Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2008, 08:40

Default new road - puerto pollensa to alcudia bypass - & pedestrianisation

Hi Folks, Tell me if i'm missing the point, but what use is it having spent god knows how much on the new road if you leave it up to the motorist as to whether he uses it or not. If you are coming along the coast road and you want to go to the port why would you go all the way around when you can just go sraight across.If the powers to be do not close the main road along the front then they will have wasted time and money on a white elephant, and there is no reason why the front rd can not be closed off as all of the front is serviceable from the small side roads.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-08-2008, 09:40
Founder

Welcome to the forum.

As I understand it they are now trialling the closure of the coast road between 9am and 10 pm from this week. See Ultima Hora Digital - in Spanish. I think it may have been in English in the printed version of the MDB. Has any residents seen this in place?
Old 27-08-2008, 09:46

Mayor had postponed this trial due to local action groups protests.
Main issue is where the beachgoers would have to park to access beach..if there is not a workable alternative that guarantees no lost tourist revenues they are unlikely to go ahead with closing the road (particularly given the recent squeeze on tourist bucks)
Old 27-08-2008, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
Main issue is where the beachgoers would have to park to access beach..
When we drove to the beach last week we found it very difficult to park - the spaces on the sides of the road were packed with cars, so this is a very good point...where would you be able to park? The marina car-park is always full and the car-parks behind the square in the town are a good walk away - not pleasant on a very hot day lugging beach bags, etc.

I'll be watching this topic with interest!
Old 27-08-2008, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
there is no reason why the front rd can not be closed off as all of the front is serviceable from the small side roads.
Having an apartment on C/Virgen del Carmen which is 1 street back from the front, I can confirm that this road could not take any more traffic, it is already one way with parked cars on either side. If any deliveries are made this stops the whole road as nobody can get past.

They could make it a no parking zone but then you would be exaggerating the parking situation.
Old 27-08-2008, 12:14

It soulds like the problem appears to be restricting through traffic on the front whilst maintaining access for servicing, parking, etc.

If so, the solution could be to block access to the front from the roundabout where the new road joins, and perhaps put in some other barriers to through traffic along its length. Access would therefore be maintained via the new link roads at Llenaire and Gotmar. This could satisfy most parties as to access and servicing.

The arguement about restricted car parking on the front affecting tourist-related business revenues is, I feel, a red herring. If people drive to the beach and park adjacent to it they are just as likely to drive away to their homes at the end of their day, spending little in the resort. If they want to look at the shops and restaurants it is more essential to have car parking in the town centre than at the beach. Perhaps some
thought could be given as to where to put a multi-story car park - the old school perhaps?

With regard to parking, a longer term solution - and one which would improve the ambience of the front, - could be to build car parks at points on the by-pass and run a circular tram / bus service along the front and the by-pass.

allanglens
Old 27-08-2008, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
Mayor had postponed this trial due to local action groups protests.
Main issue is where the beachgoers would have to park to access beach..if there is not a workable alternative that guarantees no lost tourist revenues they are unlikely to go ahead with closing the road (particularly given the recent squeeze on tourist bucks)
Brings me back to my original point. What was the point in building it?.
Old 27-08-2008, 14:10

I understood that the bypass was to take bigger vehicles off the front such as coaches. The majority of the larger hotels/aparthotels are at the back so coaches can get to them from the bypass. Also, the coaches going to Formentor can use this road too.

I am assuming that the main point of the road is to take vehicles that are not going to stop in the centre - going to the beach, restaurants, etc..

Having gone to PP for many years, I would always prefer to travel along the coast road as it is a wonderful bay to look at - obviously I am not driving!!

The one concern that we have is whether they start building either side of the bypass - seems like a whole new area that planners can ruin and fill with Dakota Tex Mex's and faux Irish bars... Sorry going off topic there.
Old 27-08-2008, 14:20

I thought about the infill along the road as well as I drove along it cocoa, it looks like they are already clearing some of the land, I assume they would like to keep any development to the sea side of the road as it were and use the road as a natural boundary, but who knows what they will be allowed to do.
Old 27-08-2008, 20:25

Wink

I agree with Allanglens if they do nothing, then nothing will result from the huge expenditure. The whole point of a well planned resort is to try to get people out of their cars. The noise from the road must surely affect trade to some extent for those businesses right on the front. The whole point of a trial is to do just that! See what the effect is and make a judgement. If they blocked the road at the Lennaire end (possibly using one of the Tex Mex's from the town centre) then those who absolutely need a car can still access parking.
Old 31-08-2008, 17:17

Default new road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansclan View Post
I agree with Allanglens if they do nothing, then nothing will result from the huge expenditure. The whole point of a well planned resort is to try to get people out of their cars. The noise from the road must surely affect trade to some extent for those businesses right on the front. The whole point of a trial is to do just that! See what the effect is and make a judgement. If they blocked the road at the Lennaire end (possibly using one of the Tex Mex's from the town centre) then those who absolutely need a car can still access parking.
We seem to have gone full circle with you making the point i started with. If they dont force people to use the road then they have thrown all that money down the drain. I for one can't wait for the day no more traffic runs along the main drag in to the port. I have said for years it's the only fly in the ointment. I don't know if any body is familiar with arenal down the south but they did the same thing there and closed the entire front rd,and it was a lot longer than the one through pollensa.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16

Question

As a new poster who does not know the area, can I ask if this is the road on which the Club Del Sol is positioned? Having read reviews, I am under the impression that closure of this road would actually help residents of Club Del Sol in safely walking into Puerto Pollensa. (I fully understand that the people staying here would only be a small fraction of those staying in the area, but that is where we have booked to stay)
Old 13-09-2008, 10:22

For me that is the problem pollensafan - do we want to see the port become another Arenal/Palma Nova? Surely the hustle and bustle of traffic moving around is part of the character of a busy port. I for one was sad when they pedestrianised the front in the center - that really took alot of character away.
Old 13-09-2008, 10:41
Super Moderator

Hello Kkireland, i don't think the road closure will have any effect on Club del Sol as it starts at Llenaire. CDS is further towards Alcudia but it is quite safe to walk into PP, normal road safety awareness must be used of course. Hope this helps.
Old 16-09-2008, 22:52
Founder

Default Pedestrianisation of the Front - Latest

THE seafront section of the Old Wharf in the Port of Pollensa is finally to be converted into a pedestrian only area between calle Elcano and Avenida de Paris.

The decision was announced at the end of last week by Wharf director Francisca Ramon after having emerged the previous evening from a fraught meeting with some one hundred local residents and traders in the area.

The start of the coming week will see the removal of signposts which had been put up a month ago in a number of streets along the Wharf at a time when it was envisaged that traffic would be barred from the seafront area of the Port during the day-time.

Strong protests from some neighbours at the meeting had led the Town Council to rethink their strategy and adopt a pilot scheme to be introduced in the commercial area closest to the Old Wharf.

Simultaneously, new signposts indicating the pedestrianisation of the stretch of seafront will be erected this coming week with the aim of completely cutting off traffic between calle Elcano and Avenida de Paris by the end of the week. The only vehicles which will not be barred from circulation will be local buses.

The Town Council has promised local residents that it is to seek funds from outside its own treasury to finance an overhaul and structural upgrading of the seafront area which will complement the current traffic-free pilot scheme, and which may ultimately mean that more of the terrain abutting the Wharf and sea front becomes pedestrianised.

Although in principle, the municipal pilot scheme embraces a few metres more of roadway, from the access roundabout to the sailing club, the Town Council finally decided to allow vehicles to circulate as far as calle Elcano so that they can make use of the public parking lot situated on the Old Wharf.

(c) Majorca Daily Bulletin