Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2007, 23:01
marcella

Default Animal sanctuary

I have been to PP a few times and have seen a couple of mentions of an animal sanctuary near Porto Pollensa or Pollensa - I would be really interested in finding out more about it - does anyone know anything?
Also- I saw some posters a few visits ago regarding stray cats - I think it was about a neutering policy they were carrying out. I am just back from PP and noticed quite a few stray kittens - one had been hit by a car and another very skinny one was hiding under a parked car in the main street and was going up inside the car engine.
Anyone know anything about what they do with stray cats? They should be fairly managable with a neutering poilicy in an island?

Tha
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 22:28

Hi Marcella,

The animal refuge was very near to our villa and at around 5pm every evening we'd hear a huge din of dogs barking as they were fed (I presume!).

The animal refuge is out in the country - if you're heading towards the old town of Pollensa along the main road from PP, there is a turning on the left just before the turn to Cala San Vicente. It has a couple of waste bins and a sign pointing out the animal refuge. Just follow this narrow road as it winds through the countryside.

Changing the subject slightly, our villa gardens backed onto a field with goats who were all "hobbled" - that is, one of their front legs was tied to one of the back legs which meant they could only hobble about and couldn't move freely. One small goat had a block of wood clamped to its horns.

We found this quite distressing and wondered whether this sort of practice is outlawed in Mallorca. We saw no other goats hobbled like this.

As for cats, we had two who came to visit us regularly - they were very thin but looked in good health. I think cats abroad are thinner in general, although I did see an enormous one sitting outside Mollie's Cafe the other day - he/she looked very content!

Jane
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55

Oh Jane - that's horrible what they've done to that poor goat. Surely that's not legal?

Lala
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57

Hi Lala,

Yes, it was horrible, but they didn't seem to be suffering and quite happily hobbled about. One of my favourites had a foot missing on one of his legs but he kept up with the others really well. Needless to say he was picked out for special treatment (I managed to get most of our leftover bread to him).

I would loved to have taken him home with me and given him a lovely life, but that's one of the downsides to travelling. You build up a rapport with animals and then have to leave them after two weeks. We left a note for the next occupants of our villa so I can only hope they felt the same about goats as we did!

Jane
Old 03-09-2007, 14:52

I know what you mean Jane - I once inherited 6 kittens and a feeding mother from a British lady who had looked after them for 2 weeks! Two weeks later the wee ones were taking their first bite of the catfood I gave their mum when I had to find another sympathetic Brit to "pass" them onto!

Just about worried myself sick leaving them but I was rewarded 2 years later when I met the mother cat again who was in good health and had become much less timid. My hubby could swear she'd remembered me she seemed so pleased to see me but the waiter at the Singala told me that everyone feeds her now! :lol

A happy ending! On the subject of animal sanctuaries there used to be an older lady who went around feeding all the cats - you used to see the dried food and water bowls.

Lala
Old 06-04-2008, 19:03

Unhappy

Does anyone know the law in Mallorca regarding possible neglect /cruelty to animals. In the house next to our apartment is a dog that in my opinion is being mistreated..tethered in a small back yard 24/7. She is on his own all day as the owners are at work and the children at school. She has nothing to stimulate her as the garden is surounded by a 6ft wall so she just sleeps all day and night. Our balcony overlooks the garden and I often call out to her but the poor thing is so depressed she barely looks up. When she stands up her tail is between her legs and she is becoming very thin. The owners usually arrive home at 6.15 and when she hears their car she starts wagging her tail like mad but they ignore her completely and go into the house. The woman does come out and put down food at some point but never shows her any affection. I have never seen her being taken for a walk so she goes to the loo in the garden (very hygeinic with young children!!) We normally go to PP every couple of months but hadn't been since the beginning of January when we were over at Easter. She had deteriorated dramatically...I burst into tears when I saw her, but I'm not sure what (if anyhting) I can do about it.

Does anyone know if the people from the animal refuge visit properties, like the RSPCA would do in this country, if a case of neglect is reported? Or if there is another organisation I could contact. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Debs
Old 06-04-2008, 19:34

what is the point of people like that keeping animals, it makes me sick, but honestly what can you do? gpm
Old 06-04-2008, 20:28

You could try the shelter in PP they may be able to help
Old 06-04-2008, 20:49

Debz - are you in Siller by any chance? We used to see a spaniel being kept in exactly those circumstances - we used to feed it but it never even got clean water. I feel ill just thinking about it.

Sad to say that this just highlights that pets are treated differently abroad.

Lala
Old 06-04-2008, 23:53

Lala.. no not in Siller in Pinaret. It makes me feel ill as well and not a day goes by without me thinking of her..as soon as I get to the apartment the first thing I do is rush to the balcony to look at her. We did drive to the animal refuge when we were last there but it was shut to visitors over Easter.

If anyone has an email address or telephone number for the refuge I would be really grateful.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:56
Founder

See this article 'Pets Corner' from Talk of the North http://puertopollensa.com/talkofthen...nt/view/83/54/ as it gives both a telephone number & website for Victoria's Animal Refuge in Alcudia.

Ann features them in every edition of TOTN so I should think she has some connections too.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:16

hi,
I hope you find this website useful www.proanimalesmallorca.org for Alcudia and Puerto pollensa animal refuges which care for abandoned and mistreated animals . Telephone number for Victorias animal shelter in pollenca is 971 53 21 80 or www.refugifina.org.
regards Tanya.
Old 07-04-2008, 14:13

Thanks for posting that Tanya, we visited the refuge in Pollenca in August but lost the contact and bank details she gave us then, so I can now hopefully send her some money, very nice people there doing great work. Just one thing they are not really set up for visitors, its not like Battersea dogs home most of the dogs are running free and can be quite over whelmed when people turn up, they are happy to show you around but its mainly for bringing in and adopting animals, they speak very little English, luckily there was a German visitor there who translated for us. So don’t let me put you off, but just be prepared for dozens of dogs and cats that will break your heart and make you want to adopt them all and take them home with you.
Old 07-04-2008, 20:34

Thank you Pollensa and tanya for the info. I will certainly email and see if I can get some advice on what,if anything ,can be done.

Debs
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31

Unhappy

Debs - all I can find is the web site for the refuge in Alcudia - www.proanimalesmallorca.org - which although it appears to just be asking for support, actually then gives an e mail adds to contact them. You may be able to send them a message with basic details of your concern and they can advise who to call or what other action to take.