Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   The Church in the square (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/2274-church-square.html)

Portofan 13-07-2005 17:34

The Church in the square

Good morning!

We all enjoy the Forum and the many very different topics we discuss.

If you come on here or even look in and don't post you appreciate that there is a wide spectrum of views on any topic. Some enjoy the eating and drinking section and these provoke lots of laughs.

The Church which is in a commanding position in the square in PP should not be forgotten as it will be visited by both residents and holiday visitors alike as part of their daily lives.

Even if you are not of a religious persuasion go in and have a look. Well worth it. Some of our readers will be familiar with the inside.

One Sunday morning we were sitting in the square and we heard what sounded like BBC "Songs of Praise" taking place so I wandered in . Every Sunday at 9am or so in the main holiday season there is an Anglican service with an Anglican vicar and the Church was full to the sound of hymns sung in English all over the UK. So there were lots of people who were visitors and perhaps some who contribute here.

Just another aspect of life in PP and one many won't have known of. If your accomodation is close to the Church the bells on a Sunday morning will mean something else if you were on a late night on Saturday!!

Regards

Porto

PS Well? Has everyone gone teetotal? No one is replying to "Wine " these days!

Jimsboy 14-07-2005 06:50

Hiya Portofan'

I was delighted to read your missive. We come to PP a couple of times a year, at least,and one of our magic moments entails sitting quietly in the square, perhaps reading the newspaper, on a Sunday morning. Our favourite time is at the beginning of October when the intense heat has mellowed somewhat and PP is a little quieter. To simply sit and listen to the gentle peals of the church bells and to watch people crossing the square to attend Mass is a magic moment for my wife and myself. It matters not your religious persuasion, suffice to say that here is PP going about its sometimes unseen bisiness..

Greetings from Jimsboy.

JH02JLH 14-07-2005 23:46

Hi Portofan and Jimsboy,

As well as the beautiful church in PP, the huge church in the main square of Pollensa old Town is impressive as well.

I love to sit in the square in the evening and listen to the bells ring out. Always sends shivers down my spine. And I love to watch the locals make their way into the church dressed up in their best clothes. Makes me envious of the faith they have and the important part the church plays in their lives.

I have always wanted to go inside and I'm determined to pay it a visit in August. From the open doorway it looks beautiful.

Jane:D

pops 14-07-2005 23:56

Jane
The church in the square is beautiful and the church in Pollensa is even more so. Your right it is pretty impressive.
When I'm over there I always try and get to mass on a sunday morning. The catholic mass with the locals and it is wonderful experience. Try it.
I'm not particulary holy myself, I go occasionally over here.
Even if it just to light a candle, go in and have a look.

Portofan 15-07-2005 01:30

Well people!

Delighted with the replies particularly as this is quite a different topic and I wondered what would happen.

To Jimsboy first I would say that the hymn that made me go in was "Guide me, O thou great Jehovah" as it was being sung very lustily to Cwm Rhondda and it was a reminder of the Millenium Stadium when your lot are stuffing some other lot.

Next to Jane who mentions the Pollensa Church which is so different fromPP and so very old and quite magnificent. Yes go in there and in to PP one too. But of course Jane the Church you sit outside of has to be bigger and more grand than mine. Like when I said I had a bottle of Tobermorey Malt it was "oh my daddy's got a barrel of Tobermorey"!

And to pops you 'd notice I began "Well people".
That goes back a few years from when we were on top floor of the Borras on the double balcony looking down on the Square on "Our Subjects" as they went about their daily business. Much of course to do with eating and drinking! We enjoyed that aspect of our stay there!
So carry on subjecting yourself to the E andD which PP offers so abundantly!

Anyone else with a tale to tell?

El Rey

JH02JLH 15-07-2005 02:34

Oh Portofan!!! Miaow!!!

As I said, my "daddy" having a barrel of Tobermory is much more of a hindrance than an investment. He was well and truly conned there!!

Of course I could have left out that part and let you all think he was smug about the barrel!!!

But an honest Joe am I!!!

Jane:D

Hamcas 15-07-2005 03:21

Agree with what has been said about both churches, the one in the old town is magnificent when you stroll around inside but the one in PP has special memories for us as we renewed our wedding vows there on our 25th wedding anniversary 2 years ago tomorrow.

Portofan 15-07-2005 04:06

Re:The Church in the Square

Mais non!

'ave I upset Jane?

Never!

BonysLad 16-07-2005 05:02

Church in the Square

Hiya Portofan and Jimsboy

Really glad you appreciate the beauty of the church , fully endorse your views however the peals aren't that gentle. Our lounge overlooks the spire and believe me for five/ten minutes every Sat night c 7.50 the call to mass does wonders for the building fabric. If we have guests in it's sign language only for five minutes. Thank the lord the angicans hire the church ( I don't think they are allowed bells) first thing Sunday morning so the first ringing is usually c 10.55 ( usually OK for everything but the worst hangover).

BonyLadette and I were there the night the Pope died and we thought we were in for an earful for the week. However there must be something in the mourning ritual which silenced the bells ,as we heard nothing all week.
Does anyone know?

Amazing stuff on this website, the funereal rituals of the Catholic Church.

Beautiful church though and an integral part of life in PP.

BonysLad:D

pops 16-07-2005 07:51

Re: Church in the Square

BONYSLAD
we were there when the pope died but can't say I went in it during that week. Did watch funeral in some of the bars tho.

We were there last christmas and after spending fantastic christmas Eve in maximes with Santa for the kids etc and an amazing christmas dinner. Claudia told us that mass was at midnight. We eventually fell out of there, had a quick drink with our friend at Tango and went to Midnight mass only to find mass finished at midnight and we had missed the lot. Ah well we showed the kids baby Jesus in the manger, and then made them get up the following morning for mass. 20 mins late for that too,-sore head.

Portofan 16-07-2005 15:45

Re: Church in the Square

Good one pops!

Ah the own ups!

Can hardly say confessions here!

Anyone else then?

frito 17-07-2005 05:20

Church In The Square

The church is the place to be tomorrow.
If you go to the 9.00a.m. Anglican service, you could find yourself on T.V!
There's a film crew doing some filming for a sort of "Parish in The Sun" prog.
They are mainly concentrating on the Palma end, but are back in Puerto Pollensa for the service this Sunday. They did a "Songs of Praise" bit of filming on the beach a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers!

Frito.

robjay 18-07-2005 16:26

Re: Church In The Square

Caroline is always at me to join her when she goes to mass in PP, so far I haven't joined her, prefering to listen from outside as I read. But maybe one day.
We have both visited the church in pollensa and thought it was beautiful, I suggested to Caroline that she should go to mass there sometime. I'll get her to tell you all about it if she goes.
Take care.

Rob & Caroline

PennyWhite 24-07-2005 20:42

It is a lovely church, I went there the day of the Fiesta when Jesus and Mary were taken from their usual stand and paraded through town and then given a boat ride around the harbour, I actually hopped on board Jesus's boat: great experience, was given a plastic cup of champagne from some nice Spanish chap there with his family... wonderful to see all the decorated boats following the trawler I was in. Missed the little demons later in the evening sadly, but the fireworks over the sea were world class, amazing.
Sorry we are going to miss the battle at Pollensa, the inhabitants are choosing sides (according to a waiter we spoke to)and display flags, black and red squares if a local, yellow crescent and star if a Moor. Takes place I think on 2 August,should be another fun day.
Visited the church in Pollensa old town, the big one on the square where the market is held, most impressed.

Portofan 24-07-2005 20:48

Good on you Penny!

Plenty more reports to come.

Since you went away the chat room is the place !

You are most welcome!

Jane will soon have you in!!!