Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2005, 19:10
fiesta

Default Pools

Having read about the Jelly fish can anyone tell us if there are public pools in the port?
We are not new to the resort just our accommodation is second line and doesnt have a pool,have heard that at the municipal pool at the back you have to wear goggles and cap and can't see our son going for this much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 24-07-2005, 19:11

Hi fiesta

There used to be a fantastic public pool in El Pinaret but it closed years ago. We used to use it when my children were younger, and it was never busy, apart from when school kids came for swimming lessons. The by pass is now going straight through where it used to be.

There is a very nice pool at Bar Bonanca, and also Balaixa where you can have a beautiful lunch and spend the rest of the day by the pool.

I have just returned from PP, and after starting this thread in June when there was a problem with 'jellies', can now report that the little :evil appear to have gone!

Reat asssured it is now safe to go back in the sea 'de.. da.. de.. da ...deda deda' (that's supposed to be the Jaws theme tune!) and there is always a lovely cooling breeze on the beach which you don't normally get by a pool. Essential in the hot months 8)

Have a great time

Debs
Old 24-07-2005, 20:22
fiesta

Thanks Debs,much appreciated,will heave a sigh of relief and will try out your 2 suggestions too!
x
Old 24-07-2005, 20:23
PennyWhite

Just got back after three weeks yesterday, and was on full jelly fish alert the whole time and didn't see a single one.
We did however make use of the pool at Balaixa, with Sunday lunch, very good combination (and the sangria), also spent a couple of days pretending to be faded movie stars at The Formentor Hotel, 20 euros per person for the day but you get it back on their amazing buffet lunch at Platja Mar restaurant on the beach, good pool, and table tennis, three putting greens and I think crazy golf (son thought it looked boring though, no windmills). Also caused total credit card meltdown with a day at the Son Brull, fab infinity pool and the wonderful spa, massages, geo thermal treatment and the most comfortable sunbeds inthe world, basically double beds with gigantic towels and muslin to shade the sore bits.... totally amazing experience!!!! (memo to self, put in for a pay rise pronto)
Old 25-07-2005, 01:21

Hi Penny

You didn't enjoy your first time in PP much then!!!

Thanks for the info re Formentor Hotel, I never knew you could get a day pass so might well try it. Will definately be doing The Son Brul experience It sounds really amazing and would make a luxurious change from being a beach bum 8)

Would love to hear what else you did...places you visited, restaurants etc and what you overall opinion of PP was.

Are you hooked like the rest of us?

Debs
Old 25-07-2005, 03:29

Default Re : Pools

Hi Fiesta,

I use the municipal pool a lot when I am there cos we have no pool in our appt in town. It's on the backroad in front of the new road where the tennis courts, five a side footy pitch is. It's very clean and great if you just want to go and have good swim but not really the place for lounging round cos there's no shade and hamacas.

They are very strict so no inflatables and you have to wear a swimming hat ( you can buy these in the bar there). Googles are not mandatory. Great for a swim or just jumping or diving in but not as nice as the places mentioned if you want to spend more than an hour there.
At the height of the season it is open 9 -9 but tends to get quite crowded with young kids ( they are strictly controlled) late afternoon. As I say good for an energetic swim. I pay 1.50 euros as a local rate payer but I think the rate for tourists is 4 Euros a day ( presumably cheaper for kids.

Hope this is useful BonysLad
Old 25-07-2005, 22:46
fiesta

Default Re: Re : Pools

Thanks for this,very useful info,might give them all a go if can disconnect son from his bed!
Old 26-07-2005, 00:53
PennyWhite

Still catching up with laundry and aaargh first day back at work, but will go through all the links and give reviews, Son Brull has a website www.sonbrull.com. Joanna the very nice spa lady, speaks perfect english. 16 year old son even had a sport massage for something around 30 euros I think, and they have a laptop compute on a tasteful stone desk at reception he could catch up on Big Brother news and do some msn messenging.
Formentor is definitely worth a visit if the beach is full (and it is filling up fast, bag your sun lounger before 8am!) I thought it might look a bit sad but it is very smart, nice big pool and comfy sun loungers, fabulous garden the the buffet is something else....
Enjoyed the holiday a lot but as family holidays have now just about come to an end probably would go to somewhere smaller and less British - it is a lovely part of the world / island though, lots of wild and beautiful places nearby as well as the Guinness bars, fish and chips etc. Need to work up the restaurant reviews, there were some truly sensational places there....
Old 01-08-2005, 08:13
pops

glad to hear you enjoyed the holiday Penny, however was surprised with your comment about pp being British. sure there are a couple of british bars and restaurants and 'guiness bars'. I think you'll find that whereever you may travel you'll come across an irish bar-and good too-always welcoming and very popular.

have heard PP being described as many things but never as being too British.

pops
Old 01-08-2005, 15:31

Hi Penny,
would appreciate more info on how you arranged the days at Hotel Formentor and Son Brul
Old 01-08-2005, 17:38
Founder

Default Re: Son Brull & Formentor

Hi Penny,

I think we would all be interested in how you arranged Son Brull & Formentor. Please could you post separately to Out & About forum (I think that's the most appropriate).

Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 23:19
PennyWhite

Default Re: Son Brull & Formentor

will do.
Re Britishness, last year we were in Northern Cyprus which had a very big Endligh enclave, but before that Platja de Pals on Costa Brava we went to a few times which had very few Brits and no British bars etc, so we were taken aback a bit.
However, I am sure we will be back to the area, but perhaps towards Pollensa old town more than the beach, or perhaps a hotel somewhere as it will probably just be the two of next time. If we had gone about five years ago we would probably h ave gone every year as it is perfect for a family holiday, particularly when the kids are getting towards teen-dom, and they would appreciate the British element!
It is a beautiful area to go to, particularly if you have a car and get out and about, we were very taken with the mountains and Formentor peninsular and the general well keptness and well workedness of olive groves and orchards etc, I am quite sure we wil be back to explore more, and very soon it won't be in July or August, which would be a bonus I am sure!