Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Nadal - Wimbledon (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/3425-nadal-wimbledon.html)

Labore 07-07-2008 14:07

Nadal - Wimbledon

Congrats to Rafa Nadal for winning Wimbledon - the Mallorcan boy done good.What a few weeks its been for Spanish sport.

Yveee:) 07-07-2008 16:52

Nadal has the most amazing tan . Well done boy !
Yve:)

ann 07-07-2008 17:53

nadal

When Spain reached the finals of the European football tournament, local Mallorquins went Spanish overnight. Catalan flags replaced by Spanish ones and flown from balconies and cars. When Spain won the final the town went wild, rockets going off, cars touring the town hooting their horns etc etc all night long.
Last night, after local boy Nadal triumphed at Wimbledon, there was nothing. No cheering from nearby bars, not a single damp squib of a firework, nothing.
What a shame, and I wonder why. Wimbledon has to be every bit as prestigious in the tennis world as the European cup in football (if not more so). Were Nadal's local supporters too exhausted to cheer?

Sparky 07-07-2008 18:06

Strange isn't it Ann, but i would bet at least one local was celebrating. That would be Bernie the son of Leo from El Ancla, he is a massive tennis and Nadal fan.:D

Linzzzz 07-07-2008 20:52

That is very strange. Last Sept I was in the Pollensa square & Nadal was there filming a hair commercial & it was pretty much hysteria there! He was completely mobbed, so I'm very surprised there hasn't been much of a celebration over his Wimbledon win.

CocoPuff 08-07-2008 09:47

Ann. the problem is here in Mallorca, when it comes to football, everyone goes mad, notice how when there are any big games on, all the bars are full, when the tennis is on... barely anything. i myself am not a big football fan but i do moonlight in a bar, and il tell you, the football final was a nightmare on the staff side, the day of th tennis, you wouldnt know he was playing... sad but true!

Labore 02-07-2010 11:15

World Cup / Wimbledon

Could be a repeat of 2 years ago in terms of being a good summer for Spanish sport with both Spain and Nadal in contention for top honours. I'm really hoping Spain make the world cup final as I arrive in PP the day before and I'm sure it will be a great occasion if Spain can make it.

sws97sdg 02-07-2010 11:45

Very envious Labore, it will be great if Spain get through to the final. Just a quick plug, there is a Spanish forum at the Tapas Bar where you can follow Spain’s progress in the world cup, Rafa's grand slam matches and also full weekly updates of the La Liga results as well as other sports if anyone is interested.

Deanscroft 02-07-2010 12:38

Let us not forget Jorge Lorenzo from Manacor who is at present running away with the World Motorcycle Grand Prix Championship.

suemo 02-07-2010 20:51

He hasn't won it yet! He beat Andy Murray this afternoon to get into the final !

Sue x.

BonysLad 02-07-2010 21:04

Sue,

Quite right he hasn't yet, but he will be be back in Manacor either Monday or Tuesday ( he always comes straight back to Mallorca ) . Such a modest , lovely lad . He always signs himself in everyday at the Manacor tennis club whenever he is home .

Can you see those overpaid English footie t**ssers doing that ???

BonysLad :):)

El Gordo 05-07-2010 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labore (Post 22223)
Congrats to Rafa Nadal for winning Wimbledon - the Mallorcan boy done good.What a few weeks its been for Spanish sport.

Get that Lotto on Labore......you can predict the future!!:D

Rab 06-07-2010 08:42

If (and I think its a big if) Spain beat Germany will PP do anything exciting for the final? A big screen in the square/beach?

Where would be the best bars to watch it?

Sparky?

Sparky 06-07-2010 10:00

Rab, i have not heard of any plans for this but it seems like almost every restaurant and bar now have TVs with many of these outside.

Belladonna 06-07-2010 10:52

Outside! You have got to be kidding me!