Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 09:47

“I would prefer to go to Tango, but alas, not to be, although we did that in the last year that Tango traded”

We really miss Tango too and secretly wish every time we visit that it’s going to do a magical return
joey36, mike_dublin, Tommo and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 31-07-2023, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post
I do follow the Forum regularly, and particularly now as our annual trip to the port comes around.

Last year we were dining on some excellent steaks in Nostalgia, when the barman came out to inform us of the passing away of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 2nd. Will remember that moment always - sort of brought the night to a very abrupt end. And, as I always like to post at least a gastronomic report of our holidays, it unfortunately curtailed that.

However, this year I will try to make amends, as out from 22nd August to 6th September, I have maybe missed a post or two, but I don't think so, so I would just ask if anyone has eaten in Celia's yet, and what the food offering is? Also, as previously posted, out this year with the whole family, which includes 2 birthdays. So with a party of 11 to keep happy, any updates or suggestions of places to dine would be welcomed. Obviously I would prefer to go to Tango, but alas, not to be, although we did that in the last year that Tango traded. Also used Na Ruixa and Plaza Uno in the past for birthday bashes, and very good they were too. But open to new suggestions,

Hopefully bump into some of you this trip.
With that many to feed I would suggest Neptuno for a great tapas. They are not adverse to moving the tables around in order to cater for parties. Good value too. New last may was Cerviche, a Peruvian restuarent that we enjoyed.
Have a good time.
Tangoman likes this.
Old 26-09-2023, 12:48

Default Trip Report

Not quite sure why I'm doing this as nobody else seems to be, but here goes one more time.

Stayed in Miramar Apartments from 22nd August until 6th September. Family turned up on weekend of Saturday/Sunday 26th/27th for one week - 9 of them, 5 adults and 4 children, all staying at The Puerto Azul.

First night we(Sandra and I} went to Plaza Uno - one of our favourites. I had the John Dory, which I had never tried before. It was superb, beautifully cooked - Sandra had the Grilled Chicken with Pepper Sauce, also very good. Finished with Creme Caramel - lovely. Service great as usual.

During week we went twice for Breakfast/Elevenses to the Hoposa Hotel in the square - is it The Cultural? Anyhow, the food was excellent, with a great choice of well priced options - I recommend the American Breakfast with toast, jam, butter, pancakes, bacon, eggs (fried or scrambled), tea or coffee. Brilliant. I am pretty sure that once discovered it will do very well, and it must have the quickest service from ordering to eating in PP. Will be back.

Then, as guests of the family, we went to Puerto Azul for lunch one day. Must say, I wasn't expecting much from an all inclusive type Hotel, but was pleasantly surprised. They had a good range of options for adults and kids, and all at very reasonable prices. Had promised myself a Tequila Sunrise Cocktail here, which was very good, delivered by a barman who knows how to smile and have a laugh with the guests - great service again.

Then, during the family week we went back to Plaza Uno for a family meal - well, we were celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary year. Dad (me) was in the chair, but Hey Ho!! Sergio served up the full range of meals with a smile, and everyone said they had enjoyed the experience. Once again, super service from Sergio and his team who ensured we had a very enjoyable evening. (Why do the ladies always smile at him???)

Then back again for an evening meal at Puerto Azul, courtesy of No. 1 son, who was our host. I have to say that the range of food available was very good, particularly for a buffet operation, They still maintained a high level of customer service. I can't comment on value for money, but our son said he was happy with the prices during his stay. It was interesting to go there, as we had been before for a few drinks many years ago, when our sons we very young, and we were staying at the Oro Playa (who remembers that?). Hasn't changed that much.

Another evening we went out late and ended up at Arux. Good chat with the owner, who was bemoaning the fact that Nostalgia, now Celia's, did not sell food, but had a great kitchen next door which they wouldn't let him use. Bit of a waste if you ask me. Anyway, the tapas were very good, but if he keeps on serving portions of that size he will go bankrupt soon - he agreed with me on that one!!! Good meal but limited choice. However all choices were very tasty.

As mentioned on an earlier post we got a takeaway Pizza from Pronto Pizza very late on one evening when we were having a relaxing night in. Very, very good!! Quick service for a basic Margherita, which was well loaded with cheese, and cheap as chips. Will be back next year,

On our final night we went back to Plaza Uno once again, where we were royally looked after by Andreas (Sergio's partner) and his son. I had a lovely steak and Sandra had chicken again. Ended up with a Drambuie on the house - a pleasant surprise.

On an earlier occasion we ventured out to Marc's, and were surprised by the quality of the Set Menu at 17 Euro 50 Cents. A good choice I had the Gazpacho, excellent, followed by the steak which was also good. Sandra didn't have a starter but had the Salmon main course, accompanied by a Honey and Mustard sauce - a strange combination we thought, but it was apparently excellent.

Also had good experiences at good old IRU - up to usual standard, and a great night at BRISAS where one of the kids (12 years old) decided to pick his own lobster - he enjoyed it apparently. However, one of the other kids (9 years old) was very upset at this wanton act of murder - I guess that's the way it goes. She's over it now!

Usual stop offs at the Rib House (Dakota?), everyone happy, and Pascalinos for a few drinks with my sons (nice G'n'T there) - both pretty good. And an excellent light lunch for just the two of us at Laroc one day before the kids arrived - must be the best breeze in PP blowing off the sea just there - very refreshing.

Others I have missed, but no bad experiences at all, apart from the first Sunday when I watched my eldest sons flight from East Midlands to Palma on Flight Radar 24 - the day of the storm - unbelievable. The flight lasted nearly 5 hours, during which they appeared more likely to land in Algeria than Spain at one point, and they also had clearance for a landing slot in Valencia, before finally getting to land in Palma - the only ones to do so that afternoon. I must say that I was impressed with the quick work done by council staff to clean up the mess in PP the next day. And also, never fail to be amazed at end of August when the resort is rammed with families with children one day, and then bereft of kids almost entirely the next day on 1st September.

All in all, another great, roasting holiday in PP - never had a bad one yet in all those years. see you all next year.
Sharonh, LK1960, joey36 and 11 others like this.
Old 26-09-2023, 13:43

@Tangoman

Thank you for taking the time to write up the brilliant trip report.

Sure remember staying in the Oro Playa.
Main thing about is that it is in PP.
Sharonh, Tangoman and PPToni like this.
Old 26-09-2023, 18:07

What an interesting Trip Report…..Thank you. I have to admit that I’ve given up posting reports as no one seemed to be very interested any more. I’m glad you’ve not given up, that was a great read. Hearty congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary!
Old 26-09-2023, 23:33

Disorderly - personally, I wouldn’t assume that if a Post doesn’t draw a reply, comment, a ‘like’ or whatever, it’s not interesting to the readers of this Forum. Sad as it may seem, virtually every day I look at all recent Posts and only now and again react to any of them, but I do find them all interesting..
Sharonh, Lorenzo, CharlieV and 2 others like this.
Old 27-09-2023, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
With that many to feed I would suggest Neptuno for a great tapas. They are not adverse to moving the tables around in order to cater for parties. Good value too. New last may was Cerviche, a Peruvian restuarent that we enjoyed.
Have a good time.
Sadly, Cerviche has closed down.
Old 27-09-2023, 08:31

Tangoman - with regards to Arux and Celia's, there are always 2 sides to a story. Do not believe all you are told, especially from business owners.
Old 27-09-2023, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacu View Post
Disorderly - personally, I wouldn’t assume that if a Post doesn’t draw a reply, comment, a ‘like’ or whatever, it’s not interesting to the readers of this Forum. Sad as it may seem, virtually every day I look at all recent Posts and only now and again react to any of them, but I do find them all interesting..
Point taken, and well made. However, I’m sure most people would sadly agree that the number of threads, posts and participants to this Forum is a fraction of the activity we used to see in years gone by.
Old 27-09-2023, 21:16

I've definitely missed the trip reports. We have not been able to visit for 4 years now and not sure when we will be able to return so I really enjoy reading about other visits. I like to hear about the new and changing restaurants. It will all be so different when we can eventually return.

I remember in the past there would be so much 'banter' between some of the posts...it was quite entertaining!
Old 28-09-2023, 10:36

This was a post from 2009:

Hi Pollensa

We don't seem to be getting many trip reports this year would it be possible to advise members on how to post a trip report. The trip reports made really good reading and it was useful to hear about all the experiences (good & bad).

Thanks

Which suggests that Trip Reports have been on a downward trend for a long time. I never did Facebook, until I bought a place here, but with 26k people on one group alone, that is clearly a great source of information....albeit with a lot of repetitive questions!
Sharonh and PPToni like this.
Old 28-09-2023, 17:58

Well, there I was saying what little activity there was…….and then Harters pops up with several reviews. It must have taken ages to write all those posts and what a good read they are too! I’ve been to most of the restaurants reviewed and there’s not much to disagree with there. Thank you Harters!

If you’ve read and enjoyed those reviews folks, please do post to say so and get some long missed banter going on the good old Forum.
Old 28-09-2023, 20:48
Administrator

Can I just take this opportunity to say thank you all for all of your contributions to the forum. It is hard to keep the momentum on a forum like this when Facebook groups and social media, as Rockape mentioned previously, seem to be the way forward.
But as long as people keep posting, the forum can carry on.

I think there are still plenty of people interested in what you all have to say judging by the post views and even seeing mentions of the forum on social media. As was also said earlier, just because a visible response or like isn't there, doesn't mean it's not been helpful to somebody.

And Harters, what an amazing effort with all of those reviews you posted!! 👏
I'm positive they will be a real interesting read to many of us members and guests and may spur people on to add a few of their own. Thank you.

Thanks everybody

Toni 😁
Sharonh, LK1960, joey36 and 7 others like this.
Old 29-09-2023, 00:06

I just typed (for me) a longish message, which disappeared into the ether (?). I’ve almost lost the will, but the gist was .. 1) I think many people have been put off posting for fear of ‘hostile’ reactions, eg what happened during Brexit (when Sparky had to step in to cool things), and 2) this site must be kept upto date (to compete with and for those looking for info) - eg the taxi fares section Palma/PP is 7 years out of date, the bars/restaurants section needs attention. If someone new to PP looks at that and realises that they cannot rely on the info, they will think ‘what can they rely on’..
joey36, mike_dublin and Tangoman like this.
Old 29-09-2023, 10:07

I'm not surprised by the decline in traffic on this forum. It's happened on every forum I know (not just travel related ones), over recent years. Many folk now use Facebook or Twitter as their primary source. Sorry to say but I think forums are in terminal decline. But, seeing as I'm here, this is my report on our recent trip (originally posted to the Tripadvisor forum)

"I can’t remember when we first came on holiday to the Pollensa area. Sometime in the 1990s, though. On that trip, we stayed in the Port at an apartment complex (which, looking at StreetView, I don’t think can exist anymore). Can’t recall its name or exact location, other than it was a road or two inland from the Hobby Club complex. On subsequent visits, we’ve rented villas out in the countryside and have had the benefits of a hire car. But, for a various reasons, we felt we wanted to be more central for this trip, which is a first return to the area since 2016.

Comparatively, little seems to have changed in the Port since then. Businesses have closed, of course and others have opened. But it still has the same relaxed general ambiance, enhanced since our last visit by the traffic free main drag in the evening. Of course, as everywhere, bikes and motorised scooters seemed to be exempt from the restrictions and whizz along wherever they please with the presumed intent of mowing down an elderly tourist no longer agile enough to leap out of their way (rant ends). It’s not a late night place with many restaurants emptying out by mid evening and relatively few people strolling along the Pine Walk. I had forgotten just how British a resort it is. Other than locals, folk speaking other languages seemed very few and far between. It seemed a bit odd to not often hear the voices of Northern or Eastern Europe, as you do in many other Spanish resort areas.

Flights from Manchester were with Ryanair, which had a one hour delay outbound and about thirty minutes delay inbound. We’d booked a transfer with Taxis Conde, who were waiting for us when we arrived (confirming he was there with a text as we waited for bags). Details for our return trip were confirmed by text the day prior and, again, the driver was waiting for us at the pickup time. Thoroughly recommended.

We stayed in one of the Maricel 1 apartments. Check in is at the Miramar Hotel which owns the apartments. Good location. Nice clean apartment, generally well furnished.

We like holidays where you’re on the move , whether a touring holiday or a cruise.. They are always interesting and enjoyable, if not necessarily the most relaxing. So, there’s a place for “fly and flop” holidays like this one. I walk more than at home. Read more. Sleep more. And eat more. We really didn’t do much. The Wednesday market was as exciting as it got – bought some nice fruit and some wildly expensive olives

Speaking of eating, we ate somewhere different every night, with the occasional breakfast and lunch out. Noting the comments on the forum that taxi availability can be an issue, we chose not to visit favourite restaurants in Pollensa and Alcudia ( like 365 at the Son Brull and Jardin in Puerto Alcudia), so just ate in the Port. It was no hardship and we generally had nice food. Some places were new to us and some we’ve gone to for years. Here’s the list. I’ve posted reviews of all of them so, if anyone is interested, go to my profile page and click from there.

Breakfast – Bocchoris

Lunch – El Posito, Moll de Bellagio, Miramar

Dinner – Cappuccino, Dos Kanallas Street Gourmet, Celler La Parra, Can Ferrra, La Llonja, Bar Coral, Los Faroles, Osteria N15, IRU, Stay.

It was a good holiday and we’ve came back relaxed and rested. We arrived on 16/9, staying for 10 nights. Weather was generally good. Very hot the first couple of days and we had a couple of so days where it was cloudy or just hazy sunshine. We’re now ready for our next holidays (a winter sun trip to Tenerife, as usual and a transatlantic cruise next year). But we will be back to the Pollensa area and hope that it won’t be as long a gap as this time. "

Sharonh, joey36, El Gordo and 7 others like this.