk!

Oh one last thing to share - I was brought up with the story that in order to develop Mallorca for tourism, Franco divided up a map of Mallorca and designated different areas to different tour operators. Puerto Pollensa and Alcudia were "given" to a Glaswegian travel agent called Llewellyn Davies, and that is why so many Scottish families go there, and why you will find predominantly other nationalities (German and French for example) in other areas of the island. I just wondered if anyone else was aware of that?

Shutting up now.....
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27

Oh please dont! Such amazing memories - I cant even remember back to the 80's in Majorca that well. Brings back trips we did with our children.
Thank you - and more please!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28

No need to shut up breadnut, its great to hear your stories of what it was like, we have all seen early b&w pics before mass tourism so its great to hear what it was like as well. Thats interesting about Franco giving the areas away, I always wondered why one resort can be German right next to a British one.
Thanks for posting.

On island time!!
Old 07-03-2011, 14:47

Beadnut - The 'old guy' with the push bike/refrigerated cart shouting "Helados" was most likely "Senor Vall" - his cart was like the old Walls Ice Cream 'stop me and buy one' here in England back in the 60's/80's. (might even have been his father in the 1960's).
Senor Vall used to ride up the Pine Walk and back several times a day calling "Helados" and all the children - and many parents - would come running for their ice creams. During my early hol's in P.P. I'm sure his bike (trike) was motorised. (I don't go back as far as you!).
I believe he is still on the go... his family still have the ice cream stall at the start of the sea front (some say start of the Pine Walk) at the Marina End.
The ice creams are excellent by the way.
Really enjoyed your interesting post... many thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador2009 View Post
Beadnut - The 'old guy' with the push bike/refrigerated cart shouting "Helados" was most likely "Senor Vall" - his cart was like the old Walls Ice Cream 'stop me and buy one' here in England back in the 60's/80's. (might even have been his father in the 1960's).
Senor Vall used to ride up the Pine Walk and back several times a day calling "Helados" and all the children - and many parents - would come running for their ice creams. During my early hol's in P.P. I'm sure his bike (trike) was motorised. (I don't go back as far as you!).
I believe he is still on the go... his family still have the ice cream stall at the start of the sea front (some say start of the Pine Walk) at the Marina End.
The ice creams are excellent by the way.
Really enjoyed your interesting post... many thanks.
Sadly he retired a number of years ago but the family still run the kiosk by the roundabout I remember when he changed from his push bike to his motorised one he loved it. The Family have a villa on the Pine walk which they rent out part of it in the summer