Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   A Shiatsu message (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/2229-shiatsu-message.html)

robjay 08-10-2005 18:59

A Shiatsu message

How many people have walked past the little Japanese man sitting out side the little house on the pine Walk with his sign that reads "Shiatsu Masage"?
Has anybody else stopped?
Well I did and I'd like to tell you about it. but first a little background.

Background:
About 7 years ago I was involved in a "Hit & Run" whilst cycling my mountain bike to work early one morning. I was thrown through the air for a distance of about 30 feet. What saved me was the fact that my large rucksack was packed to the brim with my clean uniforms and I luckily landed on my back. I ended up in A&E, I had 3 cracked ribs and massive soft tissue damage to my right arm, shoulder, chest and back and to my right leg and a bump to me head ( yes that explains my drivel:lol ). I was really really lucky to be alive, I was of work for almost 3 months and on very strong painkillers whcih had bad side effects. 7 Years on and I was still taking the maximum dose of Ibuprofen everyday in life and still suffering severe pain with my shoulder. with some restriction on movement. A year ago I had it re X-Rayed, I have calcification in my right shoulder.

Shiatsu:
We'd walked past the Shiatsu man many times during our stay in August this year, I kept saying I should give him a try see if he can ease my shoulder. well one day I did. I explained my background to the poor bloke and asked if he could help. he instructed me to sit in the chair and remove my top. In the next 15 minutes I felt the most unbelievable sensations in my right arm shoulders and neck the worst being a sensation that the socket of my right arm was on fire. he was doing to that area what i'd never have let my GP even try! I gave the nice man his money and a very large tip, put on my T-Shirt and walked off down the Pine Walk.
Did it work?
Oh yes it did, I have regained mobility and have been pain free for the past 7 weeks. Now take into account the cost of had I been taking 8 Ibuprofen tablets every day for the past 7 weeks then only on a financial basis I have saved money. My life has become so much better being pain free and the benifits to my health not taking so many painkillers must be good.

I plan to re-visit this kind gentle man when we're out next week, to thank him for all he has done for me and to have another Shiatsu massage.

Take care.

Rob

Timberman 08-10-2005 19:15

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear of your pain all these years. I saw some Japanese giving massages to the neck and back in Pollensa old town on market day, there was quite a demand for them, so they must work. Having had a motor bike for 6 or 7 years in my younger days I seemed to spend more time in A & E than on my bike I had to see physio's etc wish I'd known about these massages then. Hope it solves your problem permanently.

Timberman

robjay 08-10-2005 19:22

Thanks TM, I know what you mean about the bikes. So far touch wood it's helped my stay pain free.
Take care.

Rob

PennyWhite 09-10-2005 00:36

The Shiatsu man was next door to us, we were on the second floor in the apartment block next to him and were fascinated with what went on,my son in particular who had some minor rugby injury; he finally plucked up courage to have fifteen minutes worth, as long as I went along and sat alongside him! he did seem a very nice man with a very nice manner, James wasn't too sure it had made a lot of difference, but he hasn't complained abouthis sore shoulder for a long time now. We were pleased to see as the season built up a bit he seemed to have a bit more business. The whole business of 'laying on of hands' is very relaxing and good for all kinds of things like blood pressure etc even if it doesn't necessarily cure the sore bits. Glad to hear he is still going strong!

its cd 09-10-2005 05:36

Rob

Agree with you about this guy ............. he worked a bit of magic for me also ............... I have seen this guy for the past few years but always just walked past......... anyway, when we were out in June I had been suffering from a minor but niggling pain in my right shoulder with an accompianing ache in my right arm ........... so I went to see him

Well he did his usual nexk and shoulder massage, I didn't notice immediate relief .... but did feel great afterwards ......... but the pains slowly lessened over the next couple of days and have never returned

But that is not the amazing thing .............. whilst he was dealing with my shoulder , he told me that I had had previous back problems and asked whether or not I wanted him to see what he could do to help ............

He was correct ............ I had an operation 3 years ago to remove much of an exploded disc in my lower back ...... prior to the operation, this disc had been pressing on my nerve ending and has left me with some residual damage which means I have some numbness to my left leg and foot

I agreed to let the Shiatsu man have a go at my back / leg ( not sure whether this was a foolish move or not really )

Anyway, he massaged my lower back and within 24 hours I saw a definite improvement in the flexibility, strength and feeling in my leg ........... all of which has remained with me.

I too will be going back to see him

And the strange thing is that I have never really been up for this type of thing .... thought it was all mumbo jumbo ......... have really changed my opinion now

robjay 10-10-2005 02:44

Well CD I'm glad I'm not the only one in the Forum walking around pain free thanks to this "Gentle" man.

Take care.

Rob

its cd 11-10-2005 01:03

Shiatsu

Rob,

Check out the latest copy of the "talk of the North" ........ there is an article re the Shiatsu Man ...... who I now know is called "Yuki"

pollensa 11-10-2005 02:59

Re: Shiatsu

See www.puertopollensa.com/talkofthenorth/issue3/index.html#6 for the article.

Sara4 11-10-2005 19:14

Re: Shiatsu

Some members of our group had a Shiatsu massage at Sineu market last year and felt great. We decided against going to the market again this year (gone very busy and all the tour buses have ruined it from a lovely traditional market!) and there were a few sulks as they wanted a massage again. We were delighted to see a man and lady at Pollensa market and we went. Even I had one and it was great - would highly recommend it and will definitely have it done again next year.