Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   PP - a leopard really doesn't change its spots (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/2126-pp-leopard-really-doesnt-change-its-spots.html)

its cd 29-07-2006 05:52

PP - a leopard really doesn't change its spots

I nearly didn’t post this thread for fear it may rake up some of the previous bad feeling that has thankfully gone ……….. but I decided I would because it is intended to be a positive post and will hopefully remove any lingering doubts people may have had.

I have just returned from PP …….. despite having been >15 times over the years I had never been in July, so didn’t really have any first hand experience of PP in the really high season.

In the past year there have been some posts about The Square becoming less like a great family place where children can play safely, and about a more raucous, singles type atmosphere prevailing. There have also been the debates about a change in the types of visitors and of course heated debates about the new eatery at the start of the pinewalk.

So, I for one did have a lingering doubt ( not a big one but it was nagging away in the back of my mind ) that my beloved PP wouldn’t be what I expected when I arrived in July ……….. I am soooooooooo happy to say that I should have been ashamed of myself …………. Beautiful, majestic leopards really don’t change their spots.

Yes it was busy, but considering it was also Fiesta week, it wasn’t too busy

Yes the new eatery was there, and of course I would rather it wasn’t and all of the things previously debated, but it isn’t an eyesore and really doesn’t “lower the tone”

The square was as it has always been , a place for families, a safe haven for kids to play ….. I guess the most dangerous things being the firecrackers which, being Fiesta week, were being set off by local kids and holidaying kids alike.

And it was only on the very last day that I saw the first pair of union jack shorts !!!:rollin :rollin :rollin

For me the acid test is if most of the time, the people at the next table when you are having dinner, the people you get chatting to on the beach or by the pool, the people you say Buenos Noches to on your evening stroll, the kids your kids get friendly with are people who you would be happy to spend time with in your normal everyday life
( and just to be absolutely clear, when I talk about people I would be happy to spend time with, I am not talking about wealth or class here , I am talking about general standards of behaviour and attitude, something that costs nothing and means everything.) ….. then you are in the right place for you , and thankfully PP still pushes all of those buttons for me and mine.

And I have been home 48hrs and want to go back NOW

Jimbo the Jambo 29-07-2006 05:53

cd,

Well said, thank you.

I've been there, and to my shame sometimes responded wrongly to some idiots!! to the extent that, now we shifted to September for our 'jollies' to avoid trouble.
Sounds promising.

Regards

Jimbo

griffo 31-07-2006 19:41

Totally agree with all thats been said and didnt see anything that would put off going again in July.

graham 31-07-2006 20:48

What a great post. Couldn't agree more. We were there for two weeks and -yes - it was busy- but it still has everything it ever had.

bonez1977 01-08-2006 22:29

Well cd
What a wonderful picture you gave me of my fave place in the world. you did PP proud with that lovely post !!
Bonez x

Lady Pollenca 02-08-2006 01:50

Hi
Could't agree more just returned from PP and still as charming as ever:D

translatorman 02-08-2006 20:35

Couldn't agree more. We're just back from 2 weeks in PP, and spent some time exploring the SE coast. Despite finding some lovely resorts (Portocristo, Porto Colom), we found ourselves saying, "yes, but they haven't got..." and mentioning another of the little things we love about PP.

It's still the place to be!

allanglens 02-08-2006 21:22

Exactly. We have been to PP around 10 times in the past 20 years, and every time we do a tour we end up comparing the destination (unfavourably) with PP. It is the yardstick by which all other summer holidays are judged.

This year, just for a change, we are coming over in October, rather than our usual early July summer break. It will be interesting to see how differnt the resort is right at the end of the season compared with the Glasgow Fair fortnight.

I just hope the weather won't be too bad!

allanglens

illador 02-08-2006 22:00

PP aleopard really doesn't change its spots

Interesting that you mention Glasogw fair. In all the years I've been coming to PP I've often wondered quite what the Scottish connection is and why it's so popular with our mates from north of the border. Can anyne enlighten me?

sandy 02-08-2006 22:43

Re: PP aleopard really doesn't change its spots

As one of the southern contingent of the forum members, based on the south coast, I've always wondered why there are so many members from north of the border. I'm beginning to feel quite lonely!

Belladonna 02-08-2006 22:44

Ah Sandy, Im a Southerner too - not quite coastal its true - but South non the less! Remember - its not the quantity that counts - but the QUALITY!!!! :lol

pollensa 02-08-2006 23:05

Please can you stay on topic re PP - do start another thread on North-South in Happy Hour, if you like.

Thanks.

allanglens 02-08-2006 23:52

I have absolutely no idea why PP is so popular with the Scots. I suspect that it may have been 'discovered' first by the Glasgow professional classes as an up-market holiday destination in the 1950's / 60's, and spread by word of mouth from there. Strangely enough I don't know if it is as popular with the Edinburgh crowd. Or maybe they visit at different times!

Certainly I do know that it has been popular from my parents generation onward, with a number of my friends and clients commenting that they used to holiday there as children, or that their parents went to PP for breaks, etc.

However it comes about, I can be sure that in any week over the summer I will run into one or two acquaintances any time I am in PP.

allanglens

curlytom 03-08-2006 04:19

PP ALEOPARD REALLY DOESN'T CHANGE ITS SPOTS

One of the reasons why PP is popular with the Scots these days could be due to the fact that Globespan operates there and offers some very cheap flights, cheap transfers and also good accommodation with the surchages which other companies impose on their fares from Scotland.

Before the days of Globespan there was a company called Parasol Holidays which offered quite a selection of holiday property in PP.

Also, of course it just a wonderful place and the Scots have good taste!

smiddy 03-08-2006 05:15

PP

The scots have always been excellent explorers. :lol I tend to concur with Allanglens, it was very popular with the Glasgow middle-classes way back and it's just grew from there.