Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2005, 20:02
Coral65

Default Accordion Players CD Sellers etc..

Perhaps I am not entering into the holiday spirit but I have to confess that by the end of two weeks (great as usual in PP) to being slightly irritated by hearing the same tunes every lunchtime and evening and having that leather wallet thrust in my face for money. I have also never seen so many people selling sunglasses and CDs - not what I normally associate with PP. I do hope it is not going to start becoming too commercial.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2005, 00:35
Frank

I agree it is a shame but it is happening and too frequently!
Old 15-08-2005, 01:36

I agree as well.. Its a pain in the neck!

We were in Centric in July and there were quite a few guys trying to flog watches Cd's etc or even worse that dreadful violin playing (screeching :eek ) individual who has absolutely no talent at all and then expects money!

There was one chap showing watches to a large party a few tables away,who to be fair were encouraging him. Suddenly two police arrived and carted him off. He hid his stash under the table after denying he had anything, but a couple of minutes later one of the policemen returned and 'recovered the goods '

These street sellers have gradually got worse over the last 4 or 5 years but hopefully the police presence will help curb it.
Again, like the other problems talked about regarding the Square, it is worse in the height of the season, and one of the reasons we don't go there much at that time:|

Debs
Old 15-08-2005, 01:42

Hi Debs

When we visited in May and ate at La Fortalesa, two young lads arrived carrying a violin and an accordion.

The owner of La Fortalesa let them in and they did play very well - I think they were Russian and they played lovely music.

These aren't the same people are they?

When we were there it made a great end to a brilliant evening and we were happy to put a few euros in their collecting tin, as were the other diners.

But busking and "begging" on the Pine Walk is a different matter altogether.

Jane
Old 15-08-2005, 02:10

Hi Jane

I know the two you mean and yes they are brilliant and as you say its a pleasure to listen to, they are unobtrusive ,and you dont mind sparing a few euro's. If you see, well you'll hear him first,the one I'm talking about,there is no comparison... it sounds like a cat being strangled ...very slowly!!

Debs
Old 15-08-2005, 22:13
robjay

Cats being strangled???????? sure this isn't a certain member of the forum singing gain?:eek :rollin :rollin :rollin

Rob
Old 16-08-2005, 00:17
PennyWhite

There was a guy who played a guitar and sang rather Gipsy Kings sounding stuff at Los Pescadores and another time at Neptune who we thought really added to the atmosphere, the two with the accordion played at Hostal Bahia sometimes and we could hear them and they were pleasant too... some grim chap turned up just before we left and was out and out busking/begging at the end of the Pine Walk who was just awful.
As kids are now moving on from family holidays we look forward to abandoning July and August to those who have to have their holidays then.....
Old 16-08-2005, 02:16

HEY ROB!

Who could that possibly be? :\

I can't imagine !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring back Kareoke I say

Debs
Old 16-08-2005, 05:48

Penny,
I highly recommend it. Our two are old enougth to abandoned. However children are important i.e. chimeney sweeping etc.
Liked your post on 'buggys' Why do mothers who love their children! push the buggy first onto a roadway in order to cross? (Just one of my many rants)

Regards

Grumpy JtheJ
Old 17-08-2005, 23:01
PennyWhite

and then the kids grow up and have their revenge by having a back pack and knocking old ladies over every time they turn round.....
Old 29-08-2005, 06:32

These 2 lads appeared at Neptune one night while we eating and they were sent packing by the staff. They were none too pleased.

Timberman
Old 31-08-2005, 16:08
robjay

Penny if you've read my posting about excess bagage you'll know not to stand near me in Palma airport.My rucksacks a killer I'm worse than those people with buggies!. lol

Rob
Old 31-08-2005, 16:13
robjay

Oh meant to mention the young lad with his mobile fan club (poor wee girl:lol ).
I said to Caroline the first time we heard him play "He sounds like Mark knofflers band...................without the "straights". I gave him 10 euros and asked him to get the other half of his keys fixed. His playing sounded like Blankety Blank!. poor kid's just learning too. One day he may have CD's (to sell) only thing missing was someones singing (but maybe not right now it's not:lol ).
meeeeeeeeeeeooooow

Rob
Old 01-09-2005, 04:45
pops

The lad who plays the violin is really good.After listening to them play. My hubby asked them to play yesterday by the beatles, but only the violinist could play it and it was fantastic.Well worth an extra 5 euros. Problem is for a few nights after we didn't see them together. We were abit worried he'd split the band up.But before we left was pleased to see they were still mates.
Old 04-09-2005, 22:42

We saw the accordion/violin players doing their rounds when we had a drink at the Hotel Daina and although I posted earlier about them playing in La Fortalesa and enjoying the music, I can imagine if you are about frequently on the front promenade it must be a little irritating to see them every night doing the rounds and playing the same music.

When we were in La Fortalesa it was a real delight to hear them play, but their repertoire seems shorter now and the purse comes out a lot earlier.

Also we were surprised to see so many people trying to sell "tat" along the same stretch of walk (jewellery, puppets, hand engravings, etc) and at a risk of sounding like a grumpy old woman, I did wonder whether they were a real benefit to the area.

We never saw anything like that on the Pine Walk proper which was a relief and I could gaze out at the beautiful view uninterrupted!

Jane (alias GOW)