Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Old Puerto Pollensa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/2108-old-puerto-pollensa.html)

eckmo 25-10-2006 03:28

Old Puerto Pollensa

Hi all,
I'm off back to PP and Majorca, early next month, for the first time since 1961. I imagine there may even be some changes since then! My memories are of a sleepy little resort. We stayed at the Hotel Pollentia, adjacent to the Uyal and separated from the town by a shortish walk - with little in the way of buildings between. The harbour area was very pretty with (unless I've gone totally senile) a masted sailing type boat tied up there. I do recollect playing 5/10 pin bowling in a little building behind the main seafront with a little lad, jumping down from his perch to replace any pins knocked over. Does anyone remember this place? I assume it is long gone and hopefully the little lad didn't suffer too many broken legs! Also, does anyone know of any publications showing Majorca of old, in the way we have publications back home. Anyway, must stop prattling on. Looking forward to seeing PP again.

sandy 25-10-2006 03:35

Boy, are you going to see some changes! Can't stop progress, but hopefully you'll still appreciate the charm of PP. Please do report back on your return. It'd be great to hear from someone who can give a real 'before and after'.

pollensa 25-10-2006 03:58

I think that restaurant Garbi was supposed to have been in the old bowling alley & I'm afraid even that has gone now. I think you may be in for a bit of a shock - there is a lot more of it!

Have a look at this aerial view/map on google
maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Port+de+Pollen%C3%A7a,+Spain

Welcome to the Forum

eckmo 25-10-2006 03:59

Old Puerto Pollensa

Thanks Sandy, will do.

eckmo 25-10-2006 04:05

Old Puerto Pollensa

Thanks also for the satellite link (coming to think of it they didn't have satellites over PP in my day either!!)

Joanne 25-10-2006 17:31

Don't know of any publications but Bar Katy on the Pine Walk has some pictures going back to the 60's

smiddy 25-10-2006 21:12

Old PP

About a year or 2 ago someone(in Glasgow) gave me a copy of the Daily Majorcan circa 1963 (i think) it was interesting reading. Perhaps the DM may be able to help from there archives.

eckmo 26-10-2006 19:01

Old Pollensa

Thanks Joanne and Smiddy. I'll check these out.

PP76 27-10-2006 04:17

Re: Old Pollensa

We remember the bowling alley very well, the young lads put the pins back up for you until the late 70's, early 80's when they put in the electronic system of picking up the pins. It closed down at least 10 years ago and Taylor Woodrow are now about to build apartments on the site.
When you were last in PP the road to Formentor would have run right along the beach past the Diana, this is now a walkway.
It has not lost any of it's charm, have a great time.

PP76

eckmo 27-10-2006 20:16

Old Puerto Pollensa

Thanks PP76 for your comments. Glad to hear that the "pin-pickeruppers" survived "broken-legless" until the 80's! Looking forward to our return trip next week.