Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 19:34
robjay

Default The rich and famous at Palma airport

You know that coffee kiosk just round the corner from the food hall and across from the duty free shopping on the first floor of Palma airport?.
Well believe it or not every time we go there on our way home Caroline seems to recognize at least one famous person standing there.
Last October there were 2 Scottish actors8) 8) and a TV director8) standing chatting in a group of 6 people.
Me I saw 6 people standing in my way!:lol .
I'll never know how she knows who all these people are.
I don't get to just rush past there now.

Have you seen the rich and famous at the airport?.

Rob & Caroline
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 20:41

Default The Rich And Famous At Palma Airport

I sat in front of Colin Salmon on the plane to Palma a couple of years ago...very hunky black actor who often plays detective roles, I think he was in Prime Suspect. Chatted to him most of the journey as his little girl kept throwing her toy rabbit over the chair!! Now I would normally found this fairly irritating >: but on this occasion surprisingly I didn't mind :b
Also used to see Jon Pertwee 15 years or so ago as he had a place in Pollensa. The first time we saw him he was sitting in Cafe Espanol on market day. My daughter who was 6 at the time said "Look there's Worzel Gummidge" and walked into a post!! He jumped up to check she was ok.The interesting thing about all this was my mother went to boarding school with him and claimed to be his first girlfriend ...which he confirmed!!:eek

Also Chelseadons who has just muscled in our my fun says has anybody seen Johnny Haynes ( in 66 World Cup Squad!!) in the Coral Bar? He always seems to be there when we pass.

Debs
Old 03-06-2005, 22:28
robjay

Default Re: The Rich And Famous At Palma Airport

What luck Debs!. Beats seeing the Benny Hill guy :rollin .

Three questions............1. Was there a World Cup in '66?
2. what country did Johnny haynes
play for?.
3. Who won it?

Just kidding Chelseadons :rollin .
To be honest I couldn't tell you what Johnny Haynes looked like. so sorry can't say I saw him and knew it. Mine you the same can be said for all the soap stars. I haven't got a clue:lol .

Keep star watching

Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 23:42

Default Re: The Rich And Famous At Palma Airport

We saw Johnny Haynes some years ago in the old Mibar on the Formentor Road. He was a good friend of an old lady called Christine who was always cycling around the Port. She used to be there from April to September, but I haven't seen her for some time now, nor Johnny. I heard he was living in Scotland
Old 04-06-2005, 01:33

Peter Stringfellow was on the aircraft from London Heathrow last friday 8o where is a littleman with long blond hair when you need one
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41
chelseadons

Trust me Mallorcaboy if you go to the Coral bar on Pine Walk in the summer you've every chance of bumping into Johnny Haynes.

Of more interest to me we saw Graham Le Saux in Pollensa market last June and 5 years ago Steve McManaman in the outside bar at the I'lla D'or where he was staying.

Off to PP tomorrow and as June is a good month for spotting footballers might have more to report on our return !!!

Chelseadons
Old 06-06-2005, 16:30
robjay

Hope your having a good time spotting the players. I hope are you better at spotting the players than some of the players (Beckham) are at spotting the ball:rollin .
As for that old raver Peter8) well there's a mystery. He has been spotted in a certain shop in Puerto Pollensa buying up some cheap plonk:smokin , before heading to the Pollensa music festival. Or has Deep Throat got this one wrong too?.

DT also claims same said businessman:evil :| has been seen being picked up by Mr PS ( both dressed in Platform shoes and white Jackets & white Lycra trousers8) 8) ) as they head off to Magaluf to boogie on down to the early hours. This he explains is the reason for the famous "pledge" smile:| , he's hung over :x and dreaming of converting the Tex-Mex into a Stringfellows but called "stringvestio's"8) . Watch this space!

Rob
Old 07-06-2005, 01:34

Just had a phone call from the owner of Cliva restaurant in Pollensa www.puertopollensa.com/clivia/index.html who was thrilled to tell me that Princess Carolina of Monaco and Prince Ernst of Hannover dined there on Sunday night.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:01
Sun Properties

Default Rich & famous at PMI

Last year whilst waiting for the family at Palma airport I 'bumped' into Richard Branson (and wife) who had flown into PMI from London on an EasyJet flight. A person close to me asked him "why EasyJet" .... reply ... "do you think I would be stupid enough to use one of my own planes when you can get a flight at that price". He needed 2 taxis for his baggage (obviously paid overweight excess) for transport to his boat (Braveheart - £4 mil) in Palma harbour. The guy is, as we all know, well off ... good luck to him on the basis of his choice of a budget airline.

KAB
Old 08-06-2005, 08:07
James

Default Re: Rich & famous at PMI

As a third generation and life long Fulham fan (and also a regular at the Coral) I can confirm that the Maestro himself, Johnny Haynes, is a regular PP'er. I first met him at the Coral in 1987 and he returns year after year.... like the rest of us!!!

Johnny will forever be part of football history as the first player to earn £100 a week, but there was far more to him than the money his talents earned. He turned his back on the fortunes he could have received elsewhere, and remained loyal to Fulham where he spent his entire 18 year career.

Johnny Haynes was the first footballer to appear for England in every class of football available at the time when he represented his country at; school, youth, under 23, `B` and full international level, making his senior England debut, by the time he was 20, and scoring, in the 2-0 win over Northern Ireland. Five years later, in 1960, he was appointed England captain, succeeding Ronnie Clayton but it was events a year later that assured Johnny his place in football history when, following the abolition of the maximum wage, he became the first footballer to earn £100 per week.

1961 was also the year that saw Johnny become a key figure in the England midfield, alongside one of the other great players in Fulham's history, Bobby Robson, when the two players were at the heart of a record sequence of international results, with England winning consecutive matches; 5-2, 9-0, 4-2, 5-1, 9-3 and 8-0. The 9-3 win was over Scotland at Wembley and was perhaps the match in which Haynes was at his zenith. Johnny was also captain of the side in that record- breaking run and while his loyalty to Fulham meant years in the Second Division it certainly didn`t affect his international career. The last 22 of his 56 England appearances, including the 1962 World Cup, were as captain.

It`s most likely that Johnny would have won a greater number of caps but for a serious car accident in August 1962 which kept him out of football for a year. But it didn`t deter clubs trying to sign him and a year later Tottenham Hotspur, probably the best team in the land at the time, tried to sign Johnny with an offer that would have broken the transfer record but he decided to remain loyal to Fulham.

Haynes was a master of the long pass and he could also hit the net as well. In an 18 year league career Johnny scored 159 goals in 594 games and he also hit 18 for England.

After recovering from the accident he resumed his career with Fulham before a free-transfer enabled him to move to South Africa in 1970, where he ended his playing career with a championship medal with Durban City.

Not only did Johnny Haynes pave the way for the vast wages available to modern footballers in this country he also set high profile players on the road to the riches available through sponsorship as he was an early icon for Brylcreem haircream!
Old 10-06-2005, 20:50
smiddy

Nice post James, i was a young lad when England beat us 9-3, i remember i was watching the wrestling on the telly at the time and the commentator said it was 9-3, i honestly thought he was referring to a rugby match! Anyway i've since seen the game and at least 8 of the goals were off-side:lol
Old 16-06-2005, 07:23
James

So England should have won 4-0 then?!?!?!
Old 20-06-2005, 20:44
pops

We,ve seen a few celebs at Palma. Was on the same plane as the girl from changing rooms-can't think of her name, she's blonde and was also on I'm a celebrity get me out of here. They were doing a mallorcan changing rooms.Also last year was on same flight as the hairdresser (male) Nicky -someone can't think of his surname .Sorry I am useless at names but good at spotting people.Also seen the Mallorcan footie team flying out a few times, but 2 christmases ago we landed just before the Real Madrid team, Saw them all with the exception of Becks.
Old 20-06-2005, 23:56
robjay

Pops I'm so glad I'm not the only one that's totally hopeless for remembering names:rollin .
Take care.
Rob
Old 23-06-2005, 18:35
smiddy

Pops, I'm only pulling your leg but the thread does say "Rich and Famous". I could be on a jumbo jet full of "celebrities" from Changing Rooms/Big Brother/Love island etc, and honestly would never know. Think they should ask me for MY autograph! Big Smiddy, contributor to the world famous PP.com:lol