Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 20:42

Angry Time Share Touts

Hi to all,

I visited Port Alcudia today with my wife and we were dismayed to see the Time Share touts operating in pairs and generally hassel people with a pack of lies to get you to visit one of the reps who will attempt to sell you a time share.

I personally gave them a firm " No Thank You " and would not stop. I have placed a message in the Alcudia thread for future reference

It made us think as we returned to PP, have these people ever been here in PP ?

We have been coming to PP for 6 years and i'm now very proud to live here, but in all that time i have never seen touts around the Port. I wonder how our local Police would deal with them ?
Sponsored Links
Old 15-05-2008, 21:13

I've never seen them in PP, but have experienced them in Lanzarote a few years back.

I also heard on Trip Advisor of touts trying to sell scratchcards to holidaymakers and really putting on the pressure, even going so far as to ask for bank details...

Sometimes, I would walk away from my husband and that used to work, as if they could only target a couple.

Jane
Old 15-05-2008, 22:07

Content deleted by PWS.

Last edited by pinewalkstroll; 04-07-2008 at 20:05.
Old 16-05-2008, 08:21

Hi Pinewalkstroll!

I've left a message in your inbox.

Sandy.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:15

Angry

We we grabbed in Lanzarote by the skratch kard kid - one card from the top "sorry sir you've lost" one from the bottom "congratulations madam you've won a holiday" "wow amazing!" says me "give me it" - "no I'm not coming in for a 3 hour presentation - but I'll take the holiday thanks" He didn't seem to get sarcasm!

If these guys ever started up in PP I might just keep retuning and wasting their scratch cards or telling everybody that it's a con.

I vaguely recall that there were some people a couple of years back around about the taxi rank trying to give you scratch cards to do with mobile phones or credit cards or something - they were also at the airport - anyone remember that?

Lala
Old 16-05-2008, 19:38

We were approached in Tenerife last year and it proved very difficult to shake them off. However the best piece of advice we were given subsequently given was to brush them off with a "we live here". Worked a treat later in our holiday.
Old 16-05-2008, 21:02

Default Time share touts

Good tip - thanks for that Golfaholics. I will try to commit that one to memory as it should work in any resort. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:44

Smile Time share touts in PP.

Hello. I'm new to the Forum and had to reply re Time Share Touts.
I was in the Port 2 weeks ago and overheard a chap who was desperately trying to get a middle aged couple to get a Taxi to Alcudia (he said he would pay) He was telling them they would be met at the other end and timeshare was then mentioned.
I was sat on a seat and overheard all of this, the couple declined the offer but it was a bit of a shock to think it was happening in PP.
Arriving in PP on Monday 9th, just for a few days, can't wait.

Frankie.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28

Thankd for that Frankie - I'll be on the lookout. Hopefully no-one will be daft enough to get into a taxi!
Old 04-06-2008, 19:19

Yes I saw a guy on the front in PP last year just before the ice cream kiosk doing scratch cards with a younger girl full of patter and obviously selling something. The people who didn't show any interest in the routine of "we can't believe it you've won one of our top prizes, we just need to get you a taxi to Alcudia to claim it," seemed to suffer quite afew insults along the way when they didn't go! Glad to say haven't seen him there April time this year so lfingers crossed.
Old 07-06-2008, 21:03

Cool

Had a trip to Alcudia whilst out last week and a "scratch card" toute approached us as we were crossing the road.
He allowed mum and dad to cross - as obviously over 65 - then walked close to me asking in every language where I was from. I was in a good mood and didnt really take offence as it was only the first time this trip, so basically just asked him what language should I talk to him and what else should I say to him to get him to go away! Laughingly he told me to tell him I loved him, but not too loud as his girlfriend was around. So of course I rather loudly did!
The obligatory two scratch cards were giving to me and hubby, to which I said " well Ill tell you for nothing that hubby wont have a thing and I will have top prize, but it wont be worth claiming as we already have an apartment here and Im not interested in any more time share". He mentioned that we didnt have to do anything tonight as it was about a new estate agents opening tomorrow. Bla di BLa DI BLA!! I just carried on walking throwing back cheeky remarks as I did and he called out to come back to him if I had won first prize!! Surprise surprise I did! Win the prize that is - not go back to him!!
I have found that in any country that if you mention you already own a property there they arent so pushy. Another out is to say the partner you are with is not your husband/wife. This does seem to be a criteria for claiming sometimes. Tenerife is by far still the worst for timeshare, and Alcudia is worse than PP. Still, if you can laugh it off and have a giggle too, it cant be bad!
Old 15-06-2008, 20:25

we were approached near the ice cream kiosk last saturday(7th).Told the guy a firm No thanks.
Old 20-06-2008, 15:02

Just to let everyone know that they are now on the pathway across from the Daina hotel (path nearest to the sea ) They seem to be there every day . please feel free to inform them of your feelings I do !
Old 29-06-2008, 20:10

Wink

No!!
I love PP because of it's relaxed feel, no time share touts and no pushy restaurant PR people, just busy restaurants through good reputations. I do hope this isn't the start of the end...... We all love Puerto Pollensa, we'd all love (and some on this forum are lucky enough) to have our own little place, but not at the hands of time share touts! You keep up the good work pinewalkstroll!
Old 04-07-2008, 16:05

Touts are a nuisance in parts of Tenerife. However, I take the view that they are just young folk trying to make a living, so am never rude to them.

Best way of dealing is say "No, thanks" - and keep walking without making eye contact. They'll quickly give up on you. If stopped, then the "We have a place here. Have a good day", normally works as a back-up.