Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 13:10

Unhappy Article in Today's Majorca Daily News

I have just read an article in the Majorca Daily News headed "Anger over the poor state of the Port of Pollensa".

Can anyone tell me if it is really bad as it sounds? We are due to fly out on the 31st May and whilst I know that there has to been change i.e. building work etc, it states in the article that they are not at all ready for the tourists to arrive.

Really looking forward to my trip and I suppose I just don't want anything to spoil it.

suemo x.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 18:45

Ive just read it too, here is the article

Anger over the poor state of the Port of Pollensa
By H. Carter

PALMA
RESIDENTS in the Port of Pollensa feel let down by the new mayor and yesterday complained that the resort is not yet prepared to handle tourists.
Dr Gary Bonsall, the president of the Gotmar residents association said yesterday that none of the sun beds have been out on the beach yet, despite the summer season having officially got under way on May 1. “Over the past few days I’ve traveled to other parts of the island like Palmanova and all the sun beds and sunshades are out and tourists all over the place.

Up here, we’re just not ready to welcome tourists,” he said.
He also complained about the vast number of building sites which fail to comply with the laws. “We don’t seem to have a planning inspector (celador) so building sites do what they want. There’s cement all over the port, the cars,. the streets and building material lying about the place. “And here in Gotmar, the streets are collapsing and it’s becoming very dangerous for pedestrians especially those in wheelchairs or pushing prams. “Over the past 30 years, no money has been spent on maintaining the streets of Gotmar and I challenge all neighbourhood associations on the island to demonstrate that their streets are in a worse condition than ours,” Dr. Bonsall said yesterday.

It doesnt sound good, does it?

Last edited by jiggggy; 09-05-2008 at 07:06.
Old 08-05-2008, 21:42

Smile

Hola Suemo & Jiggggy
I was staying on the Pine Walk for the last week in April. It's true that the beach had bits of rubbish on it but nothing major. The sun beds & shades weren't out either so it was a bit of a lost opportunity really. The weather was warm and sunny each day and the water was warm enough to paddle in or swim in so the sun beds should have been out really. We just laid on our towels in the good old fashioned way! The path sweepers were doing their daily rounds of the Pine Walk so that was nice & clean.
When we go out early in the season, we try to do a bit of beach combing anyway and pick up (carefully) any bits of broken glass, debris etc from the sea shore & place it in the rubbish bins. We're not trying to do anyone out of a job and hopefully it helps to get those annoying bits of glass away from the beach and away from anyone's toes! We've found some lovely shells and a very handy shackle in the process.
Building-wise, there was stuff going on next to the Hotel Daina as has been mentioned elsewhere and also Tango's has bitten the dust. We didn't find it a huge inconvenience and just skirted around it all. All of our favourite restaurants were on the go and we enjoyed all of our evenings out. We tried Los Faroles for the first time (don't know what took us so long!) and had a fabulous meal there. Great staff and location too!
I'm sure that you will find PP just as lovely as it always has been when you go out again.
Mary
Old 09-05-2008, 13:08

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for your report - paints a better picture than the article in the Majorca Daily News!!! I see on the web-cam this morning the guys have at last erected the sunshades on the beach but its a pity the weather is so awful!!! Heading out that way tomorrow so fingers crossed it improves.
Old 09-05-2008, 15:01

Isn't that typical - they get the parasols up, and down comes the rain!

And I hope that it isn't a yellow mooring buoy lodged under one of the tables

allanglens
Old 10-05-2008, 09:43

Hi Allan - don't think so - there were people rolling up windsurfing equipment yesterday - least I think that's what it was. Lala
Old 13-05-2008, 13:03

Just saw this report in todays Daily news, how terrible, at least he has been arrested, hope everybodys friends and family who are over there are ok, what ever next.

BRITONS HURT IN POLLENSA ATTACK
TWO British tourists were seriously hurt yesterday after being robbed by a 21-year-old in Pollensa.
According to the Guardia Civil who are handling the case, both needed hospital treatment and one suffered a fractured jaw when the young thief, who has been arrested, robbed the holiday makers of their wallets.
In Palmanova, the Guardia Civil have arrested two Britons aged in their early 30s for having allegedly damaged a vehicle.
In Minorca, another Briton aged 59 has been arrested under the suspicion of having apparently damaged a property.
A German suspected of producing false vehicle registration plates has also been arrested in Arta.
In Palma, the National Police have arrested a known drug dealer. “El Sevillano” was arrested at his home in Son Gotleu where a variety of drugs were found as well as 1.740 euros in cash and four knives.
Old 13-05-2008, 13:58

I'm stunned by that news...I take it the article is referring to the old town of Pollensa and not the port?

If so, then I can hardly believe it. I would never for one minute think that there was a risk of being mugged in a violent fashion in either the port or the old town.

Words fail me...

Jane
Old 14-05-2008, 23:51

Default mugged in pollensa

I was so shocked to read it yesterday,Iwould have believed you were perfectly safe in pollensa and the port,but it seems to be a few now that people have reported but luckily not as bad as this one.Makes yoy think now not too let your guard down even on holiday, it is upsetting though as i think of it as a lovely safe place for my children to play,and want it to stay that way for ever.(IN MY DREAMS)
Old 18-05-2008, 10:54
Super Moderator

Angry The state of PP

Just got back yesterday, i was really disappointed with the beach when we arrived. No beds or brollies the beach was a mess, after the first week they did start to get it sorted. After speaking with a few locals, it seems that the delay was because the council had not awarded the licence. Although it is taking shape now, it was not a good impression for PP, first time visitors were disgusted and said they would never return. As for the mugging in Pollensa Town, that was shocking, unfortunately it's a sign of the times, we never carry more money than we need i often worry when i see people take a huge wad of notes out of their pockets when paying bills it's asking for trouble.
Old 18-05-2008, 13:52

Thumbs up Welocme home Sparky!

...looking forwards to reading of all your adventures!

Disappointing to hear that things weren't up to their usual standards. Just what is going on?

Lala
Old 19-05-2008, 11:15

Welcome back sparky, looking forward to hearing all your posts.
Old 19-05-2008, 13:20

We just got back last night, most of the sun beds are out now, only Llenaire still to be done.

PP76
Old 19-05-2008, 15:58

Typical! I hope they are up by next week - although perhaps they should make them rainproof!
Old 28-05-2008, 20:01

Must say I was initially quite shocked this year at the mess on the beach at the Pinewalk - loads of seaweed (never seen so much before) also dogs mess yuk!! - lost its charm just a little bit!!( I mean just a little bit because I LOVE the place!!) Building work going on right on the front...but I suppose it has to happen - the new Tex Mex, the Aussie Bar - could do without them but they are there....and I certainly won't let them ruin it for me but what my biggiest shock was, our first evening we went to Centric (do a report later) the square was swarming and I mean swarming with street-sellers selling their tack at 'not so cheap prices' - never seen that before!!! I think between that and the rain I was initially disappointed but in spite of it all, it still is the most magical place!!

Last edited by favie; 28-05-2008 at 21:00.