Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 21:30

Default Is It Me

Is it me or do people seem to be painting a dire picture of PP this year, horrible beaches, prices through the roof etc. I am sure when I return in 5 weeks time I will find things just as good as they have been for the last 10 years since I have been visiting, the only downer will be that things will be more expensive than last year down to the euro exchange rate being low. i

Roll on 5 weeks time
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 22:53

I was thinking the same thing, Joanne. Maybe I've got it wrong but some people, probably not intentionally, seem to be putting a slightly negative slant on PP for some reason. They're obviously the ones who have been there this year, or live there, so they know what they are talking about but I'm just not getting the same lovely feeling I normally get when I think of PP.
Hope I'm wrong. Is it changing? Is it losing it's 'unique' atmosphere? Is the 21st century catching up with it? I'm going there in 25 days time so I'll soon find out. I'll let you know.
Old 07-07-2008, 23:20

We're due to go in 5 weeks (actually less than that now!) and I can't wait for my holiday to arrive, despite some of the more "negative" views of PP.

No resort is perfect and not everybody will have the same experience. Even super luxury hotels come in for criticism.

I think you have to balance the views and make your own mind up. With the posts on prices, at least we are all prepared and can budget more easily. I've heard conflicting thoughts on the beaches so that can just be a matter of opinion. And some of the posts about petty crime can only make us more aware of what can happen if we let our guard down.

I've read some excellent reviews of restaurants lately and Disorderly's post tonight made me smile and think of what a great place PP is!

Jane
Old 07-07-2008, 23:45

I agree with Jane, nowhere is perfect and we're all entitled to our opinions, but we're going to PP this week and I can't wait. I have to question the motives of some of the more recent "negative" posters and, although I may be wrong, my instincts tell me that they are more about causing controversy than providing constructive criticism.

Obviously I'll be able to make up my own mind very soon, but in the mean time, thanks to all the excellent advice I get from this great forum ranging from where to eat to how far my euro is likely to stretch, I'm all set for what I'm certain will be another wonderful holiday in Puerto Pollensa.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:26

At the start of the year when I posted the fact that we had been robbed in the street, I certainly had no intent to cause controversy, but merely wanted to warn people to be a bit more careful than they may have been in the past. Maybe over the 20 plus years we have been going there we had become too relaxed. In any case the area we were in is more deserted at night in the winter than the summer when the aparthotels are open.

We are certainly going again in six weeks and are looking forward to it and again in October. So sorry if I put a bit of a damper on things. I am sure it is just as lovely as ever but a tad more expensive. Just have to forego that second nightcap!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38

Hi Marilyn

I for one found your earlier post an extremely useful reminder to us all to be extra vigilant. Thank you for posting it. As I said above, I was referring to some of the more recent negative posts some of which I have found rather odd and heavy with sarcasm. I hope you have a happy and safe holiday.

Sorry for any offence caused. LK

Last edited by LK1960; 08-07-2008 at 07:51. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45

Marilyn,

I don't think the controversial label refers to your post about crime in PP - you were just warning people of what could happen. There's a post about petty crime on the Tapas Bar and I've also seen messages on Trip Advisor about thefts from villas.

I think it's just a fact of life at the moment but if we're forewarned, we're forearmed! At work, our car park is a target for car thieves, so we post notices telling people not to leave valuables in the car...same thing!

Hope you have a great holiday!

Jane
Old 08-07-2008, 07:53

Default crime

Hi all, just a warning to users of the bus station in Palma. On a recent visit a pickpocket was operating by jumping the queue as you got onto the bus and jostling people around giving him the opportunity to " dip"as you waited in the bus doorway. We spotted him in action, unsucessfully as it happens, on a british couple and then he tried it on me. I delivered him a hefty poke in the ribs and he backed of delivering some colourful language. He never appeared on the bus and obviously never had any intention of going anywhere. So watch out for a short ,dark, scruffy individual pushing and shoving on any bus as he could operate anywhere using the bus network.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57

Default The Port is the same as every year....

As a resident in PP I would just like to put you all at ease and say:

THE PORT IS THE SAME AS EVERY YEAR!

Nothing bad has happene dto the port, and it has not changed one bit.My post on the state of the beaches was MY OPINION. As I have always felt they are dirty, comparing them to Cala or other places.

Sorry if my breach psot caused any concern, I am just comparing them to other beaches around Mallorca which are MUCH cleaner and nicer.

It seems people only point ot the bad things of PP and not the good, I guess its good to be informed on both.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK1960 View Post
Hi Marilyn

I for one found your earlier post an extremely useful reminder to us all to be extra vigilant. Thank you for posting it. As I said above, I was referring to some of the more recent negative posts some of which I have found rather odd and heavy with sarcasm. I hope you have a happy and safe holiday.

Sorry for any offence caused. LK
No offence caused at all. I would just hate to think I had put anyone off going to one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

The positives far, far outweigh any negatives. The local people, the local bars and restaurants, the beautiful mountains. Oh I can't wait!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:17

Of course, the one thing that speaks volumes more than anything else, is that virtually all of us posting will be heading back again, and again, and again.

PP will evolve, we won't love every change that is made, and we'll all have opinions to share here.

But I can't wait to be back nourishing a weary soul in PP in September. Nowhere does it better!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22
Super Moderator

Well said Spudbag.
Old 09-07-2008, 00:15

I agree with Jane - nowhere is perfect, but I think PP comes pretty close. I've been going there for 25 years and I now live in California, yet it still pulls me back there every year. I haven't liked all the changes over the years but, for me, it still hasn't lost its charm. Roll on September, when I'll be back again!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16

Smile Doom & Gloom

I sincerely hope that those painting a picture of gloom are way off the mark.We have been coming to PP for many years and will be there in a couple of weeks for 4 weeks with our grandchildren. Of course we have to be vigilant even for things like Jellyfish (Any sitings ?) I probably am a 'Golden Oldie' -74 but love it - hasta la vista.

Best Wishes to all
Old 09-07-2008, 15:19

Hi all
I've lived in Mallorca for 14 years and the one thing that I always love about the port is seeing so many families walking down the paseo with smiles on their faces and generally having a good time in what I consider a relatively safe enviroment. As regards the beaches..well the port is a port right? and if the lovely boating community follow the regs then all is well, if not.....well, I don't personally drink the sea water if I can help it!! but let's face it, if you do find the water objectionable then Cala San Viçens is only a short bus ride away. Yes things have gone up a little but when I think about us being an island and having one of the most expensive ferry crossings in Europe, the rise in fuel etc. I think it's not as bad as it could be, and there are ways to eat just as well but cheaper, try the menu del dia places which between 1-3ish offer a great meal for a fraction of what it would cost you in the evening, C'an Andreu in the square is an excellent example of this.
I am sure that all of you who have holidays planned will have a really great time, because unless I'm mistaken the sun and the beach is still free right???