Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Getting around with a wheelchair (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/3280-getting-around-wheelchair.html)

Stocktonmackem 11-06-2008 09:27

Getting around with a wheelchair

We will be coming to PP in July and my husband is wheelchair bound. I was wondering if he would be able to get around in Pollensa. I know that there are steps and it is an old town but as long as we can get around some parts i would visit. Any advice would be appreciated:)

whaleywanderer 11-06-2008 10:36

Hi:)

With reference to PP being wheelchair friendly - you couldn't have chosen a better place to go. PP is totally on the flat and you can access the beech, shops, supermercados etc. The old town of Pollensa is also flat apart from the calvari steps leading up to the little church but you could see the views from the top by looking at postcards without climbing to the top.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time and no problems with the wheelchair.

JennyP 11-06-2008 11:06

I spent a week at the end of April in a wheelchair in Pollenca and whilst I would agree that both the old town and the Port are good in that they are flat I would not say they are really wheelchair friendly. The local authority do not seem to understand the concept of dropped curbs - there are dropped corners but many still seem to have a drop of a couple of inches or so. You need to be prepared for a bit of heaving and shoving!

However, having said that the effort will be well worth it as both the Port and old town are wonderful places for a holiday. The Pine Walk and the promenade are both excellent for wheelchairs.

sws97sdg 11-06-2008 11:35

Hi stockton, with respect to the calvari steps, I believe you can drive up to the top to admire the view if you wish. Hope you enjoy your holiday

jk14 11-06-2008 12:18

Hello fellow Stocktonian! My son uses a wheelchair and we have had no problems getting around in Puerto Pollensa or Pollensa, I agree that the kerbs can be pretty high so it can be quite heavy work. That said, having visiting other places in mainland Spain the biggest attractiion for us is that Puerto Pollensa is flat. Have a brilliant time.

Stocktonmackem 11-06-2008 15:27

Thanks for the replies, i was a bit apprehensive but you have put my mind at rest. The only thing to worry me now is the weather:D

whaleywanderer 12-06-2008 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 21372)
Hi stockton, with respect to the calvari steps, I believe you can drive up to the top to admire the view if you wish. Hope you enjoy your holiday

Although it was an experience climbing the steps, I wish I'd have known there was an easier way!!!!