Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 04:39
Linzzzz

Default Habla Espanol?

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any good CD-Rom Spanish learning tools. I've done a bit of research on Amazon, EBay etc. but not sure which companies are the best. Anyone tried any of these? I thought I might try this method rather than sitting in a classroom type environment, and seeing as I spend so much time at the computer anyway. :rolleyes
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2005, 04:40
robjay

Ok Linzzzz, Now this is very much untried territory, but I have heard the the Michael Thomas method is very sucessful, I must confess as to never having tried it YET.
It will once again appear at No1 spot on my letter to Santa. But I keep telling him he could buy it oh so much cheaper on E-Bay (half price)
Here's the deal which ever one of us gets it first we let the other know how good or bad it is. OK?:rollin
Take care.
Rob
Old 01-10-2005, 05:09

Default Re Habla Espanyol?

We have the first two Michael Thomas CD's and they are excelent. It is an extremly clever method of learning.
Old 01-10-2005, 15:11
robjay

Default Re: Re Habla Espanyol?

Thank you for your advise Mallorcaboy I've found it very helpful.
You can buy the 8 hour Michael Thomas course on CD's for about 37 pounds on E-Bay. I hope one of my family are reading this!!!!!:rollin :rollin .
Take care.

Rob
Old 02-10-2005, 03:39
Linzzzz

Thanks for the advice guys. I've found the Michael Thomas stuff on Amazon for 45 dollars - didn't check EBay yet. Have also found something called the Pimsleur Approach which apparently teaches the FBI & CIA, for only 20 dollars. Dunno if that's a good recommendation seeing as tho' they still haven't found Osama :rollin
Then there's the Rosetta Stone courses which are very pricey at 300 dollars.
Hmmm..... what to do, what to do .... *scratches head*
Old 02-10-2005, 03:40
robjay

Try E-Bay linzzzz
But most of all let us know how you get on.

Rob
Old 03-10-2005, 19:04
Sara4

Started Michel Thomas and found it to be very interesting but I did already have some knowledge of spanish anyway. I went to nightschool years ago with my dad and we both took a Spanish conversation course, which we did for two years.
My husband swears by Linguaphone and his spanish is brilliant.
Old 03-10-2005, 19:15

I also tried Michel Thomas to try and improve my '2 year O level course ' Spanish . Think it is a very clever method but found his voice...all slurpy and horrid ..and had to stop as he made me feel sick!! Malc and I have promised to try again so are taking the cd's out to PP with us next week...I could think of more fun things to do

My daughter became fluent after a year in Mexico as part of her Spanish degree course ..thats the way to do it!!

So thats sorted then if we all move to PP we'll be fluent in no time

Debs
Old 03-10-2005, 23:32
robjay

I'll have to keep my eyes open for any second hand copies of the 8 Hour CD version of Micheal Thomas Spanish course.
Take care.

Rob
Old 04-10-2005, 07:38
Linzzzz

My dilemma is that I did a Spanish course about 20 years ago (blimey was it that long ago :eek ) ... anyway ... so I took it up to intermediate level, so I'm not a complete beginner, and I don't want to repeat stuff I've already learned.

Funny thing ... I did a search on EBay for Michael Thomas and I kept getting stuff for Patrick Michael Thomas from Miami Vice. :rollin
Old 04-10-2005, 17:07
Sara4

It is Michel Thomas not Michael.

We are no language experts, but if you already have knowledge of spanish then you might be better going for something like Linguaphone or something similar - maybe check out your local bookshop. We have a Borders near us and they have a fantastic language section.
Old 31-10-2005, 07:47
Acorncup

Hi, there is also a Michel Thomas advanced level course, which might be better if you have some knowledge already.

We've found the advanced ones on eBay don't go for much less than Amazon, so we decided to go for a brand new one.

(Hubby did Spanish GCSE at evening classes, and is now having ago at AS level!)
Old 31-10-2005, 08:40
robjay

Only in the interests of research I am willing to try to learn Spanish via the Michel Thomas 8 hour course.
Now could anybody give me a copy of the cd 8 hour course. Just let me know how much you want for the cd's.
Contact me via my EZ Inbox

Rob
Old 01-11-2005, 09:53
Linzzzz

I actually bought a cheapo CD-rom on EBay - The Learning Company - but it's a bit basic for me to be honest. I'll see how I get on with it - if I like the method, I'll get the Level 2.