Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2005, 18:22
robjay

Default Travellers Cheque Card

Travellers Cheque Card Information
Going away on holiday soon? Take the new American Express Travellers Cheque Card. This Card is prepaid and reloadable, so you decide how much money you'll need. You can load your Card with a minimum of £200 and up to £3000 (or equivalent in US Dollars or Euro). All it takes to reload is one quick phone call from anywhere in the world. The minimum reload is £50 (or equivalent) and you can reload up to a maximum of £3000 (or equivalent) in any 14 day period.

If your Card is lost or stolen, the remaining funds on your Card - just like American Express Travellers Cheques - can be returned usually within 24 hours. American Express can also help you replace lost passports and major credit/debit cards. Valid for 3 years, it is ideal for multiple holidays, as unused funds can be used the next time you go away.

"The Travellers Cheque Card can be used to withdraw cash from ATMs worldwide (up to £250 per day, or equivalent) and can be swiped like a payment card - making it easy to pay for all kinds of goods and services at millions of retailers, restaurants and hotels.

Carry an American Express Travellers Cheque Card and you can be sure that your Card - and the money it represents - is protected and supported by the American Express 24 hour helpline assistance. You will receive your American Express Travellers Cheque Card 5 - 7 working days from the date American Express approves your order. You can have up to four cards, so your family can carry money safely too."

A friend has just got one of these and swears by it. Has anybody used one, and can you tell us are the good or bad?.

Let us know.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Old 30-08-2005, 20:49
Snowy

Thanks Rob but at £20 a card not cheap also not very good rate of exchange today 1.409 to £ Travelex 1.422.

Anyone flying easyjet look at this

www.easyjet.com/EN/Planni...offer.html
Old 30-08-2005, 21:32
robjay

How much:eek ! per card:eek !. Only one thing I can say.....He's off his head!:lol .

Rob
Old 31-08-2005, 03:11
smiddy

Default American Express Card

Rob, Sounds a goog idea, but in our experiance most restaurants etc, refuse to accept AE. The only one who took ours was Pascalino.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:31
Tangofan

Default Re: American Express Card

Hi this is my first post so I hope it is ok!
Definitely don't go for the Amex Card - it is ridiculous to pay £20 for it (though admittedly some travel agents were offering free Euros to cover the cost) but the charges are similar to debit cards when you withdraw cash on it, ie loading of approx 2.75% AND issuers fee of another approx 2.5%.

Far better to open a Nationwide Account and use their debit card in holes in the wall as they make neither of these charges though it can be dodgy if you lose the card or the machine swallows it etc as they do not offer an immediate replacement service like Amex. If you are ultra cautious (like me) I would recommend getting Euro Amex trav cheques from a commission free place like Thomsons (previously Lunn Poly) or the PO (compare exchange rates though) and then exchange them in Banco Santander (must be Amex cheques I think) in PP free of charge then you are perfectly safe if you lose them and have entirely commission free holiday spending.
I hope this makes sense and is of some help!
Old 02-09-2005, 15:07
robjay

Default Re: American Express Card

Welcome to the Forum Tangofan, Not only am I happy to meet you because of the information You've just given us, not just because I'm guessing either your a fan of that rather refreshing orange drink (better with vodka) or the wonderful resturant that I doubt is named after the orange drink or could it be you just love to dance? Which ever it is WELCOME!

We have over the past few years bought my Amex Cheques from the PO (I didn't realise lunn Poly were commision free) and when in we do use Banco Santander (it has a connection with RBOS). The Teller is a really nice man always has a chat with us when their not too busy and told us once he owns a property he leases to tourists.

Looking forward to hearing more from you Tangofan, Pop into the "Room" some time where we share live information about PP and other things, we're all freindly and enjoy a good laugh.

Take care.

Rob
Old 07-09-2005, 19:48
Tangofan

Default Amercian Express Card

Thanks for the welcome Robjay.

Most definitely not a fan of the orange drink (nor vodka really, more of a wine girl) and I am certainly not a dancer (lol) so the restaurant it must be!
Didin't know about the Banco Santander/RBOS connection but they bought Abbey National a while ago. I sold my free shares in Abbey then because I thought it a bit complicated having shares in a Spanish Bank - wish I had sold them years ago when they were worth a lot more - plenty for lots of great nights out at Tango!

I will pluck up courage to try the chat room soon!