Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Fly or Drive??? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/2217-fly-drive.html)

JH02JLH 31-10-2005 03:41

Fly or Drive???

Ok Folks! I need some advice!

I have just booked a villa for next July and am in two minds whether to fly or drive to Mallorca.

I have checked out flights and car hire today and was a bit shocked to find Air Berlin wanted £700 for 4 flights, plus about £260 for a hire car (plus the new car hire tax??) on top.

Now, I am not intending to save huge amounts of money by driving as we will need to go via Eurotunnel and ferry to Mallorca, plus tolls, diesel and overnight stops.

But the idea is very tempting!

Advantages for driving would be:

Own car
Freedom of the open road (!)
We can take as much stuff as we want
Bring as much wine back as we want
Not being herded about like cattle
A Big Adventure!
Take a longer holiday!

Advantages for flying would be :

Very quick
A 2 hour flight rather than a 2 day journey
Ummmmm - can't think of any more

So over to you guys and gals! (By the way, this is not a wind-up and polite answers only please Timberman and Snowy!)

Jane:D

Portofan 31-10-2005 03:42

No Jane I have said don't do it!

But that is a personal view.

You might get cheaper flights on www.elasticband airlines .com

Rob will tell you where the elastic comes from!;)

Kind regards

Porto

JH02JLH 31-10-2005 05:12

Hi Portofan (it's Sunday),

I looked up www.elasticbandairways.com but couldn't find them.

Do they fly out of Luton or Stansted?

They don't sound too safe to me and I would rather trust my faithful steed.

Jane:rollin

In all seriousness - I would like some good advice - especially from anyone who has travellled the HUGE distance to Barcelona and caught the fast ferry to Alcudia!!!

(I mean, I know it's a bit like going to the ends of the earth where you see signs saying "Here Be Dragons").

debz1 31-10-2005 08:34

I agree with Porto Jane ..don't do it!!

You are so near to Luton and should be able to get Sleasyjet
flights much cheaper than Air Berlin ..if you book early .With 2 young children a ferry, overnight stop and a car journey does not make for a relaxing start to your holiday!

robjay 31-10-2005 08:35

Hi All,
Fly or drive? Is this a bit like chips or dad?

For me the choice is easy:

Fly Option: 3/4 hour drive to airport parking, 2 hours relaxing in departure lounge, 3 and a bit hours with couple of young kids in the seats behind me with www.elasticbandairlines.com, 1 hour trying to get out of Palma Airport and a Taxi trip of 3/4 hour. End result in under 7 hours I'm sitting on the pine walk, chilled out sipping on a jug of Sangria.

Drive Option: 2 Days driving, 2 young kids sitting in the seats behind me. I have lost count of the comfort breaks, refuel & feed stops I've had to make, My legs, back & arms ache, The car and passengers smell like a wrestlers changing room. End result over the past 2 days, I'm sitting on the pine walk gulping down the JD's, stressed out and dreeding the return trip.

Now which do you think I'd choose?

Rob

JH02JLH 31-10-2005 08:52

Rob,

:rollin

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to lose this one???

Just get me the right address for elasticband airways can you?

I think I need that JD now!

Jane ;)

The Wob 31-10-2005 19:33

I had a brief look at the driving option as I wanted to bring some stuff with me next spring. The ferry crossing alone was 800 Euros! I'm sure there may be better deals though.

graham 31-10-2005 19:46

Agrre with everything said in favour of flying. And Europacar (not Europcar) at Palma have amazing prices on car hire. You can book through carjet.com.

By the way, does anyone know when the easyjet fares become available for next summer????

Graham

JH02JLH 01-11-2005 01:48

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your replies - the price for the car was through Carjet - for a Ford Focus Estate which I didn't think was bad. With Hertz it worked out at £387.

I had a look at Easyjet yesterday and I think the flights only went up to May - but don't take this as gospel.

I couldn't get any prices for the ferries to Mallorca as they only went up to March of next year.

One thing that did surprise me was the Eurotunnel prices. For the days I looked at, each way was just £49 - a total of £98 for the two crossings, which is the same as a daytrip.

Still thinking though! One thing hubby said to me this morning was for me to drive on my own while he takes the kids! Now that is tempting!

How does that song go - "I Was Lost in France...."

Mmmmmm!
Jane:D

PS - Had another look at the Easyjet flights tonight :rolleyes and I couldn't book past March 06. Just have to play the waiting game.

Timberman 01-11-2005 02:34

Hi Jane

I promise to be polite. Don't do it. The excitement of going will make it seem ok but the long return journey will not be so exciting, and if you do fly still take a longer holiday but spend it relaxing instead of being stressed driving. I once drove to the South of France and by the time i negotiated Paris in the pouring rain I was already wishing I had flown.

You Know it makes sense.

You could always ask Porto, maybe he could fly you in his private jet.:lol

Timberman

Portofan 01-11-2005 03:11

Re:Fly or Drive

I have said my bit on this.

However Timberman would appear to be making some inference linking my private transport with Elasticband Airlines.:eek

Whether transport is the consideration or whatever use the elastic is for safety must always remain the top priority. The use of inferior quality could be extremely dangerous. >D

JH02JLH 01-11-2005 04:04

Re: Re:Fly or Drive

What none of you know is that when I was a child, most of my holidays were spent driving abroad - to Spain, Italy and the South of France.

That's why I associate driving with holidays and not hard work.

Nothing beats packing up the car, taking as much stuff as we could squeeze in and then catching the midnight ferry from Dover.

Ok, I wasn't driving but my dad enjoyed it and we had some real adventures on the way and found some beautiful little hotels that we would never have seen otherwise.

And as for that roadside cafe, a cold drink and a baguette! What more could you want!

Here's hoping:\
Jane

chelseadons 01-11-2005 07:02

Fly or Drive

Graham

Easyjet flights are out now only until March 06. The summer flights normally come out around Christmas. You can subscribe to Easyjet who will email you advance warning. We simply go in everyday from about the 15th December. You have to be quick though, the really cheap flights are normally gone in a couple of days for the height of the summer.

Chelseadons

debz1 01-11-2005 07:39

Re: Fly or Drive

Well you've blown our chance now for being in at the kill !!!!!...well done >:

robjay 01-11-2005 19:33

Re: Fly or Drive

Do I hear thunder? or is it just the stampede as everybody rushes to get registered for the easyjet newsletter?:lol

Rob