Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 23:13
liz d

Default 04/10 storms with video

On Thursday, about 5ish we went for a beer in cafe 1919. We noticed the waiters looking up at the sky, it was still very sunny. We started to amble back along the front and saw all the restaurants clearing all the tables that had just been laid for dinner and folding down umbrellas. By the time we had reached the Tex-Mex place on the front a thick black menacing cloud was bubbling up in the mountains. The lights all flickered and mobile phone signals went, our pace quickened slightly. Very quickly it went dark and the sky went a wierd muddy green colour. The cloud was a thick band of black and it was swirling down towards the ground. We arrived back to the Oro playa just as the storm unleashed it's full force, All the power went out and the storm picked up chairs, tables etc and hurled them acrosss the pool area, The pool side was cleared quickly by the staff. We watched the storm batter down. I have never seen weather like it. The storm passed in about 30 mins leaving water falls on the tramantana, flooded roads and several restaurants with floods. damage and carnage along the front. Check out my video below taken from the Oro Playa which is also posted on You Tube. Incidently, we ventured out for dinner, taking the back road to the square, avoiding floods and had a great Indian watching the clean up. we were told that the tide earlier that day was the highest they had seen in 5 years and had been caused by the storm, it washed away a couple of the sand castle sculptures and the odd hamacas, so a word of warning, if you see an unusually high tide, it could be an early warning of a massive storm. We also heard that when the storm landed in Palma it was a Tornado, I think it still was when it reached Puerto Pollensa. The following morning the weather was glorious and stayed that way for the rest of week!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8...ed&search=

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F...er&search=

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9...ed&search=
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 04:01

One things for sure when it rains in Spain it does it spectacuarly :eek

Fantastic video Liz, and at least it cleared the air and the weather improved afterwards!! Things could only have got better after that

Debs
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08

Wow! Now that's what I call rain. :eek
Old 08-10-2007, 05:59

Hi Liz,
Welcome to the forum.
What fantastic videos. I've seen weather like that in October before but not that much rain. It must have been a bit frightening, good to read that the sun came out again.
PeRu
Old 08-10-2007, 20:03

Wow - experienced an electrical storm in PP many years ago but that is just incredible!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33
Linzzzz

When we were there in Sept we experienced a really wild electrical storm - we were stranded in our apartment for 2 hours one night - I'd never seen anything like it, although I don't think it was as bad as this one - wow, that really was a tornado!. I only ever see storms like that in Spain.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48

Hi Liz

Wow! Your videos are unbelievable. I arrived the following morning and although everyone was talking about the storm, all that was left was a few puddles on the ground and I could never have imagined it was quite that bad. Makes me realise how fortunate we were to have had such a glorious weekend. Thankfully raincoats and brolley stayed locked in the suitcase.
Old 09-10-2007, 15:35

Sounds like you had a good weekend LK. Great that the weather was kind. Would you go back for a short break?
Old 09-10-2007, 22:27

Most definitely lala. It was just so instantly relaxing. We were there by lunchtime Friday and left after breakfast on Monday but to be honest it felt like longer. I love a city break, but it was so nice just to chill and potter around and the lovely October weather was the icing on the cake.

According to the Daily Bulletin, Palma Airport actually closed for half an hour during the storms so it may have been a different story if we'd arrived on Thursday!