Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2006, 06:47

Default MOZZIE AND SPIDER ALERT

Due to unseasonally hot weather, there is a problem with mosquitos and spiders. Check out page on Majorca paper. (if I could work out how to cut and paste, Id put it here!) What with jelly fish and now these - the wild life are fighting back!!0]
Sponsored Links
Old 30-05-2006, 06:48
med777

I keep getting bitten...def NOT mozzies, cos I come out in welts with them....and missed it in the paper...is it in the online version ?

med777
Old 30-05-2006, 06:52
med777

Bd.....Highlight the bit u want to copy..then control+c.
Then go to where u want to copy it to.....and control+v

UNSEASONABLY HOT WEATHER BRINGS OUT INSECTS IN FORCE
Majorca under attack from mosquitoes and spiders
MAJORCA is under attack from mosquitoes and spiders who have appeared earlier this year because of the unseasonally hot weather. “It is not normal to have so many insects at this time of the year,” said a spokesperson for the health department at the Palma city council yesterday. The council has been forced to take urgent action sending inspectors armed with biological sprays to humid areas in an effort to destroy breeding areas. The Playa de Palma, home to the popular tourist resorts of Arenal and Ca'n Pastilla is one of the of the areas of the city which has been worst affected by the mosquito plague. “The humid areas around Son Jordi,(next to the airport and close to the Playa de Palma) are important breeding grounds for mosquitoes,” said the council spokesperson, who called on the public to take all the necessary precautions. As regards spiders the council said that they were also targetting their breeding grounds.
The council said that they had received more than 100 calls so far this year from people complaining about mosquitoes and spiders.
May has been unseasonably hot with some of the highest temperatures on record. Earlier this month Sa Pobla reported a maximum temperature of almost 40 degrees, almost an all time record for May. The hot weather is also causing a few heachaches for the Gas and Electicity Board (GESA) whic has seen demand for eletricity rocket over the past few weeks as people turn on their air conditioning units. Demand for electricity has been gradually increasing the in the islands over the last five years largely because of the weather. Most homes in the islandshave air conditioning and central heating a state of affairs which was almost unheard off 10 years ago. The good weather is expected to continue throughout this week and into June.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:23
seanie59

Anyone know of the current state of Mozzies and Spiders? We are due to go on 1st July and I cant stand spiders and my wife is already itchin because of Mozzies! Just how big are the 8 legged monsters out there?
Old 27-06-2006, 18:43

Hi, i was there at begining of June and stayed in a rural area. Never saw any spiders at all. We bought the plug in jungle fever mozzie thingies (get them from savers drug store much cheaper) and we never had one insect flying or other wise come in, despite having doors and windows open all the time! We got one for each bedroom and one for the lounge. They were excellent.

Hope this put your mind to rest.

Sally
Old 28-06-2006, 08:05
seanie59

Thanks Sally. I can unpack my Biological warfare suit now and breathe a little easier!!
Old 01-07-2006, 17:34

Just got back. Went well armed, but didn't see (or hear!) any mozzies. No sign of spiders either.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:50

Sandy,

Thanks for that. Even as a seasoned Scot, I hate the blighters.

Regards

jimbo
Old 10-07-2006, 17:24
loolabell

Default bitten alive!

Just got back from PP, we stayed on the Pinewalk, and although we didn't see any spiders, I was eaten alive on the first night and woke up with 45 mozzie bites! We normally plug in, but as we had a newborn, we were advised not to use these in the same room. First time in 5 years that we have been bitten.

My 2 daughters did use a plug in, in their room, they too were bitten although not as much as me.

Got a feeling we were probably bitten on the beach during the day and they came out in the evening. The local mini magazine suggests to not wear perfume or aftershave, as they love this. HTH