Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-2005, 21:00
smiddy

Default Pickpockets Warning

hi guys
Just to issue a warning that i had my handbag dipped on Tuesday evening whilst walking along the front
somewhere between the roundabout and Bon Cepa restaurant
stole my purse which contained keys, cash, credit and debit cards, called the credit card company next morning to find that card had been used twice for 2 relatively small transactions withing 30 minutes of being stolen
also tried to withdraw cash unsuccessfully.
So Please Beware
Sponsored Links
Old 15-07-2005, 21:44
pops

Smiddy
Thanks for the warning. Sorry to hear about your incident. It happened to me in London and it is a horrible feeling and really annoying and time consuming to have to sort out credit cards etc.
Would be a good idea to get locks changed too.
Take care
Pops
Old 16-07-2005, 01:54

Default Pickpockets

Please be very aware that there are lots of "distraction" robberies taking place at present.
A friend lost her handbag with all documents etc in Caprabo. She was distracted by the thief and lost the lot.
Other friends had to pull over after leaving Alcampo. Their tyre had been slashed. Some men stopped "to help" and stole a bag from the front seat.

It's not nice, but we need to be aware.

Cheers!
Frito

P.S. If anyone offers you four Renault wheel trims...they are mine!
Old 16-07-2005, 06:42
smiddy

Default Re: Pickpockets

thanks guys
just annoyed at myself for not being more cautious
no addresses on keys fortunately
Frito
the incident you described also happened to folks we know about 4 weeks ago
but i think it happened on leaving Carrefour
hopefully these incidents are in minority and in my opinion unlikely to be carried out by Mallorquians
Old 16-07-2005, 07:44
pops

We too have been victims of having our tyres slashed. We had just left the ferry from Palma to Barcalona, when we were told to pull over by 2 guys on a motorbike. Fortunately, nothing else happened, but we were left to sort out tyres- not easy on a saturday afternoon when most places were closed.
This happened during the last gulf war and there was a very anti English feeling amongst some parts of the mainland. Mallorca was not effected, and we had no problems there.
However we have been warned on more than one occasion to be careful in Alcampo.
Old 24-07-2005, 20:26
PennyWhite

Just got back after three weeks and had a brill time with no nasties from anyone, however we were burgled on the Costa Brava a few years ago and are always very careful, and subscribe to the credit card cardsafe scheme.
Quite shocked to hear the above, must say.
Old 25-07-2005, 15:22

Met a lady the other day who had been dipped in Paris last weekend.

Also reminded a few years ago in Porto Petro near Cala d'Or a guy in the hotel had been done at a market and I think his hire car keys had gone too.

Always think on that one when I'm at PP market
Old 26-07-2005, 00:45
PennyWhite

I was particularly careful at the market. We tend to just take what we might need in one of those plastic kids things you can go swimming with, just some notes for lunch and hamaca rental and ice cream and coins... save the wallet and plastic for more organised outings.
Old 26-07-2005, 20:00
smiddy

Default Pickpockets Warning!

Received a cheque from my insurance company this morning (Direct Line) less excess. C/C Co. will cover the card loss. Have applied for a replacement drivers licence (£19). If the thief still has my keys, no address, then i reckon he would have to try every Apt/Villa in the port, unlikley.

So, no harm done, just lets all be careful and don't give these rats a chance. Oh, and make sure your insured.
Old 07-08-2005, 17:51
Lady Pollenca

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Just to let everyone know to be extra careful, on arrival at Palma airport went to pick the car up from the carpark and a lady had also had her bag pinched by three teenagers approx 18yrs, police called but they had run off by then. This was middle of July.
Old 22-08-2005, 06:49
loolabell

Just to let you know that I witnessed an attempted handbag snatch in PP last week. It was Market day and I went into a bikini shop on the old main road (couple of doors up from the chocolat patisserie) and fortunately the victim held on for dear life and was screaming for help in Spanish - luckily for her everyone came to her aid and they all managed to hold the middle aged woman until the police arrived.

Surprisingly for me was that the robber was rather smartly dressed, and well groomed - not someone that I would have had my doubts about if she were stood next to me in a shop.

Be careful out there!
Old 30-08-2005, 08:38
Rodney Balboa

Is crime a problem in Pollenca?

We were thinking of holidaying in Pollenca but this thread has put me off.
Old 30-08-2005, 16:30

Don't worry Rodney, there is very little crime in the Port. Obviously you hear about things from time to time, but bye and large you are very safe. Take simple measures to ensure your things are safe; keep passports locked in deposit boxes, don't carry large sums of cash or cards around, lock all your doors etc., but other than that you'll be fine. Come and have a great time
Old 31-08-2005, 07:16
smiddy

Default Pickpockets Warning!

hi there
as mallorcaboy says dont be put off
these are really isolated incidents
we have been to PP for many years
and this is first time that this has happened
hear of stories all the time from friends travelling all over europe, really just have to be careful wherever you are
Old 31-08-2005, 08:02
Lady Pollenca

Default Re: Pickpockets Warning!

Its useless if youv'e been burgled or pick pocketed, I can feel the rose tinted glasses coming out again but probably feel safer in PP than we do at home in the UK.
Closed Thread