Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   prices and weather ??? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/3304-prices-weather.html)

millymol 14-06-2008 18:49

prices and weather ???

Hello all members
Hope i am putting this question in the right section
Giong to pp for the first time in a few weeks someone i know has not long come back from magaluf i know its not right next door to pp but they said they had bad weather rained alot and the prices are terrible
Anyone know if the weather is picking up
Going mad about what to pack also on average about how much spending money to take going for two weeks self catering family of four on some reviews of the apartments i am staying in they said a kitkat is 1 euro i think does that work out about 75-80p
Can any members who have been already advise me on prices
bread,milk,two course meal,pop,ice creams,beer,fags etc
Many thanks for any help please

ianb 14-06-2008 23:05

Ive recently returnmed from a holiday in PP it is expensive compared to some other resorts. A pint of lager is generally 3 1/2 euros but can be a bit more or a bit less. In the supemarket depending which one a small can of san miguel is between 65 and 85 cents.

A t-bone or fillet steak main course was between 18 and 22 euros. A pizza for one about 8 or 9 euros.

Hope that helps, we spend about £1200 on food and drink in 11 nights (2 adults and 3 kids) But ate out every night sometimes at the expensive eateries on pine walk and the square.

millymol 15-06-2008 20:51

Many thanks ianb for your reply it has helped
Thank you

Yveee:) 16-06-2008 16:19

Hi Millymol .
The weather is suppost to be good from now on in PP
Its the start of summer over there now apparently , and i just looked at the webcam and men without tops on there :)
Prices are still more expensive than other places in Spain but PP doesnt really compare with Magaluf . I think it is quite worth it in PP :) Hope this helps

millymol 16-06-2008 18:30

Manys thanks for all your replys so glad the weather has picked up yes you dont mind paying a bit more if its nice yes been to magaluf and we hated it could not wait to return home ( sorry everyone who loves magaluf )
just wanted to know the average prices out there
once again thank you

snowy2007 16-06-2008 22:38

You could look at Eating Out guide lots of menus there with prices that will give you a very good idea:cool:

spudbag 23-06-2008 08:51

Just back from this year's first foray - and the prices are definitely up this year. The rise in fuel prices seems to be even more dramatic than here - they're catching us up to be honest.

The days of leaving the supermarket wonbdering how you'd got a week's food and drink for 40 euros is over - and its not just because Eroski are hell-bent on world domination.

And some restaurants have upped the ante too - and many report a serious drop in foot-fall this year. Free drinks not so easy to come by this year.

But the Pine Walk views are still beautiful and still free - not a lot the credit crunch can do to change that!

purpleboots 23-06-2008 16:10

Prices

We have just come home from PP on Sat fantastic time as usual. The prices on everything have gone up, first of all the car Car Jet £109.00 for a week but they charge you for a full tank of fuel on top we took ours back and it had half a tank in it. the price of food and drinks have also gone up a vodka and tonic and a pint at Boney's 10 euros, a nice meal at Los Zarzales 93 euros for two.
What we did was skip on the starters especially if you are there for two weeks it can work out very expensive. El posito was quite reasonable 80 euros for a three course .
I will write more in the eating out section but i am going in to Hospital tomorrow for my knee replacement, will be in touch when i am home and feeling better x ps The weather was great very hot except for last Tuesday

favie 23-06-2008 16:26

Hi Purpleboots.

Glad you had a great time and the weather improved for you. I did notice a little increase in things too this year....but still reasonable places to be had.
Hope op goes well. :) Read your reviews soon I hope :)

LK1960 23-06-2008 16:32

Prices

Spudbag and Purpleboots

Thanks for the information on prices and weather. At least those of us who are heading out soon will have a good idea of what to expect and I know I'm already thinking of ways we can cut back this year without feeling deprived. Skipping starters seems like a good idea.

Glad the weather has picked up too. Good luck with your operation Purpleboots. Look forward to reading your reviews when you're home and on the mend.

Linda

JH02JLH 23-06-2008 16:38

Yes...thanks very much for the information - extremely helpful!

My husband paled visibly when I told him about the prices in Bony's! That is more than we would pay in our local! But I suppose the measures are large?

:eek:

star81 23-06-2008 18:46

Prices at Bony's

Have to say Jane we were pretty surprised at the prices ar Bony's when we went last week.

It was the first time we had been there (and probably the last) and ordered 2 g&t's and one vodka, soda and lime and were charged 18 euros and to be honest the measures were not as large as we would normally get! Think it was the most expensive round of drinks we had all holiday !! Yes prices in general have gone up but think this was excessive.

Will put up restaurant reviews later on in the week.

Sparky 23-06-2008 19:05

Have to agree Bonys prices are very high, the most we paid anywhere else for 2 large white wines was 4euros, nearly fainted to be charged 8 euros for the same round in Bonys.:eek::eek:

JH02JLH 23-06-2008 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by star81 (Post 21636)
Have to say Jane we were pretty surprised at the prices ar Bony's when we went last week.

It was the first time we had been there (and probably the last) and ordered 2 g&t's and one vodka, soda and lime and were charged 18 euros and to be honest the measures were not as large as we would normally get! Think it was the most expensive round of drinks we had all holiday !! Yes prices in general have gone up but think this was excessive.

Will put up restaurant reviews later on in the week.

My mouth is hanging open in shock!

Looking forward to your restaurant reviews, Star!

gers1873 23-06-2008 20:40

quite concerned to read of high prices around this year, call me a canny scot if you wish but i hate being overcharged for spirits in bars as they are much cheaper in spain, although has to be said the measure is larger

i have noticed in the past 2 years eating out in pp has shot up in price a lot more than at home, last year we were paying on average 150 euro for 2 adults and 2 kids to eat out in the evenings

Joanne 23-06-2008 21:11

Sparky what bar were you getting 2 glasses of wine for 4 euro at, must give that one a visit>

Thanks

Sparky 23-06-2008 21:16

All of our usual haunts. Joanne, but maybe we get special rates.

Timberman 23-06-2008 21:44

Wow, some of these prices sound quite expensive, 18 euros for 3 drinks, thats a lot more than back here for doubles. I know their measures a fairly large, sometimes too large for my wife:rolleyes: but it seems over the top.
Especially as I have 4 adults to feed and water.

I noticed last year prices seemed to more expensive than the previous year.

I think I'll have to cut back on my visits to Bony's. Even though we enjoy it so much there.

One of the cheaper places I think to have a drink in nice surroundings was the Daina Hotel. Any other suggestions

Timberman

Sparky 23-06-2008 21:56

El Ancla, on the front next to Hotel Romantic is very reasonable with lovely views of the bay. Also Neptuno, Trotters, Tollos, JKs, Golden Lion, Club Cultural and Ikebana.:D

Timberman 23-06-2008 22:05

I've walked past El Ancla on many occasions and have never ventured in. This is only about 5 mins from where we stay and Ikebana the same. This may sound stupid and it probably is, but do they just cater for people who want just a drink or are they only restaurants, bearing in mind we always visit in August when most places are very busy.

Timberman

Sparky 24-06-2008 05:01

You can just have drinks if you want, but the food is very good.

Portofan 24-06-2008 08:38

Agree with Sparky's last comments.

Our first night this year , we'd just arrived, was in IRU.

Two G and T's, not all that large, with the vat added on was 13 euros.
at 80p a Euro that's £10.40.

Didn't have a drink there again!:eek:

ianb 24-06-2008 17:05

PP is a beautiful place but definately the most expensive spanish resort I have visited and ive visited a lot. Sadly I will think twice before returning particularly whilst the euro is so weak (will it ever recover)
£2.80p a pint of lager is the same as back home. I can recall when it was at least half the price of england in spanish resorts and prices have shot up here in the UK so its doing well to keep up, should pass uk prices soon.

sws97sdg 24-06-2008 17:26

Hi ianb
Actually I pay £3.25 here in the south for a pint of Sam Miguel so not quite the same for me, can we get to the bottom of this, has the euro price gone up, last year I think we paid 3.50 euros for a pint, what is the price now, I've heard its still that, can some one confirm price, if it is the same then its down to the drop in the euro so prices anywhere on the Med will have gone up the same.

Sparky 24-06-2008 19:04

Hi SWS, when i was there in May ,on average i would say my usual haunts prices have only gone up by a few cents, if at all. The exchange rate is really to blame. We can't expect prices to stay the same forever abroad, rises are much steeper in the UK.:eek:

Rangers1 24-06-2008 19:56

The problem is we all compare prices to ones at home and we should'nt its what you pay in PP end of story either pay it or dont go there simple stop moaning sooner be there than stay in england

JH02JLH 24-06-2008 20:19

I don't think we're moaning - I think we're all just a bit shocked at the rise in prices this year. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, after all. This is a discussion forum and I appreciate people taking the time to post prices of drinks and meals. It makes it a lot easier to budget.

I've always thought that going abroad on holiday is cheaper than staying at home, but like cheap flights, those days seem to be over...:rolleyes:

sws97sdg 24-06-2008 20:26

That’s the thing though Jane, prices haven’t gone up, the euro has gone down, hopefully when the euro goes back up again we will get more for our money again :)

JH02JLH 24-06-2008 20:57

I looked back at the post below from last year (see link) and a spirit/mixer was working out at just under 5 euros - Portofan says he was charged 13 euros for two drinks...

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...read.php?t=670

But beer prices look like they may have stayed the same?

snowy2007 24-06-2008 21:07

Thats why if you go All Inclusive it works out about the same or fraction cheaper and you dont have to keep putting your hand in your pocket.
Mind you would not do AI in Europe.

pops 24-06-2008 23:27

[QUOTE=JH02JLH;21708]I looked back at the post below from last year (see link) and a spirit/mixer was working out at just under 5 euros - Portofan says he was charged 13 euros for two drinks...

To be fair to other places though IRU is particulary expensive.

I'm sure there are lots of bars and restaurants where the drinks don't cost more than 5 euros, at least I hope not.

Pops

Portofan 24-06-2008 23:40

Here's me 'aving a look tonight and who's on?

Pops!

Hi Ya to my pal!:)

Yep that was it!

First night!

6.05 Euros plus the vat, near enough 13 for the two.

Not on!:mad:

I mean, no atmosphere , or little of it and hey, come on, do they see you coming or what??

Porto!;)

Rangers1 25-06-2008 07:03

JH02JLH

You are spot on it is a forum and its peoples opinions and my comments are my opinion. Like i say you have to leave pounds shilling and pence behind. It does not change on here, wash my mouth out for speaking out against the chosen few.

JMD40 27-06-2008 21:03

Cappuccini

Hi there, If it makes anyone any happier, I was amazed yesterday to pay in cappocchino in beautiful Port de Andratx yesterday - 5.95 euros for a dry white wine and 4.70 for a lemon shandy!!!
Did I moan - yes!! Will I pay it again - Yes probably, as the service and sea view was next to one. BUT, Hey, I live here and I know the bottle can be bought for about 8euros so that was waaaaaaay OTT. . . . . i wonder how much they would have charged for the bottle???? I shall check next time I go . . .

I recently also paid in Porto Pi shopping centre in Palma - a cafe in centre of shopping mall so nothing special - about 6 euros for a tea. I asked the waitress if I had bought the rather nice iron teapot also - she had the decency to look somewhat embarrassed.
:mad: