Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2005, 19:55
y parc

Default Rape in Puerto Pollensa

I was horrified to hear that a girl has been attacked and raped in our beloved PP. I have allways felt very safe there and it makes me shudder to even think about it, iwas thinking of coming over by myself for a week as my hubby cant come until the second week but now i am having second thoughts about it.
According to the news she was pulled in from a shop doorway and raped by four men.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-05-2005, 22:41
Founder

For those that haven't heard - the story is here news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4558233.stm As I understand it happened after a visit to Chivas & involves staff from there.

Until this is investgated, we don't know exactly what happened. As horrible as this is, it really is no worse as to what can happen in the UK & perhaps reminds us all that we shouldn't behave any differently on holiday than we do at home and should always take care.

Please don't let this put you off visiting the resort. We actually hear of far less crime in PP than we do in the UK & indeed other areas of Spain.
Old 20-05-2005, 01:16
chelseadons

I agree Pollensa. My wife and i have spent late nights in Chivas ( not for a few years I hasten to add) and my daughters frequent it every year. As with most of Pollensa the bar staff have always been fine and very friendly. This is a very strange story indeed but shouldn't stop anybody going to PP....... and if necessary being out until the early hours !!

Chelseadons
Old 20-05-2005, 05:24
woosiex1

Default Rape

Sadly this story of rape in PP has reminded my husband and myself of our ordeal in May (2004).
We have spent the last five years having two holidays a year in PP and take our family with us staying in a villa.
Last year our youngest daughter (aged 29 years) decided to go to Chivas for the night life for the first time in all the times we had holidayed in PP.
We were a little anxious about leaving her to make her own way 'home' via taxi but, she is a grown woman.
I awoke about 6am and was disturbed by the fact that she was not back and that her mobile was unobtainable.
All we could do was sit and hope to hear from her.
This did not happen. We were located by the local hospital that our daughter had been found unconscious with a head injury which had obviously been caused by a strike to the head and also by someone who had been wearing a ring which had cut her just on the eyebrow which had to have 5 stitches. Her purse had been stolen and some of her clothing was not found including one of her shoes - which need to be removed as she had been wearing trousers.
We wanted her to report the rape which we believe from her pain and discomfort, had been gang rape.
She couldn't face this, it was to painful for her to go through it all again and who would believe her in a foreign country?
We were due to fly home 3 days later and we just reported her purse as stolen in the hope that it may turn up, it didn't.
This has obviously had a lasting affect on her and we do believe that it was a date rape drug that was used as she had not had a great deal to drink.
We will return to PP again as normal, but, there will not be that 'safe' feeling of being able to go for a wander or indeed let our grandchildren of 15 years and above go off on their own whilst we relax on the beautiful seafront whilst the younger ones play on the beach where we can watch them.
This is a beautiful part of the Island but what is going to be done in order to keep it so?
For the sake of my daughter I am not leaving my name and yes, some will say that she should have reported it to stop it happening again but she felt violated and could not talk about it even to us, her parents, because it was all so real every time she tried to just brought it all back to her.
Old 20-05-2005, 16:44
klad1

Default Re: Rape

I have sons but this does make me very upset. For the sake of your grand-daughters and other family's female relations you should have reported this, particularly in the light of the recent occurrence, it is not too late.

My heart goes out to your daughter but is she really better off burying such a distressing memory and knowing the perpetrators are still at large.

I hope I have not offended you, but by raising the issue you were bound to elicit comments.
Old 20-05-2005, 20:41
woosiex1

Default Re: Rape

You have not offended me as I do agree with you but as I said, she is of age to make her own decisions and I feel that had it have happened at the beginning of the holiday that the outcome would have been very different. She was unable to give a good description other than the person had dreadlocks. It appears that she just had flash backs to the whole incident but not a lot to go on.
She made a brave decision before we left for home and accompanied by her sister she went back to try and identify the parts that she could remember.
I hasten to add that she has had counseling and it has helped but she does feel her own guilt at not reporting this but it's the same old story, not enough evidence and in a foreign resort and only a couple of days before home would have meant her going through with something that she only had flash back's of.
This is how we concluded that it had been a rape date assault.
Old 20-05-2005, 22:10
smiddy

Default Date Rape

It's a shocking crime, the reason we all love PP, is it has always been such a safe place. I pray these are isolated incidents and there are no repeats, god, we have enough lunatics roaming the streets in our own country. Would be interesting to find out the truth. IF, it was something to do with the staff at Chivas then i would suspect there are more victims who havn't come forward. Scum like this think they can get away with it all the time. Here's hoping they're locked up for the rest of they're natural life. It's the most despicable crime and they deserve nothing less.

Sorry girls but if i were you i'd steer clear of the place, i'ts just not worth it.
Old 21-05-2005, 01:52
Zan de Man

Default Re: Date Rape

I find woosiex's story shocking and my heart goes out to her, her daughter and her husband, but I don't believe PP is any more dangerous than home. When I moved to Surrey from Northern Ireland in 1994, I lived in Bookham for a year and I now live in Dorking. Both are attractive, quiet and mostly very safe. Yet look at what happened to poor Abigail Witchalls the other week.

It was horrific, but it doesn't make me feel less safe in Surrey.
Old 21-05-2005, 04:17
JMD40

Again, many sympathies for all those affected by these terrible crimes wherever and whenever they happen - I have lived here for over 20yrs and have always felt very safe and now having a teenage daughter one does wonder how safe `safeŽis??? On a positive note, the police seem to have done a good job, catching the B******`s promptly, however they have all been released on bail. The local community is talking of nothing else, one of the accused being a son of a well known wealthy local family and it appears drug abuse is being blamed. Rumours do run rife at these times but it appears that this is maybe not an isolated case so perhaps anyone else who has anything to report could still do so . . . .We can only hope now that the punishment will fit the crime and this will send out a warning message to anyone else who thinks they can get away with such an awfal crime. >:
Old 21-05-2005, 07:32
smiddy

JMD40, Suppose we must be carefull and not take a knee-jerk reaction to this, but the fact their are 4 accused would suggest it was pre-meditated. To the girls affected, please rest assured you have you have our heartfelt sympathy.

Drug related? No defence. I too have a teenage daughter, how uncomfortable does that make me, and all the other parents feel, coming on holiday this summer knowing the accused may still be at large. PP has a major problem on its hands.
Old 21-05-2005, 15:08
woosiex1

Default date rape

In answer to the last entry regarding this henious attack on a young girl/woman in PP. One of the things that my daughter said at the time when it happened to her was, 'with no descriptions what would the police in do?' Now I question that, for we did want her to report it but if the police have picked up 4 people and bailed them, out into society, what chance did she have to get the offenders picked up?
We will be back again this year and our grandchildren always come with us and the 18 year old grand daughter
couldn't wait to come back as she is now of age to be able to go to a night club, we have to say no.
This must not allow us to dwell on the crime as we know, here in our own country, that these crimes are sadly frequent but PP has always been to us a safe haven with no 'lager louts', ideal for all age groups. Our grandchildren range from a 2 year old upto 18 and there are 7 of them who have all been allowed to play on the beach within our sights whilst we relax and enjoy what is going on around us. (the 2 year old only goes to the beach with an adult).
We do, however, have to try to overcome the feelings that we have of uncertainty and not let these people affect our enjoyment of such a beautiful resort as PP, but will we feel like this if, when we come over later in the year, these dreadful people are still on the loose?
Woosix1
Woosie
Old 21-05-2005, 21:24
tresspass5

would somebody tell me where Chivas is,as we are out in 6 weeks with two daughters,one 31,one 18 who want to go out one night,just so they can avoid it.
Thanks
Tresspass5
Old 22-05-2005, 03:26
smiddy

Default Chivas Nightclub

Trespass,

It's at the top of the square, to the right, to be honest i'ts about the size of a decent living room, i'm sure over the years, many of us have great times in there, my son and his girlfriends would always go there every night, and have no bother. Would like to think this is a case of a couple of particular very nasty individuals. Don't know what the clubs in Alcudia are like, if the girls fancy going there.

Suppose it's the same advise as U.K, NEVER leave your drink unattended and keep an eye on whoever is serving you.
Old 22-05-2005, 04:14
tresspass5

Default Date rape

smiddy
i am sure you are right,we lived in london for many years so have been used to taking care,but moved the younger daughter away when she was 11,so shes not used to having to take care,but i don't want to be alarmist,shes not the clubby type any way,but as shes away with her big sister whos older she wanted a night out,maybye they could try alcudia or as you say watch their drinks,they havn't shown any interest in going to chivas so i am hopefully worrying needlessly,i suppose its more worrying in the light of the other ladies story concerning her daughter,the same time last year.
tresspass5
Old 22-05-2005, 06:50
chelseadons

Default Date rape

We have been holidaying in PP for 17 years since our children were 8 and 6 (twin girl and boy). They have befriended a lot of the local lads, and we would consider them (and their parents) close friends.
Chivas really is not this den of iniquity it is being portrayed as. With any nightclub you are going to have certain unsavioury people frequenting it but on the whole it is fairly innocent.

I would not recommend Alcudia as a safe alternative.. too many clubs and more rowdy (for want of a better word !) Far better to keep them close in PP, but do what you would do in England. Arrange to pick them up at a set time or tell them never to walk home alone.
Closed Thread