Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2008, 09:31

Default Improve Puerto Pollensa

Hi everyone, I work in a multi-service company, from real estate to concierge and in our team we are always trying to come up with new ideas to improve the port and what services would be apreciated. I thought it would be a good idead to actually ask everyone wo comes to visit us here in Puerto Pollensa what you think. Any ideas you think that our company could take on to make peoples stays more enjoyable, or simply something you would like to see upon your visit to PP.

Looking forward to seeing some good ideas!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Old 14-08-2008, 10:37

Thumbs up

Nick, what a great idea!
Just a quick basic to get the ball rolling.
Keep a check on too many touristy items appearing, ie, too many noisy arcades with noisy machines - emphasis on too many here, not none!
Keeping with the loved rustic approach of some crafts around, but again not too many!
Noticed a few people commenting on doggy poo this year! Cleaners? Bins?
Are these the sort of suggestions you are looking for Nick?
Old 14-08-2008, 10:44

Free band concerts in the square or on the front most nights would be a good draw, like the Pan Pipers on market days.
Old 14-08-2008, 11:19
Super Moderator

Excellent idea Nick, i think Public Toilets would be very high on the list. Do you have any influence with the council.
Old 14-08-2008, 13:03

No more Irish/Aussie/naff bars - leave them to Magaluf and let's get back to some authentic Mallorcan bars/cafes.
Old 14-08-2008, 13:36

Make car drivers keep away from drop kerbs, crossings etc. Its a nuisance when you are in a wheelchair and you have to go further down the road just to get a space to cross. Other than that everything else was great.
Old 14-08-2008, 14:09

Nick

I presume you're looking for ideas which your company could take a commercial interest in? I see you are primarily a property organisation so it might be helpful to us if you could give some clues as to what markets you are looking to expand into.

I'll then have a think when I'm over next month. If I come up with something useful, I assume the standard 5% "finders fee" will apply?

John
Old 14-08-2008, 14:52

Lol @ harters, I did think that myself, we are being asked to do Nick’s blue sky thinking for him. Perhaps he has been asked to come up with some ideas for an upcoming meeting. Only joking Nick, great thread, already been good replies, especially about the dog mess problem, did seem worst this year, what about some of the bikes they have in Paris which go around cleaning up the mess in the night. Toilets also, how can they continue to keep the new ones on the beach closed, if they are that desperate I will take on the contract to look after them for the council. Also the promenade is starting to look tired and is breaking up in places, I presume they are waiting until they close the road on the front and do it then. Also the idea about entertainment in the evening is a good idea, if they are going to move on all the sellers and buskers, they should replace it with something else, like licensed entertainers and maybe music in the square some nights. Hope this helps Nick.
Old 14-08-2008, 15:01
Founder

Can I suggest, that as mentioned above, you are looking for ways that your company can be involved and/or can be promoted, why not look at areas that have been raised on this forum such as street cleaning, craft/cultural activities, opening the closed loos etc. & see if your company could sponsor these sorts of areas & improve links between local businesses & the council - if that is possible in Pollensa.

e.g. street cleaners with your advertising on them etc.
Old 14-08-2008, 15:30

Thanks all, great ideas. We have got a good influence on the the council at the moment, i meet the mayer every other week about a project square we are trying to have made in front of our office and get rid of an extremely dirty area. So definately will be forwarding these ideas on to him and seeing what realistic posibilities there are of getting them fixed. I dont want to seem like im using anyone so if you feel that way, simply dont reply to the thread, I grew up in and love Puerto Pollensa so i am keen to improve wherever i can. And if it can benefit our company then all the better.
Old 14-08-2008, 18:04

Nick

I didnt take it you were trying to "use" folk. My post was entirely serious - well, perhaps not the final sentence (I'll settle for 2.5%).

John
Old 14-08-2008, 20:25

I agree with some of the previous comments especially about the bars and shops. etc and the dog poo...it was worse than ever.
Can i also add...
Public toilets,showers on the beach.
Can something be done about the Beach beds...they were later than ever being put out this year and are now 11 euros for the day (2 beds & a shade)...they are getting very expensive.I also think it awful that they charge full price even if you get there at say 2pm.The state on some of the beds were awful too.Some of them were ripped and so saggy that they could not be used.it doesnt help I know that the kids play on them at night (and most of these were locals)
Old 14-08-2008, 20:41

Good thread and hopefully you can have some influence on issues that have been raised. Can't comment on the dog poo, street vendors etc. as I haven't been to PP since April, but will check it out next month. One point I'd like to make is the road opposite Tamarells beach bar that goes up to the Pollensa Park hotel is always in a poor state, as well as the pavements. You really have to watch where you walk to avoid potholes, uneven paving slabs etc. This road has been like it for several years & only seems to be getting worse.
Old 14-08-2008, 20:50

Nick

Thank you for taking the time to ask this question. It is much appreciated. I think, like most folk, I am interested in keep the character of PP in which ever way is possible.

Things that might improve the experience? Possibly something like a restaurant booking service. This would be particularly useful in winter months as actually knowing where is open is quite a skill in itself! I think things, like this, that actually make the resort more accessible in the winter season, would sit well with the Balearics aim of making the island a choice all year round. Something which wouldn't interest me personally but I am sure has some mileage in this context is golf and cycling.

I will keep thinking!

Sharon
Old 14-08-2008, 21:14

Somebosy mentioned earlier showers on the beach which I see this year have been removed. I have no idea why but they were of great benefit in washung the sand from your feet on leaving the beach.

Could they be brought back?