Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-2005, 02:59
tresspass5

Default mozzies

A while back somebody mentioned about taking vitamin B complex or something like that several weeks before tackling the mozzies,as apparently they don't like it in your blood,can anybody comfirm i read this,or knows about this,if its true its worth a try,my husband suffered badky last year,but it was later in the year,this time we are going in two weeks,does any body know if they are as bad this time of year?.
tresspass5
Sponsored Links
Old 15-06-2005, 16:58
Sara4

Hi - it was me!
For some reason, all the females in our family get bitten really badly by mossies and my mum read about taking Vitamin B complex as apparently you then emit a smell that only the mosquitos can detect and they don't like it. You are supposed to take it for a couple of weeks before you go and then whilst you are there, but to be honest we tend to take it throughout the Summer and it covers you for at home as well. Also, I always take an After Sun with insect repellent in it as it was always difficult trying to get after sun and insect repellent on a small child! She is ten now but still reluctant to let me put any cream on her that isn't pink and glittery! This also smells a hell of a lot better than putting lovely after sun on and then covering it in Insect Repellent! Finally, we always use those Bug Plug things at night. As you can see - we tend to cover all angles, but if we don't then we end up covered in bites and it really isn't funny - as I am sure your husband will agree!
Old 15-06-2005, 21:22
robjay

tresspass5 I have used it and found it to work.
A Turkish friend swears rubbing Lemon cologne on your legs does the trick.
Another friend claims by eating lots and lots of garlic they stay away, so do most of your friends I'd imagine :rollin ,
another claims Marmite, eaten not spread :rollin does the trick I love it Mozzies don't!!!!.

As you can see they all have one thing in common. They give off a smell from your skin ( through your pores) which the female mosquito finds repulsive.
I have also been told the reason women are more prone to being bitten is
1. the hormones excreted from their pores
2. They wear perfumes that attract the female mosquito.
The first you can help the second don't wear any or very little.

Lastly I know that Avon make a moisturizer called "Skin So Soft". Now this stuff is great for the old Scottish Midge ( The British army swear by it I'm told) and hear it's good for the mozzies too.
All of the above also have one thing in common. No chemicals that will harm you or your children!.

Hope this helps

Rob
Old 15-06-2005, 22:03
Founder

& if the worse comes to the worse & you get bitten badly as I did a few years ago - take an anti-histamine tablet as soon as you can e.g. zirtek. I ended up having to have an anti-histamine injection when my leg swelled up. Still the doctors in PP are very good.
Old 15-06-2005, 22:04
robjay

I shouldn't say this Pollensa and it didn't come from me but...............Ssssssssssh if you take anti-histamine tablets, just before you go on holiday and every day whilst your there8) . The effects of a bite are reduced and also will prevent /ease the effects of prickly heat.
Like vitamin B complex the over use of both of these is not recomended. Ask your Pharmasist . You will find vitamin B complex cheaper at your local chemist shop if you ask the Pharmasist for a supply not the pre packaged stuff and explain what you want it for.

Yours Dr Bob (NOT!!):lol
Old 15-06-2005, 22:20
Sara4

Hi Rob,

Just thought that the reason that Marmite mights work is because it is rich in B vitamins - so effectively, the same thing! Also, the Avon cream does work - but it is the Skin So Soft cream with Woodland Fresh scent.
I wouldn't advocate overusing Vitamin B - I just take the normal one a day tablet.
We have just been talking about Mossies at work and someone else also uses the Anti-Histamine tablets and swears by them - so that must work as well.

Sara
(We might have to start charging for our professional advice - what do you think Rob?)
Old 15-06-2005, 22:46
congokid

This year I tried the B complex method, having read about it here, but I have to say that for me it wasn't effective.

Even though I started taking B complex tablets two weeks before I went in late May, and continued during my stay, I still got several bites both while I was in Palma and PP. I stopped getting bitten only when I started using Autan or the lotion from Boots.

Maybe B complex works best if you're female.
Old 16-06-2005, 00:28
tresspass5

Well thanks a lot to everybody who contributed to answering my query,i think i have plenty to go on,plenty of garlic and marmite,i don't think any one will want to come that close,i am willing to give it all a go,i take anti histamines any way for hay fever,i will give the B complex a try,why shouldn't you take too much of it?,i was only going to use it for our holidays,before and during,i have been having problems getting hold of the tablets that go in the plug ins,has any one whos been to the airport recently seen them there at all,i thought thats where i should get them at an aiport.
Thanks again
tresspass5
Old 16-06-2005, 01:41
Sun Properties

Default Plug-ins

Caprabo and Eroski (SYP) have a good range of the tablets to fit in the plug-ins.

KAB
Old 16-06-2005, 02:22
robjay

Tresspass5 you just have to ask any Pharmacist to make you up enough for your needs. If I remember rightly Vitamin B complex contains a lot of iron (Sara am I right or well out on this one) and too much Iron in your blood is as bad as is too little, something to do with your kidneys ability to function properly( I think). It makes your stools very dark and a little solid which smell strongly of yeast/ Iron :x . It works for me Congokid. And 100% male and 1% Marigold:rollin .

The plugins can also be bought at boots, Superdrugs, Woolworths etc etc etc.

Do make sure when you buy your anti-histamines that they are the non-drowsy type, or you may end up like a good friend of mine..................|I Zzzzzzz all through their holiday :rollin .

Buy yourself an "Afterbite" pen (again in any good chemist shop/outdoor shop) They are fantastic if you do end up getting stung/ bitten for insects and plants (your pretty unlucky if you get bitten by a plant :rollin ).If I'm right they are great for jelly fish stings too. It contains an ammonia based liquid which almost instantly kills the pain and soothes the itch, within minutes you forget you've been stung. I carry one with me whilst out walking in the UK and all the time abroad they are well worth every penny. So good for the kids too, mum, no more hours of tears and discomfort.

Is this turning into a medical advice forum8o ?, do we need one?.
Take care.

Rob
Old 16-06-2005, 02:23
Snowy

I find Stella works well also along with Brandy etc can,t feel any pain and you feel good also.

I am lucky they do not like me Bad Meat.>:
Old 16-06-2005, 08:06
robjay

Well snowy there might be something in your Stella joke. When I went back into A&E tonight I asked the Doctors for their opinion on our Vitamin B complex thing. It seems they all agree and say "there are some people prone to being bitten by mosquito's and some not". Vitamin B complex is listed in the BNF as having Toxic properties. We can't find out what these are. One Doctor thinks you'd have to swallow one hell of a lot to cause her any worries.
On the Avon skin so soft they all agreed IT WORKS A nurse informed me that it's the Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray (white bottle green writing not pink or blue but green!) and yes they had also heard of the Army trials and a Doctor had heard that the army were now "buying it by the bucket load" and yes it does work on Midges!!!.
Now back to Snowy's Stella. It would appear that there is a divide between the smell we sweat and the one we breath out. but all agree it must have something to do with the Yeast/citrus like smell given off by the different products mentioned. so keep breathing out your Stella mate it's good against the Mosquito's!!!!.

Rob
Old 16-06-2005, 11:18

On my side of The Pond, in the original Thirteen Colonies, sprays containing DEET are the best-selling mozzie repellent, but then again, so is my mother-in-law. One scowl from her and the mozzies will quickly flee and never look back.:rollin
Old 16-06-2005, 17:03
Sara4

Hi Rob,

Not too sure about problems with too much Vitamin B complex - but I tend to be anaemic anyway, so anything helps! I would guess that if you find out the types of food that contain the B Vitamins, you can then work out whether you would be taking too much by also taking a B complex tablet. For the purposes of keeping mossies away, taking the tablets is only for a few weeks, so it shouldn't do any harm - never has to our family anyway!
Old 16-06-2005, 17:59
robjay

Sorry folks. What I should have made clear about the problems of the toxicity of vitamin B complex was as Sara hints at, is it's use over a long period of time. Not the amount taken for our annual 2 weeks in the sun.
For that purpose it's pretty safe. Vitamin B complex can normally be found in most multi-vitamin tablets and is there as a supplement to our normal healthy diet.

Glad it works for you and your family Sara, I know it works for me.
Take care.

Rob