Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 23:07
rachel23

Default Selmonella

Hi all,

I travel to Pollensa many times and have done with my family from I was a baby.

We travelled out 14 July and privately rented an apartment in the centre which was advertised on Puerto Pollensa.com and was beautiful and extremely convenient.

I travelled with my parents my 17 year old sister and her friend.

Towards the end of our second week my sister started to feel ill with cramps and vomitting etc we put this down to 'holiday tummy' then last week wed market day we took her for a walk and she passed out. This happend a couple of times though when she was in the apartment in the air con she seemed to perk up so to speak.. we got her home on sat afternoon and drove from the airport straight to the hospital where she was diagnosed with salmonella most likely to have come from food consumed.. however as she got worse when outside we can only assume some of this was air borne.

We eat out at various different restaurants so couldnt possibly pin this to one particular cause.

I just thought it was something everyone should be aware of especially travelling with small children.

rachel
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 23:08
marcusb1

Hi...bad luck hope she gets better. It's caught through eating contaminated food and isn't airborne...see
www.hpa.org.uk/factsheets/salmonella.htm

hope all is well
Old 01-08-2007, 23:26
rachel23

Thats really helpful to read thanks marcus
Old 02-08-2007, 00:36

Rachel - I'm sorry to hear that this happened to your poor sis (it was very considerate of her to get ill at the END of the holiday though and not spoil your fun! ) Hope she is on the mend.

Out of interest - did you get to the bottom of what she ate that was different to the rest of you? I only ask because a couple of years ago I had lamb (at Centric) and had a TERRIBLE stomach bug for the rest of the holiday - seriously :x It was the only thing I ate that was different from hubby and I have never been ill in PP like this before. The food standards there are usually excellent.

Maybe just being paranoid but I tend to avoid lamb ...er and Centric now! :lol
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55

We were all ok this year - but husband had salmonella last year on his return from holiday...the only thing that he had different to the rest of us on our last day was an egg...he was very poorly on our return...when the tests confirmed salmonella it also confirmed the most likley cause was poultry.
Old 03-08-2007, 16:10
rachel23

Hi all,

We still arent sure as we did all eat mostly in the same restaurants the only thing at the moment the moment I can pin point this to is we all had breakfast last wednesday at the daina and my sister had eggs and we didnt. . .

I wouldnt like to show the daina in a bad reflection at all as i know this can happen anywhere at all ...

rachel
Old 04-08-2007, 02:19

About 17 years ago I had an omlette on the last night of our holiday and was so ill that night I practically crawled onto the plane the next day :| :|

To this day I've never dared eat another egg in PP unless it's one I've bought myself and know it's fresh. Maybe it's often eggs that are the culprit as they are more difficult to spot when they've gone off i.e smell and mould ect..unlike meat and fish. It's making me feel ill just thinking about it
Old 04-08-2007, 15:11
Joanne

I have an omlette every year at Tango and fortunately have never had any problems so maybe thats the place to go if you want an egg.
Old 04-08-2007, 19:00
rachel23

Not sure but it was a bit scary as she passed out before getting on the plane and they werent gonna let us fly home but sure we got home and shes on the mend so thats the main thing wont let it put us off pp could happen any where at all....

im a travel agent so just keepin my eye out at the minute hope to get a cheapy in sep got the holiday blues haha
Old 04-08-2007, 22:38

Think you'd be fairly safe with an omelette - it's runny eggs (like when they are fried or soft boiled) or when raw in things like home made mayo that you have to watch out for - especially if pregnant or elderly/ young.

But you can also get Salmonella of all kinds of food if it has been contaminated by other sources.

Here speaks the bore with a certificate in food hygiene! :\
Old 06-08-2007, 05:06
smiddy

Default Salnonella

Sorry to hear about your sister hope she is fit and well, sure she will be. We have been to PP at least 50/60 times and my family of 4 have never had the slightest problem with sickness and we eat out every night

Having been hospitalised in the UK with a extreme form for 14 days, i know how bad it can affect you. It can take up to 48 hours to show symptoms therefore it is very difficult to pin point exactly where you picked it up. The only people who can say for sure are the hospital doctors after thev'e run their tests. For instance, i blamed a fish restaurant i'd been to on the Sat night, it wasn't, it was actually chicken i'd eaten at home.

I have a small circle of restaurants i always stick to and trust, my only advice would be to follow something similar rather than, say, set out to try 14 different ones. I never dine in the squre, i feel it's too busy and rushed, therefore you've got to question how well cooked the food is?

In closing, if you or your family feel unwell, get to the docs, pronto, your insured(I hope) so all you pay is the excess of £65.00
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14
smiddy

Default Salmonnela

Rachel,

Ive just read the last line of my reply, didn't mean to sound so sharp, sorry if it's taken the wrong way, it was really meant for one and all, not you!
Old 06-08-2007, 18:42
rachel23

Default Re: Salmonnela

Hi smiddy,

We were all insured.. being a travel agent I wouldnt leave the country with out it ( heard to many horror stories and its better to be safe than sorry )

Like yourself we stick to a small circle of restaurants. Also like yourself we looked to a particular restaurant in the square but it was actually down to eggs she had for breakfast elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback

Rachel
Old 22-08-2007, 01:19
Roy and Katie

A waiter recently told us that there was a problem with salmomella in eggs in Mallorca, and now all ali oli has to be supplied from a bottle rather than being homemade.
Old 22-08-2007, 16:03
Marsha

In November 2006 the BBC reported that salmonella was present in one in every eight boxes of eggs imported from Spain. Perhaps it's because of this that I don't tend to have chucky egg and soldiers for brekkie when I'm there