Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 08:50

Default beggars in PP

Anyone noticed lately the increase of beggars in pp?

You got the guys trying to sell you CDs, the ones trying to sell you ridiculous things like hats and lighted objects, the ones trying to sell you fake DG belts and sunglasses, the french guy playing the instrument.

And now there is a deaf guy that comes by your table and leaves you a paper and a badge, who I always donate to out of pity. But I still think it is very unnecessary.

Although I must say, there are a couple of Spanish guys with guitars that sing brillaintly, these deserve the money they get as they provide entertainment. the rest, are just a bother!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20

I don't think these people are Beggars they are just trying to make a few euros! by selling their goods

As for the Spanish guys playing Guitars in England we call them Buskers!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58

I didnt think the lucky lucky men were a problem to be honest.They left as soon as you said no. I usually go to Tenerife and they are a nightmare there.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23

Yeah your right they do usually go away, but come on, if your sitting in the square your gonna be aproached like 4-5 times! gets abit anoying, dont you think?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13

You get beach/street sellers in all holiday destinations and I personally don't find the ones in PP a nuisance..you can have a laugh with them and they go away as soon as you say no. I bought a Rolex a year ago...the real Mc Coy !!!... and it's still working

I certainly wouldn't call them beggars!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18
Super Moderator

I have always thought the lucky lucky men were ok, they are polite and leave you alone when you say no.
However the "Deaf/ Dumb" people are a different matter, the Spanish owner of one of the bars i use will not allow them on his property. He told me this was because, after they had done the rounds in his bar he followed them (there were 4 or 5 of them), when they got around the corner they met up with others and they were all chatting away as they shared out the money. So i would say that THEY are begging., don't feel sorry for them, they are taking advantage of your compassion.
Old 09-08-2008, 14:35

Cool Lucky Looky!?

I just goes to show how people call things different things! We have always called them the LOOKY LOOKY men not the LUCKY LUCKY, coz they always call out to LOOKY LOOKY!!
Old 09-08-2008, 14:48
Super Moderator

Hi Bella, i know it is really "Looky Looky" but i call them "Lucky Lucky" because they are LUCKY if they make a sale. LOL
Old 09-08-2008, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have always thought the lucky lucky men were ok, they are polite and leave you alone when you say no.
However the "Deaf/ Dumb" people are a different matter, the Spanish owner of one of the bars i use will not allow them on his property. He told me this was because, after they had done the rounds in his bar he followed them (there were 4 or 5 of them), when they got around the corner they met up with others and they were all chatting away as they shared out the money. So i would say that THEY are begging., don't feel sorry for them, they are taking advantage of your compassion.
:O :O :O
LOL

i feel like a rite idiot now!! thanks for the info sparkey, i got a plan next time i am aproached by one
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42

Wink

Re Looky / Lucky! LOL Sparky! Good one Sparks! From now on we will call them the Looky/Lucky men!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Re Looky / Lucky! LOL Sparky! Good one Sparks! From now on we will call them the Looky/Lucky men!
Bit of a tongue twister this one!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:01

sy it 10 times very quickly!

On the other note, the deaf and dumb guys are a step ahead, i work in an office in old town pollensa, and we frequently get them comming in here with their little notes saying they are collecting for the deaf community, we also get people with printed paintings comming in on a weekly basis, the funniest bit is they say they are unique originals, however a colegue of mine bought one the first week, and upon the same mans return he had managed to paint an exact duplicate!!! ;-)
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43
Super Moderator

I think the saddest part is that people become very suspicious, in consequence the genuine charity cases lose out. That said i don't think it is a major problem in PP compared to some stories i hear from holiday makers in other countries.
Old 11-08-2008, 13:09

Didn't see any of the above going on when we were there, as already said the looky looky men don't bother me, everyone has to make a living as long as they leave you alone when you say no.
Old 24-08-2008, 18:48

My friend's daughter thought they looky looky men were saying nookie nookie!!